PDA

View Full Version : Is there a perfect interchangeable set?

gotta knit
10-22-2009, 12:23 AM
I have assorted circs I've bought over the years, but I still find myself buying a different brand in a different length every now and then. So I'm in the market for a set of interchangeable needles.

I know each person has their favourite, and personal preference varies. But from the reviews I've found, all of the sets seem to have at least one shortcoming:

Addis sound very nice, but I'm really struggling to justify the price no matter how good they may be. Are they really THAT good?

Hiya hiya appeal to me. Apparently a great cable & join. But I hear the tips are only 4" long and they look less pointy than KP Options, so I'm not so sure anymore. I think that would really bother me.

KP Options also seem to have a great cable & join. They have a longer pointier tip than hiya hiya, so it looks like they win. But it sounds like they need frequent re-tightening while in use and I'll need to keep the customer service # handy (edited to add: for broken cables, detached connected ends). Are they worth these hassles?
(Harmony & Zephyr are just a different material with the same cable & join, right?)

Denise and/or Boye are described as adequate, but the cable/tip joins apparently don't fit that well. I have a set of bamboo circs with a join that catches which really frustrates me, so those are out.

I was excited to think about getting a set. But it seems like I'll be settling, no matter which set I choose. Not so exciting any more.

Jan in CA
10-22-2009, 12:41 AM
Well, you already know the answer to this question. No. There is no perfect set. They all have occasional problems and they have their good side, too.

For interchangeables..I have two sets. Denise and Options. Options wins hands down. I absolutely love them AND I've never, ever had a needle come unscrewed. You can use one of those shelf liner things (I cut a 3 in square) and use that to tighten and loosen. No problems. I like that I can buy needles and cables singly if I want to..and I have in the sizes I use most. Their customer service is outstanding and they have helped the few times I've had an issue. For my money, knowing that nothing is perfect there is no contest.

Oh for the Denise I liked them, but I never liked the cable. Too fat and not as flexible.

Craw
10-22-2009, 08:01 AM
You're right when you say there's no perfect set. Btw, I don't hear all that much about the Options coming unscrewed while knitting. It's never happened to me. You just have to use the key properly and that won't happen. The cables breaking are another story. Still, they are always cheerfully replaced.

All the things you've mentioned is what's kept me from buying any particular set. I try this brand and that brand as I need them. The latest set I'm looking into is Webs' own brand of bamboo interchangeables. They will soon be selling individual tips and cables and when they do, I'll get to try them out.

P.S. I think the Addi are worth every penny. I only have some of the fixed circulars myself but if I could, I'd buy the set. I even find myself planning projects to fit the Addi needles I do have because I enjoy working with them so much.

WandaT
10-22-2009, 08:43 AM
I think you just have to find the set that's perfect for YOU. I love my Options and Harmonies. Yes, there are occasional problems, but they are few and far between for me - and I usually knit daily. Considering Knit Picks customer service, I'm very happy.

gotta knit
10-22-2009, 09:24 AM
It was late when I posted this. I think I actually meant to ask for an ideal set.

Thanks Jan & Wanda, I am leaning heavily toward the Options. Buying individual tips & cables is important, what I also liked about the hiya hiyas.

Craw, I hadn't seen the Webs bamboos. They look like a REALLY nice set. Unfortunately, the tips are short at 4 & 1/8".

Jan in CA
10-22-2009, 01:40 PM
I would also like to point out again that I believe the problems with cables breaking isn't as prevalent as you'd think from reading forums. It does happen occasionally, and sometimes a needle or cable can have thread issues, but you gotta remember that the people with a problem post about it whereas the people who don't have problems don't. Considering the number of people that have them I really think it's not a huge issue.

Lisa R.
10-22-2009, 02:00 PM
Yeah, I have to chime in with Jan. When your cable breaks or comes loose from the join, it's a pain!

But seriously, high-balling the estimate, I'll bet I've read maybe 50-75 people complaining about that happening. If you figure I don't read that often and I've missed a bunch, multiply even by 10, and you're talking 500-750 people with problems. (not a scientific way of making a determination, of course, but you get the idea). I'm pretty sure they've sold WAY more sets than that, or they wouldn't still be in business!

I've bought two sets of KP interchangeables--one Harmony and one Options, and the only problem I've ever had with KP is a small sock needle coming loose--a fixed circ, not even an interchangeable! I've had mine for about 2 1/2 years for the Options and about 1 1/2 years for the Harmonies, and i knit pretty regularly, if not as prolifically as some on these boards!

globaltraveler
10-22-2009, 04:43 PM
Hiya Hiya interchangeables are also short. I like them, but they do come untwisted (I understand a spot of dental wax will fix it but haven't been where they sell any yet -- until now!), and they are short. Also, I've noticed that the sts sometimes hang up on the ends every now and again. Other than that, I like the HH. I also own KP sets and like them as well. Am waiting to try Addi when I get into Germany, where they're cheaper -- I love Addi's fixed needles!

gotta knit
10-23-2009, 01:01 PM
I really wish there was a way to TRY them before deciding. I'm worried about making a decision I'm unhappy with in the end.

There's a shop about an hour from me that sells the Addis, so I might go look. (The price is acceptable if they're a birthday gift, right?!) I'm also tempted to order a single set of tips and a longer cable from KP for a chance to try them, despite the shipping cost.

What factor finally helped you decide?

Jan in CA
10-23-2009, 01:16 PM
Not sure who you mean by "you" in that last statement, but helped me decided on Options was price, customer service, and the fact that thousands of other users love them.

BTW..you can buy a singly to try them. That's what I did.

Plantgoddess+
10-23-2009, 02:27 PM
I also was uncertain which set to buy, but by doing a lot of reading of posts here and elsewhere decided that KP's would suit me best. I bought the Harmonys and haven't regretted it. I broke a couple of the size 4 tips by sitting on my knitting and ordered replacements plus extras of the 3 smallest size needles because those I use the most. I bought some extra cables because I also tend to have several projects going and this way I can screw the end caps on and use the tips on another cable and keep on going.
I haven't had to have anything replaced because of quality issues after almost 2 years and am glad I bought them.

globaltraveler
10-24-2009, 09:32 AM
Well, I'm exceedingly lucky in that I can currently afford to just buy several sets, decide which ones I like the best overall, and then will sell the others as used. So far, I'm liking the KP nickels the best overall, but still haven't had a chance to try the Addi needles. They do all have their good and bad points, so it's all going to come down to your own preferences.

I'd definitely advise buying a "test" set of each kind of tips within the range of sizes you like the best, and buy different length cables. That way, you'll always have a range of circulars you can use, you'll be able to test which ones you like the best, and they'll be way useful to your needle collection.

Vertigo1414
10-24-2009, 01:22 PM
i've been looking in to interchangables too, and i think i've settled on the KP needles for myself. for me it was down to Addi and KP and my final decision was based on a couple things. Addi doesn't have a size US5 but has a US10.75 (but you can order a 10.76 from KP), i have not seen a place to buy more needles or cables as needed from Addi, and KP has great customer service that I've heard will take care of problems and i'm not sure if Addi has that.
I'm not trying to bash Addi in any way, i'm just pointing out the things that mattered to me and infulanced MY decision.

Crycket
10-25-2009, 12:31 PM
The only thing that really bugs me about sets...is most of them don't come with a 16" cable option....*sigh*....

I am starting to think a set of KP Options might be a good idea too!

I have Denises...and I use them a lot...the only thing that really bugs me about them, is that when you add a cable extender, you are forever having to push your stitches over it!

We will see...knitting equipment is always an investment...

Jan in CA
10-25-2009, 12:48 PM
Yeah, but you can get 16 in needles and they don't cost a whole lot. I bought 3 in the sizes I use most. :thumbsup:

globaltraveler
10-25-2009, 10:30 PM
KnitPro in the rest of the globe outside the US does sell the shorter cable and shorter tips to make shorter sets. Hiya Hiya also does the shorter version, too, which is part of why all of their needle tips are so short.

bambi
10-25-2009, 10:45 PM
I haven't tried the hiya hiya or Denise.

I love my KP Options and have never had a problem with them coming unscrewed or the join coming loose, although a few people have had that problem. KP is always wonderful for customer service so they will replace anything.

I got a set of Boye Needlemasters off EBay for about 1/2 retail but I hardly use them as the cables are SUPER stiff and they give me tendonitits. I am keeping them in case I ever decide to learn the 2 circ method of tube knitting.

Hope all our opinions help.

gotta knit
10-26-2009, 08:31 AM
Thank-you for all of your opinions and experiences. They have been extremely helpful.

The Denise were never a real consideration because of the quality of the cables & joins.
I was seriously starting to search for hiya hiya retailers within a reasonable drive (wanting to try hands on), but the short tips ended that.
The Options sound great, the only hesitation being the sporadic quality issues (even though CS is so helpful). It's encouraging to hear some of you haven't had any problems!
The Addi clicks are only a consideration thanks to birthday $. A US 5 tip can be ordered extra (or now appears to be part of the set) and the lack of a short cable doesn't bother me (I was doing modified ML before I even knew what it was).

I still struggle rationalizing the cost of the Addis (how can knitting needles be worth that price?), esp. since I've seen some ends separating from cables on new clicks online as well. So I decided against an afternoon drive to check out the Addi hype. I've ordered a 40" Options cable & 1 tip, replacing a bamboo circ I recently broke anyways. I hope to love it and will then order the whole set.

globaltraveler
10-26-2009, 08:44 AM
I wouldn't worry too much about the KP quality issues. I've never had any separation problems with mine (nickels), and I use them very heavily. (They do unscrew fairly regularly, but I'm told some orthodontal braces wax will stop that, so I'm looking forward to trying it.)

A lot will also depend on your tip preference. If you like sharp tips, def go for the KP, which are sharper than the Addi.

I have to say, when I first got the HH tips, I was shocked at how short they were, but I'm finding that I'm adjusting my knitting style to the shorter length fairly easily. Not everyone can do that, I know, but just thought it was worth mentioning, as they feel pretty comfy to knit with now and the shortness is an advantage in some ways.

gotta knit
10-26-2009, 08:59 AM
Thanks Zina.
I forgot about the tip difference between the KP and Addis. I've seen comparison pictures online and think I'll like the KP tips better.

I have a 16" circ with a short tip that I've used for numerous things over the years. I tried it again the other day and could probably use them, but I don't want a full set of short tips so decided the HH were no longer a choice.

GinnyG
10-26-2009, 09:25 AM
The answer to your question is, NO.

There is no perfect interchangable.

I have 3 sets and each has it's faults.

Boye- "catchy join" unflexible cable, the worst of the bunch

Denise- VERY thick cable, often come apart, acrylic needle (which I don't care for) with a dull point.

Options- LOTS of quality issues, the cables on my set frequently come apart. Love the thin cable and poity needle tip but hate the fact that the cable often fails, at the worst possible time.

Jan in CA
10-26-2009, 12:30 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about the KP quality issues. I've never had any separation problems with mine (nickels), and I use them very heavily. (They do unscrew fairly regularly, but I'm told some orthodontal braces wax will stop that, so I'm looking forward to trying it.)

Agreed, but I have NEVER had one unscrew. I use this grippy drawer/shelf liner and the tighten and loosen easily, but remain tight in use. :thumbsup:
http://www.stacksandstacks.com/shelf-liner-grip-it?id=176&sku=10338&utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=googlebase

Tinker
10-26-2009, 12:36 PM
I love my Options. You can tell when the needles are beginning to loosen by the yarn snagging a bit. I just keep an unbent paper clip nearby in case that happens.
Works as well as that little gizmo they include that I'm afraid of losing.

globaltraveler
10-26-2009, 04:24 PM
Jan, after reading up on the KP threads and doing some detective work on my knitting, I think why some people have no problems with the tips unscrewing themselves and why some people always have problems with them unscrewing is that it's probably down to personal knitting style! After watching the way I knit, I realized that I twist the tips a bit while I form the stitches, and after four or five rows on average, they finally start unscrewing.

Jan in CA
10-26-2009, 05:59 PM
Never thought of that! That could be it.

gamerchik
10-26-2009, 06:17 PM
I love my KP Options. Mine do occasionally come unscrewed if I am lazy and don't use the little key thingy. LOL. Anyway, I always thought I preferred my Addis, but after using the KP Options for a while, I think I might actually like the super-pointy tips. I just did a project where I needed a US 8 16" circ, so I used my Addi and the K2T on an eyelet round was *not* fun. It would have been much easier with a pointier tips!

I'm not sure which I prefer.

I do wish KP would sell a 16" cable.

EmeraldSpider
10-26-2009, 06:46 PM
Just want to put in my two cents. I got the kp Zephyrs and I love them. I have not had them very long (a month or 2) but I love the look the feel and they are absolutely my favorite to work with. Also they are the chepest of the KP set and look spectacular. At first because of them being acrylic I was afraid I might break them ( I am clutzy and I knock into everything :oops: ) but I have banged them quite a few times and they are still wonderfully intact. I luv them worth every penny:thumbsup:

ArtLady1981
10-26-2009, 06:52 PM
No. Every set has drawbacks, whether it is performance or price!

It's like asking: is there a perfect man?

No, every man has his good points, and his drawbacks.

But this is for sure...a DRAWBACK in one person's eyes night not be considered a drawback in another person's eyes!

You might toss a guy back into the pond, but
another gal will fish him out and just love him to pieces! :heart::heart::heart:

TeeHee! :teehee:

You must decide for yourself about the perfect set of interchangeable needles! All we can offer is our 2 cents worth...and all it's worth is 2 cents! :wink:

zkimom
10-27-2009, 01:48 PM
I am one of the apparently few people who have had issues with the KP Harmonies. I bought mine very soon after they came out and used them for all my knitting. I find that the needles come out of the metal base way too easily (poor glue?) and many of my cables have lost their metal joins.

I haven't done any knitting in more than a year and when I went to put my set in order so I could start a new project, I was saddened to find that most everything in the set is broken.

I almost considered a Zephyr set as a replacement because of the cost but don't think I will go in that direction because of the tips. I can't imagine that they will hold up any better than the Harmonies have. I know the Options are more expensive but at least the tips won't come apart on me.

I love the idea of pretty needles but I'd rather have a reliable tool that isn't so cool to look at than one that is more likely to break.

And yes, KP customer service rocks, but I would rather not have to call them.

Just my thoughts!

Susan

Constant Knitter
10-27-2009, 01:50 PM
Just saw this post and wanted to remark about my experience with Denise needles. I absolutely love the portability of the various sizes in one case, but [there's always a but] I've had a couple of problems with the cables breaking mid-knit. In the one year I've owned the set, I've had to replace it twice. It's an inconvenience and a huge frustration, but the benefits of having an interchangeable set far outweight the aggravations. Denise customer service is also very helpful and quite responsive in replacing broken cables. The one issue I do have now is that over time the cable connecting ends tend to wear down and the needles don't stay on properly.

Even with those downsides, I'd still invest in a set simply because of the flexibility.

suzeeq
10-27-2009, 06:53 PM
I've heard of some people who had the needles come out of the base realize that they were tightening the cord by holding the needle. One should always hold the base itself.

globaltraveler
10-27-2009, 07:00 PM
Oooh, good thought. I have no idea how I'm doing it, I'll have to take a look. I prolly am doing it right, tho, cause I haven't had any of the cables come out of the bases...

lactosefree
10-28-2009, 03:19 AM
Has anyone tried the 'new' bamboo interchangeable set from Webs (http://www.yarn.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/categoryID/B80CDD36-A3F1-4E72-BA3C-8AA6A0A54764/productID/54E3DC11-56A2-4904-B570-60F955874B47/)? I have the nickel plated options from KP and love them, but these are tempting me. I'm trying to rationalize it in my head by saying it's bamboo - a whole new medium and the set comes with 16" cords. Can someone have too many needles?

gotta knit
10-28-2009, 08:54 AM
Thanks again to everyone for your continuing opinions. Lots of great advice on how to treat the KPs sets too.

lactosefree - Too many needles? I don't think so, considering I'm buying interchangeables after many years of knitting and a good range of needle sizes. Don't have many dpns or really long cables though, so the interchangeables are my way of making up for that.

The new bamboo set from Webs have tips that are 4 1/8" long - short compared to the KP ones. You may or may not like that. It's personal preference and one reason I'm not getting them. Also, I have broken a circular bamboo needle and my bamboo dpns are bending from use, so it doesn't appear to be the right material for me.

Craw
10-28-2009, 09:33 AM
Has anyone tried the 'new' bamboo interchangeable set from Webs (http://www.yarn.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/categoryID/B80CDD36-A3F1-4E72-BA3C-8AA6A0A54764/productID/54E3DC11-56A2-4904-B570-60F955874B47/)?

I'm dying to try them! I don't want to buy the full set yet, just try out one pair of tips. I wrote to WEBS and asked when they'd have individual tips in stock and it may be a while yet. They are trying to keep up with the orders for the entire sets first, then they'll stock the pieces. I keep checking back every day. I'm impatient. :teehee:

ajsgramma
10-28-2009, 01:14 PM
I have to say, when I first got the HH tips, I was shocked at how short they were, but I'm finding that I'm adjusting my knitting style to the shorter length fairly easily. Not everyone can do that, I know, but just thought it was worth mentioning, as they feel pretty comfy to knit with now and the shortness is an advantage in some ways.
I'm really interested in these needles because of their short length. I plan to knit 20 bumblebees for Christmas for my Grandson's class & these sound great!:cheering: Are you still really happy with them? I have carpal tunnel & the shorter needle length sounds like it might be easier to work with in the round.
Thanks & (((HUGS))), Verna

Jan in CA
10-28-2009, 01:33 PM
Has anyone tried the 'new' bamboo interchangeable set from Webs (http://www.yarn.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/categoryID/B80CDD36-A3F1-4E72-BA3C-8AA6A0A54764/productID/54E3DC11-56A2-4904-B570-60F955874B47/)? I have the nickel plated options from KP and love them, but these are tempting me. I'm trying to rationalize it in my head by saying it's bamboo - a whole new medium and the set comes with 16" cords. Can someone have too many needles?

The cable looks like that plastic that stays curled. That would drive me nuts and I'm not inclined to have to dip it boiling water or whatever every time I want to use them. Not cheap for that either. I'll stick to my Options. :thumbsup:

GinnyG
10-28-2009, 02:45 PM
Jan, after reading up on the KP threads and doing some detective work on my knitting, I think why some people have no problems with the tips unscrewing themselves and why some people always have problems with them unscrewing is that it's probably down to personal knitting style! After watching the way I knit, I realized that I twist the tips a bit while I form the stitches, and after four or five rows on average, they finally start unscrewing.

My problem with options is one that is frequently discussed both here and on ravelry is not the tips unscrewing. It it the cable itself coming out of the metal end that screws into the needle. Personal knitting style doesn't cause that, it's caused by the cable not being securely glued inside the metal fitting.

I've had my options for almost 2 years and in that time I have returned 6 sifferent cables to be replaced. The last cable that came apart I didn't even bother returning.

The one good thing is that the cables are pretty cheap and easily replaceable. It's just very annoying when it happens.

suzeeq
10-28-2009, 03:41 PM
How do you hold it when tightening the cable into the tip? By holding the needle or the base?

Jan in CA
10-28-2009, 03:57 PM
My problem with options is one that is frequently discussed both here and on ravelry is not the tips unscrewing. It it the cable itself coming out of the metal end that screws into the needle. Personal knitting style doesn't cause that, it's caused by the cable not being securely glued inside the metal fitting.

Not trying to ruffle anyone's feathers. It's just my opinion. I've had it happen twice and I discovered that it WAS something I was doing. The first time it happened I didn't think much about, but the second time I noticed something. When I tugged the needle to slide the stitches I could see that it was pulling the cable so hard it pulled it out a little. At that point I kept an eye on it and when I did it a few more times it did pull out. I am careful how I move my stitches now and it hasn't been a problem since.

I'm NOT saying this is your problem. And indeed some of the cables may not be glued well, but I haven't had a problem since I stopped yanking so hard.

Sunshine's Mom
10-28-2009, 04:19 PM
More from the 2 cents department:

I have no need to buy a "set" as it were, because I wouldn't use the majority of it on a basis often enough to be worth the cost. Having said that, I love KP needles and pretty much buy them exclusively. I have purchased a couple sets of cables and a few needle tips, but most of my work is small (socks on dpns or 2 circs) and I don't really have a use for the longer cables.

However, just this past week I started a project using dpns that I wanted to change to using a circular needle. I even bought a 16" cabled needle (the smallest that KPs offers) in the size I needed - just in this case (you know, changing my mind mid-stream :wink:). 16" is too long a cable. And wouldn't you know it, KPs doesn't have anything smaller than 16". I was SO BUMMED out about this. KPs prices are incredibly reasonable which is why I buy from them. Now I'd have to look elsewhere. Why, oh why, don't they offer a smaller cable?

I checked out Addis, but Holy Moley - $15 for one 12" circ! No way was I paying that. I ended up getting 4 Boye Balene II 11" circs in sizes I needed for a total - with shipping - of $18. I just hope I like them. But I was not paying the Addi prices.

Bottom line - KPs needs to offer smaller cables and/or put them in the set.

Jan in CA
10-28-2009, 07:36 PM
A great many knitters don't like using the cables smaller than 16". The needles have to be very short and can be uncomfortable to use. I've heard people complain about the 16" needle length. Personally I'd rather use 2 circs if the 16" is too large. :)

suzeeq
10-28-2009, 07:58 PM
Yes, as Jan says, many knitters find needles shorter than 16" too difficult to work with, the needles have to be really short and so do the cords. That's why Magic Loop was invented; you can use longer circs to knit small diameter tubes with. I discovered it myself about 35 years ago when I was trying to knit 30 sts in the round. 29" circs work really well. And using 2 circs works great too.

GinnyG
10-29-2009, 09:11 AM
How do you hold it when tightening the cable into the tip? By holding the needle or the base?

Not trying to ruffle anyone's feathers. It's just my opinion. I've had it happen twice and I discovered that it WAS something I was doing. The first time it happened I didn't think much about, but the second time I noticed something. When I tugged the needle to slide the stitches I could see that it was pulling the cable so hard it pulled it out a little. At that point I kept an eye on it and when I did it a few more times it did pull out. I am careful how I move my stitches now and it hasn't been a problem since.

I'm NOT saying this is your problem. And indeed some of the cables may not be glued well, but I haven't had a problem since I stopped yanking so hard.

Well, I'm not beyond doign something wrong but I have always used the pin in the hole when applying the needle tips. If you hold the pin and twist the tip it's pretty impossible to yank on the cable. I also use a small square of rubber to grip the needle. So I don't THINK I'm yanking the cable but next time I change tips I'll pay more attention.

suzeeq
10-29-2009, 09:55 AM
What I was talking about is if a knitter is holding the pin and twisting the needle itself that seems to cause loosening of the needle from the base. If you hold the pin and twist the base that might prevent the tip coming out of it.

zkimom
10-29-2009, 09:57 AM
What I was talking about is if a knitter is holding the pin and twisting the needle itself that seems to cause loosening of the needle from the base. If you hold the pin and twist the base that might prevent the tip coming out of it.

No, I twist from the base and my needles have still come apart.

suzeeq
10-29-2009, 10:45 AM
Then you got some weak ones all right. They did have problems with some of the earlier sets, and certain sizes in later sets, but are really good about taking care of any problems and making sure they don't re-occur.

Jan in CA
10-29-2009, 12:21 PM
Well, I'm not beyond doign something wrong but I have always used the pin in the hole when applying the needle tips. If you hold the pin and twist the tip it's pretty impossible to yank on the cable. I also use a small square of rubber to grip the needle. So I don't THINK I'm yanking the cable but next time I change tips I'll pay more attention.

No, I meant I yanked when I was actually knitting and sliding stitches not tightening the needles. It sounds like you're doing the actual needle tightening just like I do. :thumbsup:

globaltraveler
10-29-2009, 12:23 PM
Hi Verna:

Are you still really happy with them? I have carpal tunnel & the shorter needle length sounds like it might be easier to work with in the round.

Well, they're not great where I want a really sharp tip, in which case I ship out the KPs. They're lovely when I want a really flexible cable. I still haven't gotten round to getting that orthondontic braces wax to see if it helps both the HHs and the KPs to stop unscrewing on me -- I can't really seem to adjust my knitting style to keep from rotating the tips as I knit (mind you, I haven't really concentrated on it either), so the unscrewing of the tips is a problem for me. (Haven't dropped any stitches since the first time it happened to me, thank goodness, because I check them every row or so.)

They're a little less slick than my KPs, which is sometimes nice, but not nearly as grabby as wood (I don't like wood or plastic because they're grabbier, even on really slippy yarns, I've found).

I'd suggest getting a pair of tips and cable to try it out first, of course. I don't know what your knitting style is like, so YMMV! :) Have fun trying them out!

truF
11-10-2009, 07:57 PM
My practical 2 cents: If these are going to be a gift to you and money isn't an option, why not get the addi clicks? They now come in the soft case and have the US size 5 needle. Then if you want another set (I'm amazed how many knitters have more than one set of interchangeable needles!) you can get the less-expensive set yourself. :)

NotreDameFan
11-11-2009, 09:52 AM
I've had my addi clicks for a while now (also received them for my birthday) and they are the only needles I use. I know they are very expensive, but I just love them and have not had one problem with them. I don't know anything about the other sets mentioned, but just something to keep in mind....sometimes you get what you pay for (or at least that's how I look at it). I hope you find a set that you enjoy as much as I enjoy mine. :hug:

gotta knit
11-18-2009, 10:11 AM
I'm loving the one set of Options tips & cable I bought to try them out.
But I needed to start another project right away, so grabbed one of my old needles in a different size. I can't believe how dull it felt in comparison to the Options, so I placed my order for the full set last night.
Their lack of a 'short' cable doesn't bother me, I was using modified ML before I knew it was an actual technique.

There's a store that sells the Addi clicks about an hour's drive away and I had decided I was going sometime this week, just to see & feel what's so great about them. (I finally found a place online to order one set of tips & cables to try them, but it would have cost $50!!) Since I already know the tips aren't as pointy as the Options though, I've decided not to consider them anymore.

Craw
11-18-2009, 10:26 AM
I was finally able to try a set of tips and a cable from the new bamboo interchangeable set available from Webs. Nice! Probably the smoothest and highest quality bamboo I've worked with, snag-free join, sturdy connection w/no tools, very soft cable. It's on my Christmas list! The only thing is that the tips are quite blunt. Not a problem for me because I like them that way. I can't get into the super sharp tips. All I ever do is split the yarn with them. So, if you're looking for the sharp tips, these aren't it.

gotta knit, I agree, the Addi Clicks are WAY too expensive to try a pair of tips out with. Unless one definitely plans on buying the entire set, it's a huge investment just to try one needle so I don't think it makes much sense.

Gladtobemom
11-19-2009, 05:48 PM
I really wish there was a way to TRY them before deciding. I'm worried about making a decision I'm unhappy with in the end.

There's a shop about an hour from me that sells the Addis, so I might go look. (The price is acceptable if they're a birthday gift, right?!) I'm also tempted to order a single set of tips and a longer cable from KP for a chance to try them, despite the shipping cost.

What factor finally helped you decide?

I "tried' the knitpicks by ordering two sets of tips (one metal one wood) and a couple of cables.

You can order an individual set of denise tips and cables also.

For Addi . . . I haven't found the individuals yet.

Also, in Europe, they sell the 100mm needles for the knitpicks options, I have a few and I really like them to make 16" needles for doing socks with two circulars.

I haven't tried the HiyaHiya interchangeables, but several people at the knitting shop in Britain that I visited had them and said they are virtually identical to the Knitpro (what they call the knitpicks) with 100mm needles.

My kids all started out with a set of Denise needles and they do, indeed, last forever . . . it's amazing. The cable is stiffer and the tips are not quite as pointy . . . but for light Aran, DK, Worsted or thicker . . . they're just fine.

For socks, I've become really fond of the teeny HiyaHiya 9" needles because I can just poke them in my pocket with a little center pull ball of yarn tied up in a hankie. I can knit anywhere.

I'm very into portable knitting.