PDA

View Full Version : Beginners Cowl?

Hsiaokuo62
12-18-2009, 09:07 AM
Looking for a cowl pattern suitable as a first project for my daughter. I am in the middle of a move or I would play around and come up with one - she is on the other side of the country and has caught the knitting bug :woohoo:
I'm thinking circular needles, plain k st to create a stockinette tube. So just needing something that says how many sts to cast on for worsted wt.

Thanks y'all!

Mirl56
12-18-2009, 10:26 AM
I looked at a couple patterns and w/worsted weight most of them cast on 100 stitches.

If the whole thing is knit in stockinette, the top and bottom edges will curl, but for a cowl that will probably be cute. You could do it in garter stitch if you didn't want it to curl.

suzeeq
12-18-2009, 11:04 AM
It depends how big you want it. For one that's close to the neck, 100 sts sounds about right. For one that you can loop around twice and/or pull part of it up like a hood, you'd need twice that.

etoilechaude
12-19-2009, 05:05 AM
I created a stockinette st cowl with with a traveling line pattern once... I LOVED the pattern, but the lack of edging made it curl so much that the pattern was just lost and my 11inches of knitting curled up into a fancy wool hotdog. I would highly suggest ribbing for the edge... especially if she wants to wear it ;o)