PDA

View Full Version : Want to knit an Aran fisherman sweater.

wellslipmystitches
07-25-2009, 04:13 PM
Have looked at some patterns. I can do the cables etc., however, one pattern I saw in Lionbrand makes me wonder how large a sweater should be. The pattern - which doesn't inspire me http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/kwe-fishermanPullover.html?noImages= puts more than 40 st. increases in two rows after the sleeve cuff. I know that makes a balloon type sleeve but how big were those Irish fishermen? Are these sleeves a place to stash fish or maybe the sweater is meant for 2 Irish fisherman to keep warm together in the North Atlantic. I don't get it. Is this a typical pattern? Am designing my own for my brother which leads to many math problems, but just wonder how loose is loose? Jean

Ingrid
07-25-2009, 04:51 PM
I don't think that's typical. There is an increase after the cuffs, but 40 stitches?

Look at some of the patterns at www.knittingpatterncentral.com to get an idea of a 'typical' sweater.

suzeeq
07-25-2009, 05:45 PM
Yep, after the ribbing you inc 20 sts on a purl row, then inc 24 sts on the next row. That's not usual, but maybe it's to avoid having to inc gradually and keep in the pattern, or have more repeats of the cable pattern on the sleeves. Though looking further, you increase more after all. So you go from a 42 st cast on, inc to 86 sts in 2 rows, then inc every 3rd row and end up with 128 sts. It's a drop shoulder sweater so you need the 128 sts for the armhole, but I don't see why you couldn't inc the 44 sts more gradually and keep increasing during what's supposed to be the straight part. Maybe inc 10 and 12 sts on the first 2 rows....

This is an 80s style really baggy pattern - the finished measurement ends up at 48", and I guess one size fits all in spite of it being an adult 'medium'.