PDA

View Full Version : getting a nice looking edge on garter stitch border

susiem
09-18-2009, 11:12 PM
I'm doing a blanket with a built-in garter stitch border -- knit first 6 and last 6 stitches of every row. What stitch should I do to start each row to get the best look? If I follow the pattern and just knit, I get the little bumps on the vertical selvedge. If I bring the yarn in front and purl slip the first stitch of every row I get a nice chain edge. But I worry that it will not be a "tight" edge and will loosen up with time. I won't be adding more border or sewing a seam, so I don't need the chain edge to pick up stitches, I just think it looks better.

Any other suggestions/tips? All the websites just talk about clean edges on stockinette stitch. Thanks!!

Jan in CA
09-19-2009, 12:38 AM
Welcome to KH, Susie!

I've done the slip stitch border on a scarf and never had a problem with it loosening up. I like the way it looks, too.

susiem
09-22-2009, 09:42 PM
And thanks for the welcome!!

When you slip stitch your scarf edge, did you slip as if to purl or knit? and where is your yarn -- front or back? Do you do this just at the beginning of each row?

suzeeq
09-22-2009, 10:20 PM
Most people say to slip purlwise with the yarn in back. You can try it other ways and see which you like best.

sgtpam
09-22-2009, 10:44 PM
I've recently discovered that I really like the finished edge when I slip the last stitch, purlwise, with the yarn in front. I tried doing it on the first stitch, but I kept forgetting to slip it.:teehee:

Jan in CA
09-22-2009, 10:46 PM
You get a nice chain edge if you slip purlwise with the yarn in front and then knit the last stitch.

You could try it both ways on a little swatch though to see which way you like best.

susiem
09-22-2009, 11:25 PM
thanks all for narrowing down the possibilities of purl/knit/front/back/first/last/etc/etc .... now I'll just make those sample pieces with each suggestion and see what I get!!

suzeeq
09-23-2009, 12:24 AM
You don't have to do a separate sample, just make one with a few inches done each way.

LizzieK8
09-23-2009, 06:46 AM
I knit the last stitch in each row, slip the first one as if to purl, put the yarn between the needles to the back and continue knitting. Works like a charm.

WandaT
09-23-2009, 09:29 AM
Yup, I usually slip my first stitch as well - I love the edge it gives my projects. What I learned on a scarf pattern I made a while back was that if the first stitch presented itself as a knit stitch, slip it with yarn in back as a knit stitch. If the first stitch presents itself as a purl stitch, slip it with yarn in front as a purl stitch. I haven't really played around with other variations, but I'm really happy with my edges when I follow that guideline.