PDA

View Full Version : FO: first picture post, lots of items

Erebos12345
11-20-2009, 03:40 AM
So, I'm still very much a beginner to knitting, but I've been knitting some hats and scarves that I give away at this soup kitchen where I volunteer.

Before I give these away, I thought I'd take some pictures of them first.

A lot of the decorative elements were done with the help of this website.

1) Camouflage scarf-just finished this one tonight from my leftover camouflage yarn. It was done by looping the yarn around the needle twice instead of just once for each knit. That's why it's so loose and looks as if it was knit with really thick needles. Not sure what the technique is called.

2) Green headband-simple headband made from double pointed needles. 2x2 ribbing. Remind me to cast on more stitches next time; it's a bit small.

3) Camouflage hats-both knit on straight needles, then sewn together into a circle.

4) Green scarf-cabling...but like braiding three stripes; and bobbles on the other side, both at regular intervals. Ribbing at the ends

5) Blue and red scarf-don't remember what the technique is called. Every row, I switched colours one stitch after the row before. Made for a simple triangle design.

6, 7, 8) Blue and green scarf-I think this is called double knitting. Scarf, basically two layers thick. I planned this out pretty meticulously and was able to write the five classic elements of asian mythology (or whatever they're called) into the scarf. Blue background with green words: this is the right side. On the other side of the scarf (green background with blue words), you'll see the mirror image of these characters. It's not a big deal since these particular characters are pretty much left-right symmetrical to begin with. For those of you with asian languages installed on your computer:

金-gold/metal
木-wood
水-water
火-fire
土-earth

I'm going to try to knit some mittens with my double pointed needles soon.

Shandeh
11-20-2009, 08:08 AM
Wonderful job! :thumbsup:

WandaT
11-20-2009, 09:47 AM
Great job on all your projects!!!

KnitPrincess
11-20-2009, 11:51 AM
:woohoo: :woohoo: :yay: :yay: Wonderful!!!:yay: :yay:Can't wait to see more :)

margz3
11-20-2009, 12:03 PM
Nice work - they all look great!

luvmykid28
11-21-2009, 02:12 AM
Nice!!!:woot: :woot: :woot:

ArtLady1981
11-21-2009, 04:02 AM
You've been busy! Your needles must be hot! Great job!

knitfan
11-22-2009, 11:00 PM
very nice things and so wonderful that you make them to give to those who really need them-it makes such a difference to know someone cares enough to do that.