PDA

View Full Version : I HATE Toe Up Socks!!!!!!!!

Arielluria
07-28-2009, 03:35 PM
I'm TRYING to get through my first couple of toe up socks, and I absolutely HATE it! I'm thinking of frogging both pairs and starting over with another pattern. It's not the pattern, but the heel that I detest!

How do you feel about toe ups?:hmm:

mathwizard
07-28-2009, 03:55 PM
I can't help you there as I am going to try toe up next. I am hoping it can be done on circulars as that is all I use. So I can't do the poll as I haven't done toe up yet. My LYS group likes them.

Mirl56
07-28-2009, 04:15 PM
Oh, if it's a short row heel you're hating, I'm with you. I've tried several times, I just don't like them. Plus I'm not real crazy how they fit my feet.

My next toe up I'm going to use a gusset heel like this one:
http://www.socknitters.com/toe-up/index.htm

Lisa R.
07-28-2009, 04:58 PM
I'm with you. I tried a pattern a while back, and ended up frogging it. Got all the way to the heel, ripped out the heel about 4 times and still couldn't get it right. ICK!

Maybe if I had someone to show me...but for now, I love cuff down, so that works for me. :)

newamy
07-28-2009, 07:21 PM
I've made a toe up pair and they turned out okay...I can do a short row heel, I did one one some little slippers and top down socks before. But what I really didn't like was the bind off, I made it too tight and had to redo, I did it the loosest way I knew how and it still was a bit tight.

I have seen toe up patterns with gusset heels and have been interested in trying one like that but it's the bind off at the end that stops me.

Arielluria
07-28-2009, 07:27 PM
I re-watched Knitty Gritty with Cookie A doing her Twinkle Toe socks which has a gusset increase yada yada yada for about the 5th time last night. That's when I finally said........fughettaboutit!!!!!!!! :hmm:

I see no one is voting that they prefer toe ups. So I don't feel so badly! :teehee:

Plantgoddess+
07-28-2009, 07:42 PM
The only advantage I can see is if you really want to use all of your yarn on the socks with no leftovers. I have done several different toe up patterns and eh, I'm not thrilled. I can try on cuff down socks as I work which is one of the pluses that toe up proponents talk about.
I prefer the heel on toe down as well and not fond of the toe up cast ons. I also like custom shaping my toe to fit my foot on cuff down. I know I could adjust a cast on toe to fit my foot, but socks for me are pretty mindless knitting once I get my pattern on the cuff memorized.

cristina61
07-28-2009, 08:07 PM
I started knitting toe-up because I was too lazy to knit a gauge swatch and/or I could never get the CO number right when I did cuff-down. I'd get the sock half knit and realize it was too big or too small to fit and have to start over!

I just learned how to do short-row heels and I like them! I also like being able to try the socks on as I go.

For the too-tight BO -- I've had that happen several times and it's so frustrating!! Have you tried the sewn bind-off? I learned it from Silver's Sock Class (I think), and that one always works for me when everything else comes out too tight.

newamy
07-28-2009, 10:54 PM
For the too-tight BO -- I've had that happen several times and it's so frustrating!! Have you tried the sewn bind-off? I learned it from Silver's Sock Class (I think), and that one always works for me when everything else comes out too tight.

On the socks in question that is exactly what I did when I saw it was too tight, it was better, but still tight. I've done successful sewn bind offs on other things so I thought it would work nicely but I still wasn't pleased.

Crycket
07-29-2009, 12:01 AM
I just don't like the way the toe feels...the one pair I did...the toes were a little pointer than other socks I have made...

I will make one more go with a different pattern...but if it doesn't wow me...I am going to stick to cuff down!

mathwizard
07-29-2009, 07:29 AM
In the latest issue of Cast ON there is a very informative section on toe-up socks with real good pictures and a really great "Stitch Anatomy: Entrelac Lesson" . I looked at the sock article was really impressed and am not afraid to do toe-up socks. The entrelac article I looked at the pictures and am saving that for an in depth look!!!!

knitmama
07-29-2009, 08:46 AM
I really enjoy both. For me, if I love the pattern then the construction doesn't matter. I really dislike the short row heel though so I generally swap in a different heel.

margz3
07-29-2009, 09:25 AM
I am working on my first pair of socks (well, like the 5th attempt at socks) and they are toe up on 2 circs - Ok for me, but I was having no luck doing the cuff down version w/dpns. Having no experience with other heels, I'm can't say what I prefer, however I did end up with a big hole on one side of the heel, which I obviously don't like, and I think it's because of the short row thing! I do like being able to try them on as I go!

kellyh57
07-29-2009, 10:28 AM
I'm doing 2 at a time toe-up now and LOVE it. I bought the book to learn 2 at a time cuff-down but haven't tried it yet. I had checked out Wendy Johnson's book from the library (Socks from the Toe Up) and wanted to get as much as I could out of it before I had to turn it in. I think it all depends on how you learn things and the pattern to which is easiest. I like them both equally, but I love 2 at a time!

Arielluria
07-29-2009, 10:33 AM
But have you gotten to the gusset & heel part yet? That's what I don't like on toe-ups. Everything else is fine.

Sunshine's Mom
07-29-2009, 10:49 AM
I managed to learn and do LadyFirelyght's toe-up socks that she asked for volunteers on. They came out just fine. Since then, I've tried doing just a plain toe-up pair and I HATE THEM! As other's have said - the cuff bind-off is too tight no matter what I do and I don't the look or feel of the heels. I'm sticking to cuff down. No need to mess with success. If I find a pattern I like for toe-ups, I rewrite it as if it were a top down (that would be "backwards") and do my own tried and true heel. I'm glad for the learning experience and could do them if it was a matter of life or death, but I choose not to do it again.

Jenelle
07-29-2009, 12:51 PM
I prefer both. I love toe-up patterns for smaller needle sizes. I prefer to use the two circ method. If I plan on doing slipper socks, I like going cuff down. Both have their pro's and con's. For instance, I hate having to do the heel flap on cuff down, especially with smaller needles. I also found that using a bulkier yarn for toe-up is more difficult, since there is less stitches required. I guess it's all in preference, but either way you will still have a sock or two. ;)

LadyFirelyght
07-29-2009, 12:58 PM
I re-watched Knitty Gritty with Cookie A doing her Twinkle Toe socks which has a gusset increase yada yada yada for about the 5th time last night. That's when I finally said........fughettaboutit!!!!!!!! :hmm:

I see no one is voting that they prefer toe ups. So I don't feel so badly! :teehee:
I hate cuff down. Cannot stand it. And there are so few good toe-up patterns that I started writing them myself!

Arielluria
07-29-2009, 01:00 PM
I managed to learn and do LadyFirelyght's toe-up socks that she asked for volunteers on. They came out just fine. What's the link to that, I'd like to try it.

AH1OZ
07-29-2009, 01:35 PM
I would reply in the poll but my response would be "I can't choose, I dislike both equally"

I have knitted many things... including many socks... i just don't enjoy knitting socks...

Arielluria
07-29-2009, 01:43 PM
That's OK too. Knitting wouldn't be enjoyable if you HAD to knit stuff:hug:.

kellyh57
07-30-2009, 12:17 PM
I hate picking up stitches so anything that keeps me from having to pick up is excellent. (It's not so bad with bigger needles/yarn as I just use a smaller pair of needles though.) I love turning the heel! :) It's like magic and my favorite part of the sock. I'm weird like that.

nadja la claire
07-30-2009, 07:44 PM
Toe-up is the only way for me. I find it's easier than cuff-down, but everyone is different. BTW I like the short row. I also prefer magic loop which is a little easier than dpns when knitting flat.

vaknitter
07-30-2009, 09:13 PM
I have just recently been learning toe-up-two-at-a-time socks and I am enjoying it. The heel was a little tight and tricky, but now that both heels are turned and I am working up the cuff I am feeling like this is the way I will continue to make socks.

Knitting_Guy
07-31-2009, 11:54 PM
I guess I'm just weird, I prefer doing them toe-up.

VictoiseC
08-01-2009, 06:11 PM
Yuk. I tried ONCE and at the gusset it was just too much trouble, or maybe I mean the heel... yeah the heel. The one sock is stashed somewhere incase I ever feel brave again but I doubt it. I just love watching the whole oragami thing when you shape the heel on a cuff down sock, it's always like magic. I haven't been knitting a sock for a few weeks and now you've got me missing it!

cheley
08-02-2009, 08:34 AM
I finally (after manly failed attempts) to do socks... learned "cuff down"....either way the part the sucks is always the toe!!! I CAN NOT GET THE KICH THING..and the "toe up" cast on throws me for a loop too!!!! So now I have several socks...um not "pairs":aww: DO ALL 'TOE UP' PAT START WITH THE PROV CO OR TURKISH????

Mirl56
08-02-2009, 09:02 AM
DO ALL 'TOE UP' PAT START WITH THE PROV CO OR TURKISH????

gosh, no! I like Judy's magic cast on.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhBIS0AhhQY
or do a google search for other tutorials for it.

cheley
08-02-2009, 09:11 AM
gosh, no! I like Judy's magic cast on.
or do a google search for other tutorials for it. Thanks...looks like a great cast on...but I can't take "cat" this early in the a.m.;) 'specially the "goat utter" part:teehee:

Jan in CA
08-02-2009, 10:36 AM
I prefer the turkish cast on and I can't stand Cat Bordhi. Well she may be fine, but I hate the way she baby talks. Blech.
http://fluffyknitterdeb.blogspot.com/2005/10/knitting-made-easier-turkish-cast-on.html
http://auragone.wordpress.com/2007/06/20/easy-peasy-provisional-cast-on/

cheley
08-02-2009, 11:00 AM
Look what I found:woohoo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhXzMr8jHlo&feature=related All about toe ups!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lighting57
08-02-2009, 02:25 PM
I voted for cuff down.

I like the pro's for toe up socks, but in my opinion, it's cuff down (hands down). I get better results and I've never found a BO for the toe up socks that looks good and works well. Besides I'd much rather deal with the kitchener stitch for a few stitches to close up the toe than all the stitches involved in binding off a cuff that I probably won't be satisfied with and then end up frogging.

As for the left over small amounts: I use two different, but coordinating yarns to make socks with toes and/or cuffs that different from the foot part. No one is going to see my toes anyway other than family.

linknit41
08-04-2009, 07:11 PM
I'm TRYING to get through my first couple of toe up socks, and I absolutely HATE it! I'm thinking of frogging both pairs and starting over with another pattern. It's not the pattern, but the heel that I detest!

How do you feel about toe ups?:hmm:

I've just about finished a pair of toe up socks and tho i had a difficult time getting started, (and mismeasured, therefore making the foot too long) i really like the short row heel and not having to pick up gusset stitches. now i just have to figure out how to get a flexible-enough cast off and how to undo the toes to shorten the feet. i worked on both at the same time because i wasn't sure how far the yarn i had would go, and figured i could make the cuff/leg part shorter if the yarn ran out. linknit41

cheley
08-05-2009, 04:46 PM
O.k. now I am on a "toe up" mission..after watching the "videos" in my last post over and over (all about toe up cast ons) here's my question: If I were to do a "crochet prov cast on" I would obviously need a very small hook, then what do you do with the sts?/chain? Just transfer the live sts to a needle? Then onto dpns? Cause that co seems to be for another type of project (not socks)...Thanks

cristina61
08-06-2009, 12:44 PM
To answer your question about crochet hook size, I think I'd use a crochet hook that's at least the same size as my needles, maybe a little bigger.

I originally wrote a post describing my provisional CO, but when I went looking on Youtube for examples, I ran across this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSwG6SJ1z2I) video. She talks about three different provisional castons, but the third one seems like what you were talking about, creating a separate crochet chain. She demonstrates how to get the chained stitches onto the knitting needle and then going from there. That seems even easier to me than the one I learned!

I learned the crochet CO from the book Sensational Knitted Socks.

You start with a slip knot of waste yarn on the crochet hook, and then you use the hook to crochet loops right onto the needle. The slip knot becomes the final stitch; you transfer that to the needle, and then you just start knitting with your sock yarn.

Here's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqWfea8oOH8) a video of the provisional CO I'm talking about -- I hope all this helps you.

Edited like you wouldn't believe :teehee:

cheley
08-07-2009, 10:24 AM
To answer your question about crochet hook size, I think I'd use a crochet hook that's at least the same size as my needles, maybe a little bigger.

I originally wrote a post describing my provisional CO, but when I went looking on Youtube for examples, I ran across this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSwG6SJ1z2I) video. She talks about three different provisional castons, but the third one seems like what you were talking about, creating a separate crochet chain. She demonstrates how to get the chained stitches onto the knitting needle and then going from there. That seems even easier to me than the one I learned!

I learned the crochet CO from the book Sensational Knitted Socks.

You start with a slip knot of waste yarn on the crochet hook, and then you use the hook to crochet loops right onto the needle. The slip knot becomes the final stitch; you transfer that to the needle, and then you just start knitting with your sock yarn.

Here's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqWfea8oOH8) a video of the provisional CO I'm talking about -- I hope all this helps you.

Edited like you wouldn't believe :teehee: Wow Thank you!!! Yes the "third one" is what I mean...after placing the sts on your knitting needle, you can then work on that needle (knit) right??? Doing whatever number of rnds to start toe up..Right?:hug:

auntietracy
08-08-2009, 06:23 PM
Here is the Knitty tutorial for Judy's magic cast on:

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEspring06/FEATmagiccaston.html

I love it, it works great.

cristina61
08-09-2009, 01:27 PM
Wow Thank you!!! Yes the "third one" is what I mean...after placing the sts on your knitting needle, you can then work on that needle (knit) right??? Doing whatever number of rnds to start toe up..Right?:hug:

I have to admit I haven't done very many socks using the provisional CO, but the specific pattern I used had me CO the stitches in waste yarn and then purl 1 row with sock yarn. Then I worked back and forth in Stockinette stitch until my rectangle of knitting was a half inch high, ending on a purl row. At that point I unzipped the CO stitches and placed them on a needle, then started knitting in the round.

I guess you need to be guided by what your pattern tells you, and hopefully it makes sense :pray:

Nanaof6
08-09-2009, 06:51 PM
I prefer the turkish cast on and I can't stand Cat Bordhi. Well she may be fine, but I hate the way she baby talks. Blech.
http://fluffyknitterdeb.blogspot.com/2005/10/knitting-made-easier-turkish-cast-on.html
http://auragone.wordpress.com/2007/06/20/easy-peasy-provisional-cast-on/

I couldn't agree more JanCA, I watched one of her video's on short row w&t and it made me sick. I thought to myself 'Oh for God sake just talk normal, I'm not a child' she referred to a stitch as some ladies head and how you had to lift the wrap up and over the hair as not to mess it up ,Pleasssse

I have always done DPN'S cuff down and I always dreaded it when I got to the heel and I hated picking up the stitches, I mean Hated that part.

I am doing toe up right now and I LOVE how the toe looks. No pointy toes, it's rounded and looks more normal. The following link is by far the easiest cast-on for a toe up and you'll love the look when you're done.

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEspring06/FEATmagiccaston.html

I remember how much trouble it was learning cuff down and getting the heel done, it was hard ,but I finally got it. So I am sure it will be no different with the toe up heel. Plus, the rounded to is much more attractive .

Knitty.com shows the cast-on using 'The Magic Cast -on. It's really not as hard as it looks, it's just like anything else, it takes time to learn.

I really hate to say this but Cat Bordhi's link is good too. I found with her video's I have to mute them.

this is the way I do it.

I really don't think I will go back to my DPN'S and cuff down socks ever again. I mean , no gusset and no picking up stitches...... what's not to like !!

linknit41
08-13-2009, 06:58 PM
I've made a toe up pair and they turned out okay...I can do a short row heel, I did one one some little slippers and top down socks before. But what I really didn't like was the bind off, I made it too tight and had to redo, I did it the loosest way I knew how and it still was a bit tight.

I have seen toe up patterns with gusset heels and have been interested in trying one like that but it's the bind off at the end that stops me.

i had to frog the toe of the socks i made toe-up, but the bind off i used was the sewn bind off and it was loose enough to get over my foot, but not too loose it would sag. linknit41