PDA

View Full Version : Hermione Scarf & Hat

DontCallMeDora
07-16-2009, 09:44 PM
I am currently working on (just started today) the hat and scarf Hermione Granger wears in the 6th Harry Potter movie. Luckily, I found the hat pattern somewhere, because I am sure I wouldn't have been able to improvise it. I am improvising the scarf and what I thought was going to be difficult has turned out to be easy, but complicated and makes concentration a necessity! I've never switched colors so much!

I have attached a pic with the originals so you all know what I am talking about!

Slim
07-17-2009, 07:57 AM
That scarf is beautiful! I'd love to have a pattern for it if you decide to write it up!

sweetiekxx
07-17-2009, 08:02 AM
wow I love the colouring of the scarf, its very subtle and smooth

thecatsmother
07-17-2009, 09:22 AM
looks great and the colours are very nice together.I love the projects that keep me engrossed I find it relaxing...as in a break from any worries I have going on.

DontCallMeDora
07-17-2009, 09:57 AM
Once I finish the scarf and make sure everything works right, I will post the pattern...glad you like it.

margz3
07-17-2009, 10:45 AM
Wow, looks GREAT so far :thumbsup: Can't wait to see the fo's!

ladyjessica
07-17-2009, 02:51 PM
Your scarf looks wonderful so far. I would also love to have the pattern if you write it up. :teehee: I've really been wanting to make this hat for a while. I guess I should get started. Great work!

DontCallMeDora
07-17-2009, 03:16 PM
I am glad you all like it so far. It's proving to not be a difficult as I would have imagined it to be and I look forward to finishing it. I will write up the pattern when it's finished.:knitting:

evona
07-17-2009, 04:22 PM
Beautiful! I just love color work :inlove:

dejamo85
07-17-2009, 05:18 PM
What a beautiful scarf! I think you are doing an amazing job, it looks just like Hermione's. I am also looking forward for the pattern if you choose to post it.
Looking forward to the FO's!

mks22300
07-17-2009, 07:19 PM
Ooo, it's looking great! I just love the hat and scarf she wears and I can't wait to see your scarf finished!

ArtLady1981
07-17-2009, 07:25 PM
This will be very nice! You're very brave to take on this Fair Isle knititng project! But I always say, "Necessity is the incentive for diligence!"

DontCallMeDora
07-18-2009, 11:22 PM
I may have lost my mind, but after watching the movie again today, I am making gloves to match my hat because she had gloves to match her hat. I have never made gloves, knitted a hat in the round or done Fair Isle knitting...this entire project is ambitious and insane...thanks for the support. The scarf is coming along well and as son as I finish it I will post the pattern. Until then...:knitting:

WandaT
07-19-2009, 08:27 AM
Great job!!! It's going to look wonderful!

pinksugar
07-20-2009, 02:01 AM
what a gorgeous scarf. I really do love Hermione's fashion in the movies.

I'm sure it will look gorgeous when it's finished! I'm currently working on the gryffindor scarf from the Prisoner of Azkaban movie.

pinksugar
07-20-2009, 08:09 AM
I forgot to say - what about the hat? are you writing your own pattern for this or working off something found off the internet? :)

DontCallMeDora
07-20-2009, 10:54 AM
I found a pattern for it at JL Yarnworks (http://jlyarnworks.blogspot.com/2008/07/hermiones-cable-eyelet-hat.html)...

She also has a pattern up for the scarf, but I will still be posting the one I am using when I am done.

AH1OZ
07-20-2009, 01:19 PM
she has some great scarves!

pinksugar
07-20-2009, 09:32 PM
thanks for the link... looks great! a possible future project I think!

DontCallMeDora
07-21-2009, 11:53 AM
Here's an update of my work. I have ripped out the scarf twice, rewritten the pattern and think I finally like the way it's going...making up your own pattern will force you to do that sometimes...

mks22300
07-21-2009, 07:31 PM
Are you working the scarf in the round or flat?

DontCallMeDora
07-21-2009, 11:46 PM
I am now working it in the round so that people will never see the back with all the Fair Isle side-effects...

pinksugar
07-22-2009, 01:20 AM
that's a good idea. Will you do the back totally plain?

DontCallMeDora
07-22-2009, 09:56 AM
No, I reworked my pattern chart so that it goes all the way around-it's not perfect, but I think as long as no one is intensely scrutinizing my scarf, they won't notice...that way it can twist and turn in the wind and no one will ever be the wiser on anything!

After I finish it and I post the pattern, i will post my final chart so that you can see what I am talking about and use it for yourselves!

bambi
07-22-2009, 10:45 AM
Very pretty!

Bambi

pinksugar
07-25-2009, 09:18 AM
can't wait to see the FO!

drquinnfan937
11-30-2010, 10:54 PM
dontcallmedora, I'm working on this scarf too!!!!!

I had also found the pattern in the same place you did, and taught myself to knit fair isle because I LOVED the pattern and Hermione's scarf so much. It really is beautiful, but I'm a perfectionist, so I'm a little aggravated at places it's not just right.

I knitted in the round on a circular needle.

I'm really happy with the way it's all coming out, and I'm over halfway done and worked on it like crazy over the Thanksgiving break and am now taking a break because I see stitches when I close my eyes. BUT, there is one mistake that occurred during the whole thing. I somehow added a stitch after the 2nd pattern repeat or so, and that added a white line through the meeting point of every row, and I thought I'd just have to live with it, so I kept knitting a white ( that one extra) every time around. It drove me crazy but I didn't want to take it all out.

Then what happened was I accidentally added another stitch and figured out that I could knit two together:aww: ( yeah, I know, where was my mind?) and so I fixed it completely, too bad I hadn't fixed it earlier because now me and my OCD is driving me up the wall.

Oh well... live and learn.
I also don't have any clue how to end it, as I'm not really sure how I figured out the scarf in the first place, so I suppose I'll get back on here and ask.

I'd love to see your finished scarf so we can compare!!!
:cheering: