PDA

View Full Version : Found a great new FREE program

momwolf
10-28-2009, 04:25 PM
It makes a chart for any words or letters you want to add to your knitting,and you can customize it:woot:
http://www.thrinberry-frog.com/WinRKA/index.html

sgtpam
10-28-2009, 07:14 PM
It makes a chart for any words or letters you want to add to your knitting,and you can customize it:woot:
http://www.thrinberry-frog.com/WinRKA/index.html

WOW! Can't wait to play with this! Thanks, Momwolf!!!:hug:

momwolf
10-28-2009, 08:58 PM
You're welcome everybody!! I've had loads of fun with it today myself Pam.

OffJumpsJack
10-29-2009, 05:03 PM
Hmm, Does anyone know if this will chart for diagonal row alignment?

Know of any other chart maker that can do diagonal rows?

momwolf
10-29-2009, 10:43 PM
No this will not do diagonal,don't know of any that will sorry:shifty:

ajsgramma
10-31-2009, 11:15 AM
No this will not do diagonal,don't know of any that will sorry:shifty:

I downloaded the program & it looks great! Now that I have it, I'm not sure I really understand how to use it.:blush: I know how to get the sizing right, my question is when knitting the pattern.

I want to make my grandson a scarf for Christmas. I'm planning to knit a wide and narrow scarf with words down the middle. When planning the knitting to get the words in a garter stitch will I need to Knit every other row & purl just the stitches for the words?:think:

I made him a hat recently where I tried adding his initials & it didn't come out as defined as I hoped so I must be doing something wrong. In this case I only purled when a stitch was on the graph & I didn't knit between each row.

Thanks for this great find & for any help you can give a returning knitter after many years away from the craft. I'm having so much fun that my housework has been pushed way to the back burner.:roflhard:
(((HUGS))), Verna

ajsgramma
11-01-2009, 01:15 PM
I searched the first 17 pgs of Help & finally found a site on Knitfoundry with how to read charts info. It helped but I'm still doing something wrong. Last night I made at least 8 different samples of the letter A and none of them worked right.:??

I want the letters to be raised on a stockinette background - not a a different color. It looks easy but it's turning out to be really hard for my head to get around.
Thanks for any help.
(((HUGS))) Verna

momwolf
11-01-2009, 01:23 PM
Move this to the How to Questions and you will get help on this faster.

OffJumpsJack
11-02-2009, 10:24 AM
I downloaded the program & it looks great! Now that I have it, I'm not sure I really understand how to use it.:blush: I know how to get the sizing right, my question is when knitting the pattern.

I want to make my grandson a scarf for Christmas. I'm planning to knit a wide and narrow scarf with words down the middle. When planning the knitting to get the words in a garter stitch will I need to Knit every other row & purl just the stitches for the words?:think:

I made him a hat recently where I tried adding his initials & it didn't come out as defined as I hoped so I must be doing something wrong. In this case I only purled when a stitch was on the graph & I didn't knit between each row.

Thanks for this great find & for any help you can give a returning knitter after many years away from the craft. I'm having so much fun that my housework has been pushed way to the back burner.:roflhard:
(((HUGS))), Verna

Move this to the How to Questions and you will get help on this faster.

Two points, stitches and gauge:

First, the stitches: There are two Garter stitches but they are identical in appearance. You may either knit both RS and RW rows or "reverse garter" by purl on both RS & WS. To make raised letters on a ST ST background you would knit the RS the empty space of the chart and purl the colored cells. Then purl the WS rows.

Second, the gauge: Garter st needs more rows per measure than stockinette st. I learned here on the forum about doing short rows across the garter section about every 4 rows to make up the difference. That prevents the pucker that can form.

itsbecca1979
11-02-2009, 07:49 PM
Thanks, I've been trying to figure out how to make DH a Redskins hat!

ajsgramma
11-03-2009, 10:53 AM
Second, the gauge: Garter st needs more rows per measure than stockinette st. I learned here on the forum about doing short rows across the garter section about every 4 rows to make up the difference. That prevents the pucker that can form.

I'm not sure I understand this part. Could you point me in the direction of the posts in the forum. I'm not sure what to search for.
Thanks so much for your help.
(((HUGS))), Verna

OffJumpsJack
11-03-2009, 01:04 PM
. . . .

I'm not sure I understand this part. Could you point me in the direction of the posts in the forum. I'm not sure what to search for.
Thanks so much for your help.
(((HUGS))), Verna

I'd be happy to link you to it, but I'm still searching for it.

I found the post in What'cha Knittin'? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26) section! Post from ArtLady1981 "WIP: short rows will "even out" your buttonbands (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91021&highlight=garter+edge)"

(I am almost certain it wasn't a figment of my imagination.)
(So relieved I found it. :figureditout: )

ArtLady1981
11-05-2009, 04:30 PM
:hug: Thank you!!! :woohoo: :cheering:

ajsgramma
11-05-2009, 07:32 PM
Artlady so much of what you've posted has benefitted me already!:yay:
I've spent days just reading thru old threads & found some wonderful pattern ideas & design issues I hadn't even thought of yet.
This is the most wonderful place to spent my day!
(((HUGS)))Verna
I've even started knitting when waiting for something to search or download, so I'm not wasting knitting time. So much to finish & so
little time!

OffJumpsJack thank you for taking the time to help me out! I think I've finally figured out what I need to do & will just design my own scarf from start to finish.

lissaplus2
11-06-2009, 10:08 AM
This is AWSOME!! :yay:

ajsgramma
11-29-2009, 10:34 AM
Has anyone used this program yet? How'd it work for you?
I found out the pic I'd seen of writing on the sweater was done after the fact.
I have made large blocky letters, but I want more simple ones so I'm gonna keep trying different things until I get it right. (((HUGS))),Verna