PDA

View Full Version : 1956 Irish Cable Coat

OldSkool
01-21-2010, 04:18 PM
I think I'm ready to progress beyond hats and socks and now I want to try something a bit more challenging. So I'm going ovaries deep and am going to attempt this 1956 Irish Cable Coat for my mom's birthday (which is in Nov). I bought the pattern yesterday and am waiting for my next paycheck to buy the "summer color" yarn. I'm thinking a mauve color. It's going to be tough working on it while skool is in session, but things should fly by during the summer. Woo!

ArtLady1981
01-21-2010, 06:40 PM
That is a really cute coat! It looks very easy, too! Nothing complicated about the construction! Just be sure to have a good system of keeping track of the repeats within the charts across the rows! (I'm assuming the pattern provides charts, not word-for-word, line-by-line written instructions)

Fabulous design! Mauve is a soft color, and if she likes mauve, great choice!
Another idea for a summery color is cream. It's versatile, and never dated.

OldSkool
01-21-2010, 10:57 PM
That is a really cute coat! It looks very easy, too! Nothing complicated about the construction! Just be sure to have a good system of keeping track of the repeats within the charts across the rows! (I'm assuming the pattern provides charts, not word-for-word, line-by-line written instructions)

Fabulous design! Mauve is a soft color, and if she likes mauve, great choice! Another idea for a summery color is cream. It's versatile, and never dated.

I'm ready! Thanks for the heads up about the organizational aspect! Cream, eh? I'll ask her!

meowmeowmeow
01-22-2010, 01:26 AM
That is one classy coat, for sure :)

Can't go wrong with vintage.

Edit: And for the color I'd definitely have to agree with cream instead.Creams, greys, blacks and reds(though not neutral) are great for matching with everything.I don't think I'd ever get too specific a color like mauve, but then again...your mom could have a ton of stuff to match.My "neutral" is green...but I dress like a crayon box XD

evona
01-22-2010, 07:49 PM
That looks like a great pattern. I can't wait to see your FO. I agree with meowmeowmeow about colors. At least for me :teehee: May I ask where you purchased the pattern? I think I would love to add it to my "to do someday in the next decade" list :roflhard:

OldSkool
01-23-2010, 01:29 AM
You guys are starting to talk me into the cream. I forgot to ask my mom today, but I'll let you know what her final decision is.
@evona, I got the pattern off of an ebay site (it was easier to find vintage patterns there). Here's the link (if it doesn't work, let me know): http://cgi.ebay.com/1956-Irish-Cable-Coat-Vintage-Knitting-Pattern-405_W0QQitemZ350259795829QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item518d1c5775
The store name is "Annalaia" and it's located in Spain.

bambi
01-23-2010, 08:36 PM
Pretty, pretty, pretty! Can't wait to see the WIP and FO. Cream is a fabulous choice.

etoilechaude
01-24-2010, 12:09 AM
I can't wait to see it!!! And hopefully one day I'll get to see it in person too... if we ever end up at the same shop at the same time hehe :o)

OldSkool
01-24-2010, 02:35 AM
Dude, I'll be hunting you down to help me on this because I know I'm gonna get lost at one point! So you better "accidentally" walk into the same store as me and help me out, Yoda!

etoilechaude
01-24-2010, 05:48 AM
Sahweet! :oD I'd be freaking happy as an otter to help you on this!!! :o)

borealowl
01-24-2010, 04:53 PM
Your coat will be absolutely beautiful. Perhaps a wool/cotton blend or even linen mix if it's a light coat? I would definitely check with your mother on the color if it's not going to be a surprise if you don't want to spend time on something she doesn't wear. The mauve would be beautiful but does it work with her clothes? Beautiful but not practical.

offgridgirl
01-24-2010, 09:20 PM
Wow that is a challenging pattern.....Light color will look smashing!!:yay:

WandaT
01-25-2010, 10:42 AM
Absolutely gorgeous!!! I would vote for cream as well. ;)

mamapaulsel
02-01-2010, 08:20 PM
Beautiful coat pattern, I can't wait to see the finished product. Whatever color you choose, make sure that it compliments her skin tones as well as her wardrobe. I always seem to stick with certain colors even though they don't always go with my skin tone. Have fun knitting :knitting: