PDA

View Full Version : What Are You Afraid of??

jamiejeans
10-02-2009, 05:49 PM
Is there any knitting technique that you would love to try but are afraid of? How come?

I would love to do two needle socks but just can't seem to wrap my head around how to knit in the round with just two circs....so totally afraid I'd mess it up. Also afraid of needing to buy a lot more needles if it worked!

I am also afraid of color knitting- again cuz of messing up and getting into some tangled mess. But there have been some nice sweater designs using color changes, etc, that have been tempting me!

Irishmam
10-02-2009, 06:14 PM
I am afraid of magic loop knitting (athough Zina says she could cure me). I am afraid of buying expensive yarn then going off the pattern I bought it for. I'm afraid of my kids getting their hands on my knitting and pulling out the needle - again.

I am really afraid that my SIL wil not like the baby blanket I am making her

Oh and I'm not keen on the dark, ghosts or beards.

Irishmam

Jan in CA
10-02-2009, 06:52 PM
I don't think I'm really afraid to do anything, but I am leery of making garments that have to be seamed. I'd hate to go to all that work and then have my seams, especially the sleeves, suck!

As for color knitting...do something small like baby hat the first time. That's how I learned.

Socks on two circs...that's how I do socks. It's actually pretty easy, easier than DPNs because you don't have to worry about ladders at the joins. :thumbsup:

saracidaltendencies
10-02-2009, 07:33 PM
Honestly, I'm not really afraid of anything anymore...I used to be terrified of using DPNs and that was part of the reason I swore I'd never make socks, but, once I finally broke down and tried it, it was so easy, and, I quite enjoy working with them. Even more so than working with only 2 needles! However, there are things I just don't feel like learning...lol...Like any other cast on than the long tail cast on I've always done, or, knitting socks with 2 circs or magic loop...I know how to do them on DPNs so I don't really feel like learning how to make socks another way...lol...I may want to, at some point in time, but not now...When I first started knitting I was afraid of a lot of things like doing charts, color changes, circulars, pretty much anything that involved anything with more than 1 yarn color and 2 straight needles...Well, that left me awfully limited (and bored...lol) so I finally just got over my fears and decided to try new things...I figured hey, if I taught myself to knit by watching videos on here and reading a book, I can learn whatever I want! The most important thing is to remember you're not going to get in trouble if you mess something up, just keep trying til ya get it right.

globaltraveler
10-02-2009, 07:38 PM
I'm only afraid of spiders and heights. :)

P.S. I totally could teach you Magic Loop so fast your head would spin. Really. :) Surely there's someone knitterly near you who can show you?

ArtLady1981
10-02-2009, 08:11 PM
Entrelac and Fair Isle knitting. Yeah, and socks, too. :pout:

Lisa R.
10-02-2009, 08:52 PM
It's only yarn. It's not scary! If you mess it up...just frog it and start again!

However, I did just buy yarn for my first sweater...and I'm a little nervous about starting. ;)

UruzPhoenix
10-02-2009, 08:55 PM
double knitting (which i'll tackle after the first of the year.... i'm way too busy right now with holiday gifts...)

And of the afghan that I'm knitting (tree of life) going the same way as a crocheted one i made.... namely the dogs got ahold of it a few years after i'd made it and put a huge hole in it (the recipient of said afghan was highly upset and i couldn't fix it because they'd cut the yarn and I didn't have any leftovers from that one)... if this one gets ruined, i don't knit for them again. period.

and i'm afraid of my kids by birth turning out the same way as their oldest stepbrother and oldest half brother.... lazy and uninterested in doing anything with their lives (stepbrother never graduated high school, half brother flunked out of college and thinks that he'll be able to move forward in life working part time jobs off and on... we're moving and he's not moving with us so he'll be sinking or swimming on his own after the end of this month).

but what will be, will be.....

etoilechaude
10-02-2009, 09:23 PM
I really want to either start a large project (like a tweed peacoat) or learn to do lace... but the thought of both scares me quite a bit!

JanetLWL
10-03-2009, 12:07 AM
I'm a newbie and pretty much afraid of everything! I'm afraid I won't be able to read any "professional" patterns after the simple starter patterns, I'm afraid of doing seams, you name it, I'm SCARED. But I'm determined to be the knitter I've always wanted to be :woot:

etoilechaude
10-03-2009, 01:54 AM
I'm a newbie and pretty much afraid of everything! I'm afraid I won't be able to read any "professional" patterns after the simple starter patterns, I'm afraid of doing seams, you name it, I'm SCARED. But I'm determined to be the knitter I've always wanted to be :woot:
You go!!!

I only started a few weeks ago, and lemme tell ya... it gets SO much easier!!!

mommydearest
10-03-2009, 08:22 AM
Circ's vs dpn's - I've done socks both ways although I think I stay more interested with dpn's.

What am I afraid of?... Lace, Bobbles (just can't seem to do them right), large things (I start but it takes me a long time to finish)

I just finished an American Flag Table Runner (ok, I still need to do the stars but I'm not sure how I'm making them yet) and that was fun to change colors. It's in May's issue of Creative Knitting magazine. Try a dishcloth with different colors - no matter how it looks the dishes won't mind.

Just try it - frog it - and try it again. No one is going to yell at you.

Good luck

Mary

Mirl56
10-03-2009, 10:04 AM
I'd have to say fair isle. I started a pair of socks that was a fairly simple (dots) pattern but it beat me bad! Decided I needed something that didn't need to stretch to 'fit' so recently finished a skull dishcloth - turned out way cute. Next will be a hat - ok, that will need to stretch to fit, but it'll only have 10-15 rows of fair isle.

Oh, which reminds me steeking scares the hee-bee Jesus out of me! Don't know if I will ever attempt anything that needs to be steeked.

Socks on 2 circs is easy-peasy! Just do 1 or 2 on (5) dble pts first so you understand the construction & mechanics of socks. then switch to 1 sock on 2 cirs - it's pretty easy to visualize that you've got the stitches of 2 dble pts on one needle, the other 2 dbl pts on the 2nd circ. Then it's just a short step to being able to do 2 socks on 2 circs.

PS - Oh, ArtLady - you put your log cabin pic back in!! :muah:

gingerbread
10-03-2009, 10:28 AM
For me it is making a sweater that scares me more than anything.
I can do lace and making socks which I love making.
I am going to try again making a sweater, I think doing one will get my feet wet and then I will feel like I really can knit anything. In fact my son last night ask me about making him a sweater and I had to say no. He just looked at me and said you do such good work.
So maybe I will give it a try, can't learn if we don't try again and again.

Woodi
10-03-2009, 10:35 AM
I am smiling at all this discussion about FEAR! (there is nothing to fear but fear itself, remember?)

I actually knit in order to cure myself of various fears....fears of being judged, of choosing the wrong yarn, wrong colors' fear of worsening arthritis in my hands...... Fear that whomever I make this project for - won't like it!!!??

Now I just watch the fear, smile, and keep going.....just as I do in meditation. Whatever comes up, is fodder for awareness. Fear is only fear. It can't kill me.

Ah, awareness!.....it leads to joy. (eventually, ......or ....sometimes)

Ronda
10-03-2009, 10:48 AM
I'm in such a knitting slump. I WANT to knit. I think about knitting all the time. Unfortunately, if my stuff is not PERFECT, I give up. Of course, NOTHING anyone creates is perfect, so guess where that leaves me? I have probably 6 projects started and all of them are just lying somewhere being neglected because it's not perfect.

So I guess I'm afraid of not being perfect, which really sucks.

EmeraldSpider
10-03-2009, 02:03 PM
I am a newb and afraid of just about everything that is not a scarf or a blanket. But I love trying all kinds of sts. I just started my first sock on dps and I am so excited but I am kind of dreding getting to the heel I am sure I will mess it up a few times before I get it right.cloud9

bambi
10-03-2009, 02:45 PM
I have not been able to pick up magic loop or two circ for socks by watching videos--I'll have have someone show me. :mrgreen:

I have done fair isle but never intarsia--too many ends to sew in.

I hate seaming so I pass up a lot of patterns because of it. Vogue Knitting has an article on converting patterns to the round. Part 1 is in the issue on the newsstands and Part 2 of the article will be published with the next issue.

I fear patterns with Tons of Bobbles, not because I don't like to do them but because I don't care to wear them. A few is OK.

gabbi2306
10-03-2009, 03:05 PM
I just bought DPN and I'm afraid to use them purely because i don't knit using any proper method that can be transferred easily to DPN.

I'm also afraid of doing my first jumper this year for my boyfriends christmas present, but that's only because I've never done any garments before.

Ninjafinity
10-04-2009, 07:22 PM
I started knitting when I was really little, but I never did anything beyond basic rectangles of knits and purls. So I'm afraid of a lot. I want to try something with more shape, like a hat or glove, but I'm a bit afraid too. I'm determined to expand as a knitter! I'm a DIY guy, so I have a lot of motivation to be able to make some of my own clothes.

blueygh2
10-04-2009, 08:41 PM
I'm afraid of sewing things together. My sewing skills suck. So...

Otherwise, not too unwilling to try whatever. Maybe intarsia because of the yarn tangle that could result.
And big projects. Since I tend to get bored easily.

newamy
10-04-2009, 09:41 PM
It's only knitting. What is to be afraid of? No one will die if you make a mistake, you won't get fired, and the very worst thing that could happen is that you rip the whole thing out and start over. Frustrating, yes, but you are supposed to like knitting so turn your mind around and think , "Yeah, I get to knit some more!" There a few things I haven't tried because I I'm not interested or because directions make no sense. But if I want to make something and want to learn a technique I just practice a swatch, if it seems needed, and just follow the directions and go!

I do recommend practicing steeks, possibly a few times before you do one the first time on a garment. Also practice various ways of securing the steek and practice picking up the stitches for the edge so you will know how to make it tidy.

UruzPhoenix
10-04-2009, 10:05 PM
my favorite line from "The Knitting Circle":

"It's only knitting, not rocket science."

my mantra when a pattern's giving me grief...

margz3
10-05-2009, 09:55 AM
I get a bit nervous about trying new techniques, but usually find that once you jump and and just do it, they aren't as scary as you thought they would be!

Sunshine's Mom
10-05-2009, 10:02 AM
I just finished my first fair isle project and it came out really nice - so, I'm not afraid of that anymore.

I've done socks toe-up with 2 circs, but I prefer dpns, so I'll stick to that. Besides, I don't like the heel with toe-up socks. Just my preference.

I'm afraid of bobbles (intarsia), but I'm sure I'll try it at some point.

I'm also afraid of sweaters. I've done one, but I'm not sure I'd do another. Takes too long.

The only way to learn is to do it. If all else fails, make sure whatever yarn you buy is something you love so that you can make it into something else should the first project go belly-up!

evona
10-05-2009, 06:36 PM
I am not afraid of anything really, I just hate seaming. I'm not that good at it. But if I do it really really slowly it works ;)

I LOVE magic loop! I was afraid of it at first and now I am just thrilled with it.

I want to learn to do socks on two circs and double knitting - those are my next big things :)

msplainjane
10-05-2009, 08:58 PM
I'm really wanting to knit some wool longies for our son but I'm nervous for some reason!

Knitter in South Korea
10-06-2009, 03:26 AM
I was really afraid of cables until I tried it. Still afraid of the more intricate ones. I'm also afraid of patterns that say "no stitch needed" or something like that. What does that mean?!!

Debkcs
10-06-2009, 04:59 AM
I was going to quote, "There is nothing to fear but fear itself." Woodi beat me to it.

Just TRY the thing you don't think you could do, you'll surprise yourself.

I'm a clutsy knitter. Knitting math throws me, I lose stitches, my hands cramp due to rheumatoid arthritis; but I keep at it, bit by bit.

Evan, don't know where you live in Portland, but go to Yarn Garden. Not only do they have great yarns, but they have wonderful clerks (including a few guys!) who will help you over the rough spots.

etoilechaude
10-06-2009, 05:28 AM
I was going to quote, "There is nothing to fear but fear itself." Woodi beat me to it.

Just TRY the thing you don't think you could do, you'll surprise yourself.

I'm a clutsy knitter. Knitting math throws me, I lose stitches, my hands cramp due to rheumatoid arthritis; but I keep at it, bit by bit.

Evan, don't know where you live in Portland, but go to Yarn Garden. Not only do they have great yarns, but they have wonderful clerks (including a few guys!) who will help you over the rough spots.
Thanks Deb!!! I've found that the Portland knitting scene is just AMAZING!!!!! I'm trying to find a group to get with, but I'm kinda nervous about just jumping in... I know it's silly, but as social as I am I still have that feeling ;o)

I was JUST near Yarn Garden the other night (we finally stopped in to Doug Fir just to be horribly dissapointed... although that's for another topic) ... but I was sad I didn't realize how close I was!!! This weekend I'll likely make the trip there :oD

lelvsdgs
10-06-2009, 11:44 AM
I wouldn't say I'm afraid to do things but more nervous about my patience. I've just this year (after knitting for 40 yrs) to do in the round and I've tackled socks this year. I'm now addicted to socks...
I've learned how to do beaded knitting as well.

What I find is that I have to realize and acknowledge that I don't know the technique so expect to make mistakes and have to frog. It takes a lot of the fear out of trying something new. Instead of dreading it, I think of it as an adventure. I've also noticed that the more I learn and try, the easier it is to try the next thing.

Plantgoddess+
10-06-2009, 09:50 PM
The closest to a fear in knitting for me is steeks. There is just something so wrong about taking scissors and cutting holes in your knitting. Maybe someday.
I have messed up so many things over the years, been disappointed in fit on some sweaters which I wore anyway and have since frogged. I realized I shouldn't knit any pattern that doesn't show the whole item clearly. I've knit sweaters only to find out that there was a reason the model was sitting all curled up with the sleeves pushed up her arms.

UruzPhoenix
10-07-2009, 01:20 PM
One thing i try to do is when I go through patterns and find one for something i'm in the mood to knit in general, I try to find one that forces me to learn at least 1 new thing. Then I take the pattern line by line and it ends up being fairly easy.

linknit41
10-07-2009, 07:22 PM
Is there any knitting technique that you would love to try but are afraid of? How come?

I would love to do two needle socks but just can't seem to wrap my head around how to knit in the round with just two circs....so totally afraid I'd mess it up. Also afraid of needing to buy a lot more needles if it worked!

I am also afraid of color knitting- again cuz of messing up and getting into some tangled mess. But there have been some nice sweater designs using color changes, etc, that have been tempting me!

I have done socks with 2 circulars, and it is not particularly difficult--IF you have 2 different colors of needles. Then you know you are always to work with the one color needle at a time. linknit41

Simply_Renee
10-09-2009, 09:49 AM
Nothing!

Be fearless in your knitting!

Simply_Renee
10-09-2009, 09:52 AM
also afraid of patterns that say "no stitch needed" or something like that. What does that mean?!!

Do you mean like a grayed out or white area on a chart with "no stitch"? That usually means that the stitch was already decreased on the row before so it isn't there anymore for you to work anyway. You should have the same # of charted stitches as stitches in the row. It's one of those things that's easier when you're in the middle of it than when you're thinking about it before you start.

Dari
10-10-2009, 01:33 AM
I am scared to death to keep going on the pair of fingerless gloves I have started. I finished the ribbing on the first one, and now I'm so scared I haven't worked on it in about two weeks. I have a friend who is going to help me, though, so it shouldn't take me too too long to get over that fear.

I'm also really scared to learn how to do socks. I just bought the most beautiful sock yarn imaginable (Colinette's Jitterbug merino in colorway Florentina, absolutely delectable), but I'm nervous about using size 3 DPNs, and the HEEL. Scary McScarypants.

AmyLeigh
12-29-2009, 10:43 PM
Steeking is something I've only recently heard of, yet I'm so leary of it. If I understand correctly you knit something in the round, then cut holes for arms or anthing else you want. I may experiment with hand warmers, but I'll need someone to show me how (to hold my hand while I do it!).

zkimom
12-30-2009, 01:18 AM
Steeking. Taking scissors to something I've pretty much finished? I don't think so.

trvvn5
12-30-2009, 08:55 AM
Steeking. Taking scissors to something I've pretty much finished? I don't think so.

Oh God. What sick twisted bastard thought of this technique.

AngelaR
12-30-2009, 09:04 AM
I'm terrified I cannot reweave a hole in my favorite sweater or knit the type of socks my DFIL loves but they no longer sell in Holland.

Oh and spiders terrify me :out:

sarahandus
12-30-2009, 09:21 AM
I am afraid of steeks, and can see no reason to ever try to learn it. I can get enough holes in my knitting without taking scissors to it.

I was afraid of dpns until a few days ago when I gave them a try, and found with the years of knitting experience I now have since the first try they are not as hard as all that after all. I have even ordered a set of dpns so I can now do socks. Whether they look like anything is something else that will come in time, hopefully.

So far I haven't been able to make a satisfactory sweater, but I'm determined to do it someday. I think the major problem is that I can't just follow the pattern, I have to make alterations to make it fit better.

melmac51
12-30-2009, 03:46 PM
hmmm....let's see....cables, dpns, socks, steeking, pretty much everything! Although, I did conquer my fear of using circular needles by joining the Oddball Pet Snuggles group. Now, I love it!

KnitandPurl
12-30-2009, 03:54 PM
Making a mistake and not catching it for a long time. :wall:

knitcindy
12-30-2009, 09:43 PM
I'm afraid of making a sweater!!!! The seaming, will it look nice on me, is the yarn the "right" color for me.......EVERYTHING!!!!!

I'm afraid of it making me look like a frumpy, dumpy lump! So, while I've made tons of blankets, shawls, scarves, (FLAT things) I have never made a sweater - or something to be worn.

Not sure I'm willing to step out into the abyss of sweater-land just yet, but I might attempt it some time.

knitcindy

MesaVerde
12-30-2009, 09:47 PM
Cables and inarstia. I don't want to attempt the twisting of inarstia, and cables scare me. :0

zkimom
12-31-2009, 09:18 AM
Oh God. What sick twisted bastard thought of this technique.

:teehee:

My thoughts exactly!

zkimom
12-31-2009, 09:20 AM
Entrelac and Fair Isle knitting. Yeah, and socks, too. :pout:

Holy moly, ArtLady! I would have never thought there was a knitting technique you'd be afraid of!

Crycket
12-31-2009, 10:37 AM
Technique wise, nothing scares me...

Scary is tackling the balls that get tangled to the point of frustration, but, maybe that is less scary than annoying....

ajsgramma
12-31-2009, 10:39 AM
:cheering: if my stuff is not PERFECT, I give up.
If I gave up if my knitting wasn't perfect, I'd never get anything done! :aww:
In quilting, the Amish people intentionally make at least one mistake because in their view, "only God can make something perfect".
I've had some of my best successes built around a mistake that turned into a design element. Just go for it & enjoy!:knitting:
(((HUGS)))Verna

WolfWalker
12-31-2009, 02:38 PM
Entrelac is just one of those things where you throw blind trust into the pattern, just do exactly what it says, and within a very short time you'll be saying "Wow, that really DOES work!" Seriously, I've knit an entire blanket (supposed to be a baby blanket but I'm sure this baby will get many years of good service from it) in entrelac, and yes, at first it seemed just plain odd, wrong, strange, but after the first "row" was completed I realized that it was just my own mind that was making it so difficult! :)

Debra in NC

2girlsmom
12-31-2009, 03:23 PM
DPNs scare me.... but.... I bought several sets from KP so I'll be trying that soon! :cheering:

bambi
01-01-2010, 11:20 PM
Responding to the title and not the actual question, I'm really just afraid of SPIDERS!!! :roflhard: :roflhard:

meowmeowmeow
01-04-2010, 11:16 PM
I wouldn't exactly call it a fear as much of something I try damn hard to avoid.My knitting nightmare would be seaming something up and seeing that it's not 100% evenly done(as in one stitch from left, one from right on the appropriate rows).For this reason, I find myself putting pins in work every 10 stitches to make sure everything is perfectly aligned.

O.C.D. FTW!

Ronda
01-05-2010, 09:01 AM
:cheering:
In quilting, the Amish people intentionally make at least one mistake because in their view, "only God can make something perfect".
I've had some of my best successes built around a mistake that turned into a design element. Just go for it & enjoy!:knitting:
(((HUGS)))Verna

I'm back in the saddle again. After months NOT knitting, I'm knitting again...mistakes and all. :) Thanks for the encouragement!

Jan in CA
01-05-2010, 01:33 PM
Responding to the title and not the actual question, I'm really just afraid of SPIDERS!!! :roflhard: :roflhard:

Snakes. Snakes are freaky. :lol:

outdoordrea
01-05-2010, 02:12 PM
Steeking is my next hurdle. I found some really good videos on youtube that help step through the process.

tokmom
01-05-2010, 03:18 PM
Yeah, mittens. I'm going to buy Amy's video when it's availble. Her sock tutorial is priceless.

Intarsia and Fair Isle are two things I want to learn but am scared too.

Robinknits
01-05-2010, 04:33 PM
I was afraid of Fair Isle until I tried it. Not so bad and it looks so cool!

MesaVerde
01-06-2010, 12:17 AM
:cheering:
(((HUGS)))Verna
Can you post one of these projects?