PDA

View Full Version : A little help deciphering a yarn label please?

Ravennwings
10-23-2009, 11:28 PM
Okay so at my local thrift store I managed to find an unused hank of 60% merino/20% Angora/20% Nylon yarn, light weight, and it's soooo soft and comfortable. I'm having a little trouble with the label, though, because it wasn't made by a big-name company like Lion Brand. It was made by a little company in Maine called Tess' Designer Yarns. On the label, it says "Approx 440 yd / 100 g."

The thing is, I'm not sure if it means "440 yd PER 100g" or "440 yd OR 100g." Can anyone help me please?

Also, can anyone point me in the direction of a pattern for a shrug or bolero that I can make with just this one hank? I only have the one, and don't have the money to buy more (this particular yarn is about $13 bought from the supplier, I got it at the thrift store for $2.)

Thanks so much for your help!

Jan in CA
10-24-2009, 12:24 AM
It means it weights 100 gms and is appx. 440 yds long.

More info is needed to help you find a pattern. What is the name of the yarn, what weight is it (lace, DK, worsted, etc) or what the gauge is.

suzeeq
10-24-2009, 12:36 AM
At 440 yds in a 100 gm skein, it's probably a sport to dk weight yarn that would be knit on size 4-6 needles. You should be able to find quite a few patterns that you could knit. Try www.knittingpatterncentral.com or www.dailyknitter.com, www.knitty.com and it's really a good idea to join ravelry, where you can search for patterns by category and putting in the yarn weight and yardage.

Ravennwings
10-24-2009, 09:32 AM
Thanks, both of you! That's exactly what I needed, and yes, it is sport weight. And thanks for the link to Ravelry! That's wicked awesome, and will come in handy since most of my yarn is second-hand, so I don't always have a clear idea what to make with it :muah: :muah: :muah: