PDA

View Full Version : Cant understand the cable instructions

JoB
10-12-2009, 11:07 PM
I am embarking on a Circular needle afghan. Have knitted the first 7 rows. Now the instructions read:

K7, pm, work in pat to last 7 sts,

Under the instructions " Patttern Stitch"

Cables ( multiple of 7 sts +1)
Rows 1,3 and 5 RS Knit

Does this mean I cable back 7 onto cn? What a big hole that would be.

I need help on this since I have just cast on 162 stitches and am looking at a major paortion of my future!!

schoen1605
10-12-2009, 11:27 PM
There should be more rows to the cable instructions. Rows 1, 3 and 5 just say to knit all sts. They don't say anything about where to place a cable.

JoB
10-13-2009, 12:05 AM
The only note under the Patter Stitch says"

Cables (Multiple of 7 sts +1)

Surely you cant cable 7 back and knit one and knit the rest off the cn> I can send the instructions to you but thats what they say.

suzeeq
10-13-2009, 12:21 AM
Is the pattern online where we could look at it, or a picture? What do you do on rows 2, 4, and 6?

Jan in CA
10-13-2009, 01:56 AM
Do you have a link to the pattern?

Lisa R.
10-13-2009, 08:50 AM
Right. You're missing part of the instructions. Sometimes the cable pattern is written separately at the bottom of the pattern or somethign like that.

And no, it doesn't mean puttins 7 stitches on the cable needle and knitting one...that "multiple of 7 stitches plus 1" tells how many stitches are going to be IN the cable pattern. That's not the cable pattern itself. It has to be listed elsewhere.

Is there any way to link the pattern or give us more information?

JoB
10-13-2009, 10:27 AM
The pattern is in a book I got from the Knitting magazine and not online
The only instructions go:

Special Abbreviation
C4(cr oss4) Slip nexct st to cn and hold in front, k 3rd st on LH needle, k first and 2nd sts, k1 from cn

PatternStitch
Cables ( multiple of 7sts + 1)
Rows 1, 3 and 5 (RS) Knit
Rows 2 and 4: P3 k2, *p5,k2: rep from * across wnd last rep 3
Rows 6 and 8 [k2 sl 1] twice * k3 sl 1 k2 sl 1: rep from * acroos, end last rep k2
Row 7 p2, sl1 k2 sl 1 *p3, sl 1, k2, sl1: rep from * across, end last rep p2
Row 9 K2, C4 * k3, c4: rep from * across end last k2

So the only time you cable is in Row nine but what does C4 have to do with the instructrion under pattern stitch "Cables (myltiple of 7 sts plus1) ????

You are wonderful if youi can help!!

Mirl56
10-13-2009, 10:46 AM
I am embarking on a Circular needle afghan. Have knitted the first 7 rows. Now the instructions read:

K7, pm, work in pat to last 7 sts,

I need help on this since I have just cast on 162 stitches and am looking at a major portion of my future!!

OK, you'll be keeping those first 7 and last 7 stitches in garter stitch, knit each row. They want you to pm (place marker) so that it will stand out when you get to the marker you need to change the next stitch.

For the sitches in between the 2 markers, you're are starting with the first pattern row, or row 1 of the pattern:
row 1: knit
Continue, keeping the first/last 7 stitches as knit stitches.
Next will come Row 2: P3 k2, *p5,k2: rep from * across wnd last rep 3
continue following each row instruction,
When you get to row 9, that is where you will cross the stiches for the cable - C4 which is done this way: Slip nexct st to cn and hold in front, k 3rd st on LH needle, k first and 2nd sts, k1 from cn

This line: Cables ( multiple of 7sts + 1) -- you don't really need to do anything with that.

HTH

suzeeq
10-13-2009, 11:10 AM
So the only time you cable is in Row nine but what does C4 have to do with the instructrion under pattern stitch "Cables (myltiple of 7 sts plus1) ????

It's just telling you that the whole cable stitch pattern is worked over a multiple of 7 sts plus one. If you look at the rows, like row 2:
" P3 k2, *p5,k2: rep from * across wnd last rep 3"

you see that the repeated part of p5, k2 is 7 sts, and the last time you work it, you do p5, k3 so that adds the extra stitch. Similarly, in Row 9, it's:

"K2, C4 * k3, c4: rep from * across end last k2"

and the repeat of k3, C4 is 7 sts.

JoB
10-13-2009, 11:12 AM
Ok, so the actual cable size is only 4 stitches wide?? seems small but I think you've cleared it up for me. I will try later today and will let you know how I come out. Thanks so much for being there!!

suzeeq
10-13-2009, 11:14 AM
Right the cables are 4 sts, you slip 2 sts to a cable needle, knit or purl 2 from the regular needle, then knit or purl the 2 on the cable needle. There should be some instructions for C4 somewhere in your pattern.

Lisa R.
10-13-2009, 12:24 PM
Right the cables are 4 sts, you slip 2 sts to a cable needle, knit or purl 2 from the regular needle, then knit or purl the 2 on the cable needle. There should be some instructions for C4 somewhere in your pattern.

Suzeeq...JoB said this: Special Abbreviation
C4(cr oss4) Slip nexct st to cn and hold in front, k 3rd st on LH needle, k first and 2nd sts, k1 from cn

I'm assuming that's the instruction, but it seems weird. Dealing with 4 stitches, you slip one onto the cable needle, then knit the THIRD stitch, then the first two? Is it some sort of twist? Or...I can't visualize it. I'd wonder if it were a typo, but then it says, "k1 from cn" so it sounds like it's supposed to say that.

Any thoughts?

suzeeq
10-13-2009, 06:33 PM
Okay, that's another way to cable and it's a twist within a cable. Slip 1 st to the cable needle and let it dangle in front, knit the 3rd st on the left needle, then knit the 2 on the needle in front of it and finally the one on the cable needle. Try it on some scrap yarn (after you knit a few of the preceding rows) and if you follow it exactly, it'll work out. It helps if you're not a tight knitter, or if the sts are done on larger needles for an involved cable like this one.