PDA

View Full Version : Wrong adaptation

XxavoOo
01-22-2010, 10:59 PM
I've been knitting an earflap hat, following an extremely easy pattern (it's stockinette for a bunch of rows, then decreases) on 3.5mm dpns. I got to the bind off and decided to do kitchener st on the sts (I didn't want to turn on the computer to check what to do). When I finished, I saw that the hat was all folded: the grafting had pulled the knitting and tightened it. Once I tried it on, I saw that it was EXTREMELY big (if it didn't have decreases it was sweater size). :frog:

So I undid it and am beginning from scratch. This time, it looks too small. But I've decided that it's very stretchy, so I'll just go on and do a better BO.

This is what happens to me for adapting a pattern to smaller needles so quickly. The other time (while knitting a shawl), a similar thing occurred, and my shawl's sizes didn't follow at all the pattern's. I now promise myself to get the exact gauge of what I'm knitting before doing anything.

ArtLady1981
01-23-2010, 05:36 AM
Knitting isn't a destination, it's a journey! Sounds like your "journey" is very colorful and that you are learning a lot from trial and error!

Thanks for posting! I've been down the same knitting path! It's nice to have company on the journey!

AngelaR
01-23-2010, 11:25 AM
To continue ArtLady's motif, it sounds like you went down a very interesting road.

borealowl
01-25-2010, 09:08 PM
I made a beautiful blue sweater that could be a nightgown - all because I messed up on the guage. It is a pain but you've got to check it!

ArtLady1981
01-29-2010, 07:56 PM
So I undid it and am beginning from scratch. This time, it looks too small. But I've decided that it's very stretchy, so I'll just go on and do a better BO.

How is it coming along this time??? :happydance: