PDA

View Full Version : Magic Loop or DPNs?

megaknit
07-25-2009, 06:45 AM
Hello! I'm making my first attempt at using double pointed needles to knit a teddy bear, and I can't get anywhere with it! It's too fiddly for me and I can't even hold the needles, much less knit from them. I'm thinking of trying Magic Loop (which I have also never done before). It looks a lot easier. Will a pattern written for DPNs translate to magic loop knitting?

Irishmam
07-25-2009, 07:07 AM
I am afraid I cannot answer your question but want to wish you good luck with the Magic Loop - it got the better of me!

LizzieK8
07-25-2009, 08:48 AM
Neither is very easy when you're learning, and especially in the first couple rounds. It's just plain futzy to use needles in a small space at the beginning.

With that said, overall, I think ML might be easier because there are less needles to fiddle with. However, have DPN skills is a good thing when you don't have a the right long circular needle for the job.

Try knitting the first couple of rounds flat instead of in the round and then join in the round. Having that few rows of knitting to hang on to while situating the DPNs or two ML needles does make it easier. The tail can be used to sew up that little seam.

cindycactus
07-25-2009, 08:59 AM
Since I learned to knit on DPNs I never gave ML a chance. It is still funky to get the first few rows started on DPN but just hang in there. I guess it is what is easier for you. :knitting:

globaltraveler
07-25-2009, 11:28 AM
Both methods are equally easy, and both methods are equally fussy, depending on which way you choose to look at it. :) It's just familiarity, really -- I think both are one of those things that you have to work with a fair amount to feel comfy with them. I use both now, but since I'm traveling, I usually use Magic Loop more often simply because DPNs are more difficult to keep track of while you're traveling.

And yes, I've never run across anything yet that you can do on DPNs that you can't on circulars, one way or another, although occasionally you might run into something that's easier done with two circulars.

Jan in CA
07-25-2009, 12:25 PM
Neither IMO. I prefer the two circular needle method.

All methods of knitting in the round are in the advanced technique section of the videos. :thumbsup:

Mommy22alyns
07-25-2009, 12:45 PM
I love Magic Loop! :heart: Anything circular you do on DPNs you can do in ML. Give it a try! I might have given up socks without it.

suzeeq
07-25-2009, 01:41 PM
I like magic loop (or the single loop variation) or 2 circs. I only have one set of dpns and use them sometimes if the yarn size works for them, but I bought them 30+ yrs ago to try them out and haven't bought another set since.

Crycket
07-25-2009, 02:22 PM
I love DPNs....I have discovered Magic Loop and I love it too!

I should think you could translate easy enough....I have only ever used Magic Loop for socks....

megaknit
07-26-2009, 10:31 AM
Thanks everyone. I have made now made sense of Magic Loop and it is definitely the way for me! :cheering: