PDA

View Full Version : What do You Do When You're Sick of a Project?

Arielluria
01-08-2010, 01:11 AM
I started the Mason Dixon mitered square blanket and frankly I just don't have any interest in it. Have about 17 squares done (about 1/4 of what I intended to do) and I think I just want to get rid of it, but frogging doesn't seem an option, all the little lengths of yarn wouldn't be good for much. Any ideas?

Jan in CA
01-08-2010, 01:20 AM
Maybe you could use the squares you have for something smaller. Like a bag. This one uses 17 squares. If they are larger than these you can adapt them for some kind of bag maybe.
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/ishi/garter-stripe-square-bag

Otherwise just keep them and maybe someday you'll decided you want to continue. Or toss them. :teehee: I'd probably go for the bag.

WandaT
01-08-2010, 09:51 AM
I was there recently. I started this Lumberjack Flannelghan back in the fall for my Dad's birthday. I was SO excited about it when I started it. Fast forward - it quickly got VERY boring. It's a crochet pattern I decided to knit - in stockinette no less. There are seven strips with 7 blocks of color, so lots of ends to weave in and those strips curled like crazy. Plus it's double strand on size 11's with worsted weight. I quickly found I really didn't enjoy this project and kept starting others that were much more fun. I kept telling myself I would pick the afghan up in between and work on it a little bit - I didn't. My Dad's birthday was Jan 5. I didn't pick up the afghan again until Dec 30 I think. I had three strips done which still left me four strips, then sewing them together and the border. For this particular project I made myself complete it. (BTW it did turn out wonderful - but I won't be doing another one.)

Other projects I've started and got bored with, I've discarded. For the most part I want to enjoy my knitting. It's my therapy and wind down time. So it really depends on the project for me. If you're only 1/4 of the way through it and you hate working on it, I'd try using those squares for a smaller project like Jan said or toss them and move on to something that excites you!

trvvn5
01-08-2010, 10:14 AM
Put it down. Stuff it in a drawer. Cry softly. Find it in 3 years and go, "OMG, I totally forgot about you." Finish it and love it.

AngelaR
01-08-2010, 11:56 AM
I'm with Trvvn on this one, as I've done it with more than one project... and explains why it's taken me nearly 3 years to complete the throw from y living room sofa... garter stitch is easy, but boring as all get out.

catwitch
01-08-2010, 01:28 PM
I have a box for my unfinished projects. They remain out of site for long periods of time. I go in the box from time to time and look. For instance, recently I found a half completed "Fetching", I was not as experienced when I started it and now I am crazy for armwarmers again! And sometimes I need a project for a plane or car ride. I make myself look in the box because those projects are already started and I am forced to work on them. Also, just looking on Ravelry at certain projects motivates me to get back to them. If I think I will like the finished project, I usually get remotivated at a different time in the future.

Jeremy
01-08-2010, 01:54 PM
Unless you do this professionally, this is supposed to be fun. Put it down and start something else. I started a sweater over a year ago, got sick of it or wanted to work on something else. In December it regained its charm and I'm working on it again.

Arielluria
01-08-2010, 08:35 PM
Thanks all, I like the idea to use it for a bag, maybe a really big for knitting/messenger bag-like.

I'm a little OCD'ish, especially when it comes to work I start, I feel like a total loser for giving up on things :].........so having it in a drawer for years won't work for me. It'll just be like a little demon on my shoulder saying "gee aren't YOU a loser! Coun't hack it eh?!?" LOL!!!!!!!!!:shock:

rwd1105
01-08-2010, 09:19 PM
I normally find a way to turn into something else, that I can finish faster

Mike
01-09-2010, 12:19 PM
Put it down. Stuff it in a drawer. Cry softly. Find it in 3 years and go, "OMG, I totally forgot about you." Finish it and love it.

That.
Although I wouldn't wait 3 years.

Don't forget to put the pattern and notes (needle size, yarn, etc) with it. Because if it does end up being 3 years you won't remember where the pattern went, what needles or yarn you used.

offgridgirl
01-09-2010, 10:02 PM
Yes I second, finding something that you could make with what you have knitted already. :cheering:
The few projects that I have been "given" I usually take apart and re-make into something else.:rofl:

ArtLady1981
01-10-2010, 01:20 AM
Dig in, and keep working on it! It's always a WIP, never a UFO!

Krafty
01-10-2010, 08:02 PM
Been there done that – my attitude is that the act of knitting is therapy. Just handling the wool is calming. When I was disillusioned with the 250 sts 200 grams done afghan, I put it aside until I wanted a mindless task. Then I used the frog stitch to finish it. Rip-it rip-it. LOL The job of unraveling, washing and re-balling in itself is rewarding. If the project is lots of squares, make a crib blanket and give it to the thrift store. Knit baby booties with short bits. There’s always a charity that needs them. In other words – make lemonade. Don’t sweat it.