PDA

View Full Version : Circular Knitting and slip stitch

JoB
10-13-2009, 08:13 PM
You all have helped me so much so far with a cable pattern in an afghan. I have gotten to rows where I slip a stitch twice in every 7 stitches:

Pattern goes:
Rows 6 and 8 [k2,sl 1] twice, * k3 sl 1, k2, sl 1; and repeat across row

Row 7 P2 sl 1, k2, sl 1, * p3, sl 1, k2,sl 1 and repeat across row.

I did this but on the return Row 7...am I slipping the previous ros's slipped stitch which seems to cause a loose stitch and gap.

What's the correct way to slip a stitch if there are no directions to yarn over?? Always slip knitwise ( see... I'm picking up these fancy terms already!!.

trvvn5
10-13-2009, 08:30 PM
If I'm reading this correctly when you finally knit or purl the stitch that you have been slipping, it sholdn't cause a hole, it shold actually cause a slight bunching in the area of the slipped stitches.

It's kind of hard to figure this out without the whole pattern though. Cuz I can't really see where that stitch is eventually going to be stitched again.

JoB
10-13-2009, 08:40 PM
When I read the pattern...which I can send you, the same slipped stitch is always going to be slipped in these particular rows

suzeeq
10-13-2009, 10:07 PM
If you look at the end of the row for row 6 - * k3 sl 1, k2, sl 1; and repeat across row - and the beginning of row 7 - P2 sl 1, k2, sl 1, - you start row 7 with p2, sl 1, that's the slip st and the 2 k sts from the end of row 6, then k2 sl 1, will be the slip st and 2 of the k3 from row 6. So you're slipping the same sts on 6 and 8, but they get worked on row 7.

JoB
10-13-2009, 11:47 PM
You are a joy! I'll try this. Thanks.

A rainy night in Tennessee is a great tim e to knit and discover new friends like youi!!

OffJumpsJack
10-15-2009, 10:17 AM
You all have helped me so much so far with a cable pattern in an afghan. I have gotten to rows where I slip a stitch twice in every 7 stitches:

Pattern goes:
Rows 6 and 8 [k2,sl 1] twice, * k3 sl 1, k2, sl 1; and repeat across row

Row 7 P2 sl 1, k2, sl 1, * p3, sl 1, k2,sl 1 and repeat across row.

I did this but on the return Row 7...am I slipping the previous ros's slipped stitch which seems to cause a loose stitch and gap.

What's the correct way to slip a stitch if there are no directions to yarn over?? Always slip knitwise ( see... I'm picking up these fancy terms already!!.

If you look at the end of the row for row 6 - * k3 sl 1, k2, sl 1; and repeat across row - and the beginning of row 7 - P2 sl 1, k2, sl 1, - you start row 7 with p2, sl 1, that's the slip st and the 2 k sts from the end of row 6, then k2 sl 1, will be the slip st and 2 of the k3 from row 6. So you're slipping the same sts on 6 and 8, but they get worked on row 7.

Sue, JoB, Wait! If you work the pattern flat, yes row 7 will work the previously slipped sts and slip sts that are worked in 6 and 8,
BUT
The thread title, "Circular Knitting and slip stitch" suggest otherwise. This pattern was written for working flat (back and forth).

JoB, are you trying to work this pattern in the round as written using circular needles?

Edit to add:
Oh, I see you called it an Afghan, so that wouldn't be worked in the round unless it is round and flat (like a giant doily). :oops:

As it is an Afghan, Sue is absolutely right and I'm just tripped up by a minor detail. Sorry. Good thing I saw that before I raised an alarm.

Carry on... :lol:

suzeeq
10-15-2009, 10:46 AM
She, and the pattern, said rows, so I figured it's flat.

JoB, even when you use circular needles, knitting with them flat is not the same as knitting in the round, it's just the same as straight needles. Circular knitting is when you join the sts at the beginning and knit a tube.

JoB
10-15-2009, 02:45 PM
Yes is on circular needles but now I', having trouble with the correct way to do C4. Pattern says to slip k st onto CN then to knit the 3rd k st then the first k st then the 2nd k st then knit the stitch on the CN. When I knit the third stitch do I pull it over sts 1 and 2 to put it on my RH needle? Seems to make a large pull thread?

suzeeq
10-15-2009, 04:42 PM
You're not pulling any st over another, you just knit them out of order. Stitches look this on the left needle -- 4 3 2 1 - 1 is closest to the tip and you put that on a cable needle. Knit st 4, then st 2 and 3 and finally st 1 off the cn. It might help if you have two cable needles, one for st 1, and the other for sts 2 and 3.

JoB
10-15-2009, 06:18 PM
Great IDEA about the two cable needles....I'll try this. Thanks so much!
But when I knit #4 stitch...how would I pull it onto my RH needle if I didn't have the two cable needles. They should have told me that...UR a genius!

suzeeq
10-15-2009, 07:15 PM
You don't 'pull' an old st onto the right needle at all, the new st made goes on the R needle. The #4 st stays on the left needle, the new st goes onto the right needle as usual, then after you knit sts 2 and 3 you drop all three of the sts (2, 3, 4) off the left needle. Give it a try on a sample; CO about 10 sts, do a few rows in stockinette, then p 3, do this 4 st cable and you can see how it works.

JoB
10-16-2009, 01:48 AM
You are right... Better to knit a small swatch and see how it works. I will try that. That cable row goes so slowly though with trying to "force the RH knit needle into that 4th stitch....That one row of 162 stitches took 30 minutes...I am slow..but would metal needles slide better? I have plastic ones now.

suzeeq
10-16-2009, 10:29 AM
Yes metal needles would probably be easier to work with.

I know what you mean about slow cables. I kind of like the look of them, but don't like fiddling with them, so don't knit them. I much prefer doing lace with it's YOs and decs to cables, it goes pretty fast.

OffJumpsJack
10-16-2009, 02:27 PM
Yes is on circular needles but now I', having trouble with the correct way to do C4. Pattern says to slip k st onto CN then to knit the 3rd k st then the first k st then the 2nd k st then knit the stitch on the CN. When I knit the third stitch do I pull it over sts 1 and 2 to put it on my RH needle? Seems to make a large pull thread?

You're not pulling any st over another, you just knit them out of order. Stitches look this on the left needle -- 4 3 2 1 - 1 is closest to the tip and you put that on a cable needle. Knit st 4, then st 2 and 3 and finally st 1 off the cn. It might help if you have two cable needles, one for st 1, and the other for sts 2 and 3.

Oh, this reminds me of the Columns Scarf I did. The "Columns" were just a two stitch twisted rib but they were done similarly: k 2nd st then k 1st then slip both off LN and that was difficult enough to manage. Was it you, Sue, or Jan in CA that told me how to transpose the two stitches? It was fist slipping each separately to RN then both tog back to LN (transposing pair) and finally knit (all slips were knitwise.)

:think: And now re- :think: It depend on if the pattern had the CN to front or to back...
Well, here is how I think it would apply to this "gnarled" cable.
-- CN to front in pattern:
sl st 1 to right needle (RN) knit wise and slip 3, 2 purl wise to CN held to back, sl st 4 to RN knit wise then slip 1,4 tog from front back to LN knit wise (left needle into st 1 then st 4 on RN), slip 4 purl wise to RN, slip 3,2 PW to LN, and finally slip 4, PW to LN.

OR
-- CN to back in pattern:
sl st 1 to RN (backward TBL), slip both 3,2 PW onto CN held to front, sl 4 onto RN (behind BL), then slip LN into 1,4 tog from behind and off RN, move CN to back, slip 4 PW back to RN, slip 3,2 PW to LN, and finally slip 4 PW back to LN.

Both will give stitches in order -- 1,3,2,4 on LN so you can knit them in order from right to left. They differ in how the sts cross:
[1]The first method has st 1 crossing in front of all sts and 4 crossing in front of sts 3&2.
[2]The second method has 1 crossing behind all sts, 4 crossing in front of sts 3&2.
:think: Yeah, that look right (in my head).

That may help when the stitches don't stretch or slide.

On my scarf I switched to metal needles but used still alternated between the k 2nd st then k 1st st method and the ss & stog back & knit in new (transposed) order. They were equivalent and looked identical. I found the slipping had slightly neater loops.

Good luck! Can you tell me where you found the pattern? It sounds like a challenge and I like challenges; they teach me new stuff! :cool: