PDA

View Full Version : FO: Baby Sheep Hat

laikabear
12-30-2009, 02:37 PM
This is the Baby Sheep hat by Melissa Burt, a free pattern.

I used Knitpicks Crayon for the grass and sheep (the black parts are duplicate stitch), and Bernat baby acrylic for the sky. Made for a vegan friend, otherwise I would have used wool.

Crayon is the worst! I couldn't really see the stitches to do the duplicate stitch. Also, I got very uneven tension on the Fair Isle rows. I wasn't sure if I even wanted to gift something with such poor knitting, but it is cute and a couple people who saw it said I should still give it to my pregnant friend. We'll see if it even fits her baby - it was supposed to be newborn sized, but mine seems bigger.

fluffybunny
12-30-2009, 02:47 PM
Geez, Vegans don't even use the fiber that the sheep is much better off without? My view is, if you aren't killing it or hurting the animal in any way, and in the case of fiber animals you are *helping* them, not hurting them at all when you shear them ----- It is perfectly moral to use the stuff they're gonna shed anyway.
Donna

(very cute hat, btw!)

Jan in CA
12-30-2009, 02:53 PM
Awwww! It's adorable! And it's okay if it's a little big he/she can wear it when it fits. :thumbsup:

laikabear
12-30-2009, 03:02 PM
It's not the shearing, it's what happens to the sheep when they are no longer useful for producing wool (ie they are slaughtered and go into the food chain). I'm at the point where I am willing to live with that, as long as I'm not eating the sheep. But my friend isn't.

knitfan
12-30-2009, 06:19 PM
LOVE THIS!!!

WandaT
12-30-2009, 06:45 PM
It's adorable!!

JudyD
12-30-2009, 06:47 PM
That hat is just too cute for words!

:cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Judy

ArtLady1981
12-30-2009, 08:48 PM
Ahhhhh, this is so darn cute! Too cute for words!!! Love it!

Jen17
12-30-2009, 09:29 PM
it's adorable! I'm sure she will love it!

Can you post the link to the pattern, please!!??

Jen:knitting:

MerigoldinWA
12-31-2009, 02:00 AM
What a cute hat! It will be so cute on that everyone will love it.

laikabear
12-31-2009, 11:36 AM
The pattern is Baby Sheep Hat by Melissa Burt (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/baby-sheep-hat). It was based on a cardigan by Jennifer Little (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/show/sheep-yoke-baby-cardigan).

I might do the cardigan one day, but the hat was my first stranded knitting. Also, without using wool, I really don't feel that the ends are very secure. I wove (weaved?) them in for an inch or so, but I worry they'll work their way out, especially on something for someone with curious fingers... I have an afghan I made out of acrylic that has color stripes, and I've noticed a couple ends coming free, and I know it gets treated gently in my own house. I'm not sure a non-knitter would know what to do if something started to unravel. :(

I might save the cardigan for someone who doesn't mind things made of wool!

Jan in CA
12-31-2009, 11:43 AM
I've made a lot of stuff out of acrylic and cotton and I've never had the ends work their way out. I usually weave them in and then back on them self and it seems to work fine.

melmac51
12-31-2009, 12:06 PM
That little cap is adorable. What do you mean poor knitting??? It looks perfect to me. :yay:

MesaVerde
12-31-2009, 04:27 PM
I'm kinda confused where Angora yarn comes from. I know its from rabbits, but do they just shave the little bunnies, or is it somewhat nessicary like with sheep? But I love that hat! Really really cute!

Slim
12-31-2009, 07:45 PM
That is such a sweet hat! I'm sure your friend will appreciate it.