PDA

View Full Version : Knitting in Public

etoilechaude
09-23-2009, 06:52 PM
Where are some of your favorite places to sit and knit (other than the yarn shop)?

Right now I drive to work 2 hours early to avoid the rushhour traffic I would otherwise be forced to endure. I work about 25 mins from home, but in rush hour that can take 1.5 to 1.75 hours!! So I choose to drive to the area I work early and I usually pick a wifi spot and surf the internet until it's time to start.

I would MUCH rather be spending this time productively knitting(... I'm at Starbucks right now typing this lol). I've never really thought about where I would feel comfortable whipping out my needles and yarn before and unfortunately all of the yarn shops are on the other side of the river where I live :o/

Hopefully someone will have a fun suggestion ... otherwise I might just chill in my car with the radio lol! :o)

globaltraveler
09-23-2009, 08:00 PM
Cafe over coffee. Pub over beer or a Bailey's on the rocks.

farmgirl
09-23-2009, 08:02 PM
I would knit right there in Starbucks. I knit everywhere--doctor's offices, dentists, lawyers. It's who I am and what I do and I just don't care what anyone thinks of it. Most people however are enthralled with it and think you are some sort of wizard:teehee: Most of my work friends accept my little yarn obsession with a smile, because I accept their strange obsessions, too. (Even though yarn is not a strange obsession.)

jruby18
09-23-2009, 08:06 PM
I take my knitting anywhere where I even *think* I might have a wait on my hands. Doctor's offices, appointments, travelling, etc.... I was in an investment club for a while and I'd take my knitting to the meetings, too! And I agree w/the other poster - I get almost complete positive feedback and admiration when I'm knitting. Ppl are interested in what you're making, etc..

Sknitter56
09-23-2009, 09:01 PM
I knit anywhere I have to wait...doctor's, dentist...doesn't matter. I'd much rather be knitting with MY yarn and MY needles than thumbing through some dog-eared magazine that's been handled by hundreds of people whose hands I don't know where they have been :aww: . Plus, I'm being productive!

etoilechaude
09-24-2009, 12:08 AM
Thanks everyone!!!

@farmgirl - LOL!!! My partner totally thinks I'm some sort of wizard... able to make cool things with pointy sticks and animal hair lol.

I think I'll try the starbucks in the borders near my work next time. They have lots of comfy couches... looks like the perfect spot to set up my knitting and laptop :o)

lulubell
09-24-2009, 12:23 AM
Just do it! People will either be interested, amused, bemused, think you are crazy, but more than likely will not even notice. Who cares what people think anyway.

When one stops worrying what people will think, life is so much easier. (But it has taken me over 40 years to realise that)

pinksugar
09-24-2009, 04:59 AM
yup, I rock out with my needles where ever I think I'll have to wait for a while. It's weird, I'm living in Italy at the moment so I've had to learn new words to tell people what I'm doing, they've given me some of the weirdest looks, even moreso than in Sydney Australia!

Most of my current scarf has been made on trains, but in Australia I'll do it on my lunch break, in the local starbucks, cafes, wherever.

If they don't like it then they can deal with it, people are constantly doing things *I* don't like in public, so I have no compunction about knitting if I feel like it.

I've done it in a bar even, but I got shut down by a friend's bf who thought it was rude, he claimed I can't listen when I'm knitting. Uhh... WTF? I can listen better than he can when he's watching sports at a bar, I think it's less rude than that!

Don't you wish people would mind their own business? if it's not harming them, then why should they care? :knitting:

I should say that i've also had some people come and tell me how much they like what I'm making, or who are frankly just curious and interested in a flattering way, so don't be shy about knitting in public :)

globaltraveler
09-24-2009, 05:56 AM
The only problem with knitting in pubs and bars I ever have is that often the light is too low, and I'm not one of those knitters who can knit while not looking -- I always have to look. :) Also, I've found that I make more mistakes while talking and laughing with friends, so I try not to take lace or something that is a big ol' pain to frog back on.

I usually don't knit on social nights out, though -- only when I'm on a deadline (which I've been the last week or so, so I've been knitting a lot even when out with friends).

I always take the knitting out *while* I'm chatting and making jokes and such, to make it clear that I can do both at the same time -- also, if the conversation becomes important to the person I am speaking with, I often stop knitting and just hold it in my lap so I can make eye contact with them while talking about something that means a lot to them or such. What's more important, people or knitting? ;)

globaltraveler
09-24-2009, 05:56 AM
The only problem with knitting in pubs and bars I ever have is that often the light is too low, and I'm not one of those knitters who can knit while not looking -- I always have to look. :) Also, I've found that I make more mistakes while talking and laughing with friends, so I try not to take lace or something that is a big ol' pain to frog back on.

I usually don't knit on social nights out, though -- only when I'm on a deadline (which I've been the last week or so, so I've been knitting a lot even when out with friends).

I always take the knitting out *while* I'm chatting and making jokes and such, to make it clear that I can do both at the same time -- also, if the conversation becomes important to the person I am speaking with, I often stop knitting and just hold it in my lap so I can make eye contact with them while talking about something that means a lot to them or such. What's more important, people or knitting? ;)

WandaT
09-24-2009, 08:40 AM
Yup I, too, will take out my knitting just about anywhere. If I know I'm only going to have to wait 5-10 min I will usually take a book instead though. But honestly, I'll take it out anywhere and knit. It's amazing the conversations that can start up when you are KIP. :)

globaltraveler
09-24-2009, 11:01 AM
KIP, Irish style (http://anotherlongyarn.zinalee.net/?p=660):

http://anotherlongyarn.zinalee.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/KIPDunChaoin.jpg

Jan in CA
09-24-2009, 01:53 PM
That's a lovely place to knit, Zina!

I've knit in coffee shops like Starbucks, doctors offices and on a bench in front of a store waiting for my daughter to show up as well as my LYS on Friday nights and always in front of the TV. I've never knit in a restaurant because that's a time I focus on whoever is there with me. I try to balance my knitting with personal attention like that.

I've never come across anyone who things it's rude or anything. Most people are very intrigued and interested in what you're doing.

KathleenG
09-24-2009, 01:58 PM
I was in the doctor's office with my Dad in Puerto Rico, and knitting a sock, and this man (in his fifties) came up to me, and he was so amazed: He said he hadn't seen anyone knit a sock since he was a child at his grandmother's knee! He was thrilled to see it!

MoniDew
09-24-2009, 02:27 PM
believe it or not, people WILL eventually get used to seeing you with your knitting. And the moment you show up somewhere without it, they will invariably ask, "where's your knitting?!" LOL! =))

MMario
09-24-2009, 02:34 PM
True!

Lisa R.
09-24-2009, 02:45 PM
believe it or not, people WILL eventually get used to seeing you with your knitting. And the moment you show up somewhere without it, they will invariably ask, "where's your knitting?!" LOL! =))

Yep! I spent a tremendous amount of time waiting for my dd in band rehearsals last year. I heard through the grapevine that a rather famous conductor that she studied under, who teaches a guy who knows my son...anyway, my name came up in a lesson and the guy said, "That woman is always knitting!" :rofl:

The kids at my kids' college (where I waited for rehearsals) were always interested. In fact, at one concert, I saw a girl across the concert hall knitting. My dd said, "She said you gave her courage to knit in the concert hall." Soon there were a couple of them doing it. So, it can spread, too.

I do try to be considerate in social situations. No clicking needles during a concert, or elbowing the people next to me, and though I knit at a restaurant when my dh and I go out, I wouldn't with other people, most likely.

As someone upthread said, people are more important and if someone feels they don't have my full attention, I'd rather just not knit.

But any waiting time always has me knitting.

OffJumpsJack
09-24-2009, 04:43 PM
While waiting in the dentist office for my children's to be done with their cleanings, the receptionist nearly vaulted over the counter to see what I was knitting.

She was an older lady and from her pleasantly surprised expression, I gathered she had not seen a man knit at least not in a long time. I would guess she could be old enough to remember WW II as a child. So male knitters might have been known to her among her older siblings, uncles, or grand parents.

At least it looked to me like she was reacting like she was seeing me practice a "long lost craft."

Other places:
I knit at soccer practice, but not at games.
I've knit while my wife drives.
I've knit in church with the minister's permission. :thumbsup:
I've knit during break times at work.
I've knit in the back yard, on our deck.
I've knit in our front yard, while watching my children ride bikes back and forth on the street.
I've tried to knit at in the waiting room at my eye doctor, but they called me back too soon. :sad:

:roll: I can't think of any other places at this time.

globaltraveler
09-24-2009, 04:48 PM
Now, Jack, would that be your minister's permission, or his blessing? ;)

Irishmam
09-24-2009, 04:55 PM
I knit in the car while I wait for my daughter to come out of school and often bring it with me when my kids go to the playground for when they get a good game going that sooo does not include me.

I have also had a few facinated comments by my husband's friends if they come to the house - most of them have not seen anyone knit for years.

Feel the fear and knit it anyway!

Irishmam

etoilechaude
09-24-2009, 05:13 PM
Just today I discovered a group that knits at different brewerys around town. Portland = land of micro brews :o) I'm pretty excited to get out there and have beer and knit... although I have had interesting results in the past with that combination ;o)

globaltraveler
09-24-2009, 05:17 PM
The trick is to know when to stop.

I'm not sure if I mean the beer or the knitting. Maybe both. ;)

etoilechaude
09-24-2009, 05:51 PM
The trick is to know when to stop.

I'm not sure if I mean the beer or the knitting. Maybe both. ;)
LOL too true ;o)

snelly
06-29-2010, 07:50 PM
I like to take my projects with me on the bus that I ride to work. In fact I sometimes take the bus just so I can get a few extra minutes of knitting in for the day, even if I have a car available to me. It can be a good conversation starter. If I don't feel like talking I put on some head phones and people avoid making chit chat. I feel most comfortable kip when there is an open chair and some type of waiting involved.
:knitting:

jjlrdomom
06-29-2010, 09:58 PM
I often bring my knitting if I know I'm going to be knitting. Recently I had several dentist appointments for myself and my kids, and I brought along some socks that I was making for my Mom. All the office workers were amazed and asked me to bring in the finished socks. I did and they took pictures of them....those pictures are now nestled in with my dental records!!!! (not exactly sure why, but okay, whatever floats your boat!) I bring my knitting along to our homeschool park days, where Moms visit while kids play.....people know I'm listening even if I'm not always looking at them. In situations like that, though, I also don't bring complicated patterns that need more of my focus.
:star:

jjlrdomom
06-29-2010, 10:01 PM
Just today I discovered a group that knits at different brewerys around town. Portland = land of micro brews :o) I'm pretty excited to get out there and have beer and knit... although I have had interesting results in the past with that combination ;o)

Thinking you should knit up some cool beer-cozies while you're there! Heh!

knitcindy
06-30-2010, 09:07 AM
I bring along my knitting whenever I know I'm gonna be waiting:

Dr's waiting room
Pediatrician's waiting room
Dentist waiting room
Anywhere else I've got an appointment
Sunday night service at church
Play rehearsals
Backstage during the play
Riding in the car
Local library - TONS of other knitters come out of the woodwork when they see me knitting here!!

knitcindy

knitbrit10
06-30-2010, 10:09 PM
KIP has been my forte for a few months now.I always carry some sort of project where ever I go.I'm almost guaranteed to be waiting somewhere. The most interesting place I've knitted in public is in the queue for voting. The eyes got big,when I whipped it out. I usually get comments from older ladies who used to knit.How cute are they?:) Ususally before work,after work,waiting to pick the kids up from school. Anywhere and everywhere. I love it. Unfortunately it hasn't improved my handwriting at all lol. Anyone else here a lefty? I find the patterns on the vids hard to follow sometimes,I have to think in reverse. :)

I think that's totally exciting that a dude knits!:thumbsup:

vaudiss
06-30-2010, 11:52 PM
I dont just end up knitting in public....today i ended up making stitch markers for knitting and tatting in public:teehee:
Mom bought me beads and findings to make her tatting markers and them we went to a Panera and got to work....we live 3 hrs apart and met in the middle for shopping and crafts :woohoo:

etoilechaude
07-01-2010, 12:16 AM
I dont just end up knitting in public....today i ended up making stitch markers for knitting and tatting in public:teehee:
Mom bought me beads and findings to make her tatting markers and them we went to a Panera and got to work....we live 3 hrs apart and met in the middle for shopping and crafts :woohoo:

That's so fun and cute!!!!!!!!!

I just made a few stitch markers for myself the other day (thanks to a post on here ;o) and I LOVE them.

I'm currently obsessed with making myself a bag with my new sewing machine, but I knit whenever I leave the house... I've met a lot of random people while knitting around town :)

knitcindy
07-01-2010, 07:27 PM
How do you make your stitch markers?? Can you post some pictures of them???

Thanks,
knitcindy

vaudiss
07-01-2010, 08:44 PM
I actually started by following the direction listed on a thread here :)

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1325/4733398557_bcbb163177.jpg This little guy I got the bead off etsy and used silver findings and there he is...oh and a moonstone chip under him...:aww:

jpenguin
07-01-2010, 11:42 PM
I am in the same pot as most everyone on here...

waiting at the doctor's/dentist office
baseball/softball practices & during games on weekend long tourneys
meeting with girlfriend at a B&N or Starbucks
during Wednesday & Sunday evening services w/ preachers blessing
on my school bus while waiting for the kids to be dismissed from school & also when I am on athletic field trips you will find me in the stands with needles in hand rooting on the kids. The kids call the the Knitting Bus Driver :teehee: ...and of course have put in their orders for things.

I always make sure I have a project with me no matter where I am going just in case I find myself waiting with time on my hands.

shifio
07-02-2010, 04:27 AM
if im going to have a wait i take my book, but have seriously contemplated taking my knitting down to the shopping center and sitting there all day see what reaction i get , on saturday i think, will i ever have the nerve to do it, dont know

trvvn5
07-02-2010, 10:26 AM
I almost feel guilty knitting in public places like coffee shops and stores. I feel like I"m taking up space for customers that could be there to buy stuff.

Krystal
07-02-2010, 01:12 PM
When I had an hour bus ride to and from work I would bring small projects to knit on the bus.

As long as you are still drinking a coffee or ordering another one I would see no problem getting comfy in a good chair at Starbucks and knitting. Once the coffee is gone I'd either get another or leave.

Dimpledapple
07-02-2010, 04:06 PM
I love to knit in airports! It's usually a long wait so I just turn on my iPod and knit away. I used to fly a lot out of San Jose and it got to the point where the custodial staff recognized me and always asked me about my projects :teehee:

OffJumpsJack
07-02-2010, 04:09 PM
I think that's totally exciting that a dude knits!:thumbsup:
:thud:
:roflhard: A dude? There are more of us men who knit then meets the eye.

In my experience, seeing anyone KIP is rare. My mother, her sisters, and my grandmother all crocheted but they only did it when they were in their homes. I think my mom's SIL (to uniquely identify her) was the only one who knit and didn't crochet. As far as I know I am the only son (out of three) and grandson (out of eleven) that knows how to crochet or knit. I'll have to ask around and see if any of them know either of these skills.

In my family, I consider crochet and knitting to be heirloom skills. I've offered to teach my children to crochet or knit. I've taught one of my daughters to crochet, but she hasn't finished a project yet. My wife only knows how to chain stitch. She has trouble learning how to work back into the chain for the first row.

I KIP or at home when ever I can. So I always try to take a project with me anytime I leave the house. If I get comments they are mostly questions from women.

N0obKnitter
07-02-2010, 06:58 PM
I actually started by following the direction listed on a thread here :)

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1325/4733398557_bcbb163177.jpg This little guy I got the bead off etsy and used silver findings and there he is...oh and a moonstone chip under him...:aww:

Adorable!!!

mspwrz
07-03-2010, 11:51 AM
I absolutely love the idea. I want to make some for myself. I am a Wood Badger (it's a scouting thing) and want to find some beads in my critter to make some of these. They are awesome! Any suggestions on what size findings to use and what other equipment is needed?

RoseFairy
07-03-2010, 03:48 PM
I absolutely love the idea. I want to make some for myself. I am a Wood Badger (it's a scouting thing) and want to find some beads in my critter to make some of these. They are awesome! Any suggestions on what size findings to use and what other equipment is needed?

Here is the Custom Stitch Markers (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62912) Topic. And then here is the actual post in the topic specifically on making the stitch markers (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showpost.php?p=919102&postcount=38). If you read through that one it gives you a lot of useful information.

GeeBee29
07-03-2010, 08:30 PM
I like to knit at the beach, but it was very windy today and I was working with a fine yarn, so it was a bit challenging.

mspwrz
07-04-2010, 09:40 AM
I knit just about everywhere I go that I have a moment of down time. Yesterday, I took the Oddball Pet Snuggle I am working on to Freedom Fest out at Sheppard AFB. I knit during the concerts until it got too dark to continue..but then there were fireworks!!!!

hyperactive
07-04-2010, 04:47 PM
I knit in a lot of places. In trains a lot. In stations, obviously.

I do not knit in job situations... don't want contract partners etc. to watch me there. Plain business decission. But everywhere else: fine.

Woodi
07-04-2010, 08:15 PM
I once had a really interesting conversation with a woman who watched me knitting in a Canadian Tire store (like a home hardware, but with lots of stuff for cars, including tires and a car service depot).
She took a knitted bear out of her purse, said she had just finished it....tallked about her grandkids and what she loves to knit for them.....etc.

I was waiting for our car to be serviced and they have a nice, clean,comfy little waiting area.

Whenever I take out my knitting, someone invariably wants to talk to me about it! or at least just watch, or sneak peeks. I think it makes their fingers itchy to do something productive too!

AH1OZ
07-04-2010, 10:08 PM
i knit wherever i can sit down and knit!

i can't knit standing... so it has to be somewhere i can sit! haha

Dari
07-05-2010, 01:05 AM
I take my knitting along with me wherever I go, just in case I come to a place where I'll be sitting a while. I rocked out with my sock out at a recent dentist's appointment, and the hygienist who did my teeth commented... Turns out she's a knitter too, and just finished a lovely lace shawl. We had a very nice conversation (which was rather one-sided due to the fact that she was cleaning my teeth, but...) about knitting and what our favorite FOs were so far and such.

I've also knitted

At rehearsal
Backstage during performances
In the control booth during intermission
On top of the control booth during a show (lighted knitting needles FTW!)
In doctors' and dentists' offices
At restaurants with fellow knitters
On the dell (my college's version of the quad) on a warm sunny day
In the car

I'm addicted!

hyperactive
07-05-2010, 02:48 AM
I've had a lot of conversation about knitting and the like, too, when I whip out my needles. It really gets people interested.

When I was knitting on a train lately, a woman swore a holy oath to start knitting again after 30 years of absence, looked trough my magazines and noted their names for purchase.

I have also "taught lessons" on the train - got people to learn cables, cast on and so on.... it is fun - and random.

my grandmother just died last week, (both actually) and she was the one I learned knitting from. So I will carry on the tradition, keep adding skills and feel like it is a mission to pass this on to anyone who is interested.

if people don't knit they usually either think about us as wizards (so true :D :D ) or they talk of something else they do: crochet, macramé, bead-objects and so on... you always have a good conversation.

When I am working with a pattern, I often make a photocopy (if it isn't a print anyways) to not wreck the magazine, be able to make notes on it, carry less stuff around.... I have started to also copy the picture of the finished object - because everyone wants to know what it will be and sometimes it is too elaborate to explain. Does the trick.

UruzPhoenix
07-11-2010, 11:01 PM
i knit in the bookstore, at my kids sports practices while waiting, at their games (only on circulars though, much easier to find in the grass for the one playing football and don't roll across the hardwood flooring for my other's basketball games!), while waiting in line at the grocery store (it's AMAZING how much faster people seem to move when you have 5 sharp pointy metal things going and the person in front of you has a child in the cart having a meltdown and frazzled adult doesn't have the standard juicebox/ baggie of crackers/ book to distract child having meltdown with).

Generally though, i prefer to knit while we're at the playground or park... much more relaxing and I can really get into the meditative part of knitting when the surroundings are so relaxing. (my kids don't require much supervision, they're 10 and 12 and play together)

UruzPhoenix
07-11-2010, 11:05 PM
Thanks everyone!!!

@farmgirl - LOL!!! My partner totally thinks I'm some sort of wizard... able to make cool things with pointy sticks and animal hair lol.

I think I'll try the starbucks in the borders near my work next time. They have lots of comfy couches... looks like the perfect spot to set up my knitting and laptop :o)

i used to belong to a knitting group (whiners r' us) that met at the nearest barnes and noble... so long as everyone had something from the starbucks cafe (since that's where we all sat) none of the other customers or employees could say anything because we were just knitting while consuming our items (there were less than half a dozen people that showed up).

The knitting group i belong to now is at the local library, much more relaxed and 2 of the members are librarians who are still on the clock, but the knitting group is one of their ways to draw people in. I get to take my kids (who pick out their books for the week and sit quietly reading, leaving us alone to knit... the librarian gave them each the metal harry potter bookmarks because she likes how well behaved and respectful they are LOL) unless dh is home for whatever reason or MIL has taken them to go play with their cousins (whom she babysits, they're too much for her since they're 5 and 6 year old highly active boys, having my 2 older kids there makes it easier for her she says because the older 2 can keep up with the younger two) then I go by myself.

UruzPhoenix
07-11-2010, 11:07 PM
The only problem with knitting in pubs and bars I ever have is that often the light is too low, and I'm not one of those knitters who can knit while not looking -- I always have to look. :)

have you seen the knitting needles that light up? I saw them at Joann's and AC Moore :)

UruzPhoenix
07-11-2010, 11:10 PM

TOO TRUE! There's a nurse at my primary care doc's office that gets upset if i don't have mine with me (course she's still going on after over a year about how i *have* to make her a pair of blue socks... can you say "no." LOL!) and my kids and dh remind me to grab my knitting bag (even if i'm just taking my kids to school, which is a 5 minute drive and i'm the one driving!)

zebstriped
07-20-2010, 12:48 PM
Art Lady has inspired many of us -- check out her thread here!
http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62912

Woodi
07-21-2010, 07:03 PM
What is a beer cozy and how would you knit one?...a tiny mat? square or round?

GrandmaLori
07-21-2010, 11:30 PM
To quote my 5 year old grandson - "Grandma knits ALL the time".

mspwrz
07-22-2010, 12:17 PM
A beer cozy is a wrap that goes around the bottle or can. Since I seldom drink anything of this nature, I make coffee cozies from time to time to go around my coffee cups from Starbucks or other places.

OffJumpsJack
07-22-2010, 08:54 PM
What is a beer cozy and how would you knit one?...a tiny mat? square or round?

Think wrist warmer or leg warmer but sized down for a bottle or a can, then decrease for flat bottom (or make it a bottoms up cozy).

Will work for soft drinks as well as beer. Wool is great as it insulates even when wet.

So it is a tube with a flat bottom.

Woodi
07-23-2010, 08:32 AM
a tube with a flat bottom, hmmmm.....how do you knit a circle? OK, I googled 'knit a circle' and found something...off to try it.

cacunn
07-23-2010, 10:22 AM
The "Men who knit" web site has a formula for knitting a flat circle.

Formula (http://www.menwhoknit.com/community/?q=node/4217)