PDA

View Full Version : French Cast On?

elanger
08-19-2009, 09:11 PM
I've just discovered this site and am looking forward to interaction with other knitters. I've knitted on and off for more than 40 years nowand have lately become addicted to knitting socks and Maggie Jackson designs. I love working with bamboo yarn and am constantly on the lookout for it-it's still a little scarce in the yarn shops here in Wisconsin.

I recently came across a pattern which calls for a french cast on. Can't find instructions for it in any of my many reference books-anyone help?

ArtLady1981
08-20-2009, 02:25 PM
I searched around on YOUTUBE for a "French Cast On"...
and all I found is this great video by Eunny Jang for Knitting Daily TV:
5jefvxJFOpU
She calls it an invisible tubular cast on.
Could this be what your pattern is calling for?

FrenchGirlKnits also uses this cast on for her designs.
It is a great cast on edge!
AND, here's another piece of information I found about the FRENCH CAST ON:
The Knitter's Review Forum had this Q&A back in 2004:
Q: I have a pattern for a vest made in strips and then attached by starting the next strip with a French Cast On. Does anyone know what that is? Many thanks. DonnaLee in Oregon
A: French cast-on is a knit cast-on. Make a slip knot and put it on the left needle. Knit the slip knot and transfer the stitch from the right needle to the left needle. Knit the stitch you just transferred and keep going. It makes an edge that is easy to pick-up stitches from. Horst Schulz uses it for his mitered knitting patterns. Mary Lou
Here is a YOUTUBE video, showing the "knitted cast on"
-nJKC2xT0Q4