PDA

View Full Version : Plus sized Knitting

MommaG
09-30-2009, 11:17 PM
I have a question for any plus sized knitters out there. I am making a top down sweater and of course all the patterns say you can try it on to see how long you need to make it. Well I a have a little bigger belly than my needle will go so how do you try it on to make sure it is the right length for you. Do you place half the stitches on one needle and the other half on another or what are your tricks. I am making my first ever top down and I don't want to bind off and then find out it is too short or to long. Any help would be great.

sandy57th
09-30-2009, 11:59 PM
I'm not a plus-size knitter, but I think you've come up with a great idea in your question-- split the stitches on 2 long circular needles, put a marker and/or safety pin to mark the beginning of the rounds, stoppers at all ends so no stitches fall off and then try it on.

globaltraveler
10-01-2009, 12:06 AM
The best, but also somewhat time consuming, practice, is to put the stitches on some waste yarn. That allows the sweater to hang more naturally than when it's on a cable, when you're fitting. Just remember to make the waste yarn much longer than you think you'll need, as it will have to be able to stretch out when it goes over your head, etc.

But two needles will work if you can imagine how it's going to hang with it sticking out all funny from the cables. :)

GinnyG
10-01-2009, 07:46 AM
I have used waste yarn to do this in the past, is a little more work but makes the sweater alot easier to try on.

Mirl56
10-01-2009, 09:09 AM
I have a set of Denise needles w/extra cables and joining pieces. I'll make the cable as long as it needs to be and then try it on. Of course, it is true it won't hang/drape quite as it should.

Waste yarn would be the best.

suzeeq
10-01-2009, 10:02 AM
Even not so plus size use a needle smaller than the sweater, so yeah, you have to put half the sts on another circ, which makes it easy to knit them off of, or on some scrap yarn to try on.

farmgirl
10-01-2009, 12:23 PM
I use waste yarn with lots of extra length (don't want to lose stitches). It sounds like a bigger pain than it is, and you don't want to spend all that time knitting a sweater that you won't like!

Jan in CA
10-01-2009, 01:00 PM
I'm not plus size, but I still use either a couple more lengths of needles or waste yarn. Waste yarn is the best choice because the fabric hangs more normally, but needles are okay in a pinch. :thumbsup: