PDA

View Full Version : Finally! Organized...

ArtLady1981
01-27-2010, 05:54 PM
Hi!

Well I spent 7 hours last Saturday tearing up my Art Studio to include my knitting stuff with a semblance of organization! The north wall of my art studio is now dedicated to my books, magazines, binders, and small knitted items, such as my hats and scarves!

I bought these 4 bookcases at Fred Meyer. No assembly.
Not too expensive. They will fold flat for storage or transporting.

Far left bookcase:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2730/4309423629_1c7463d423.jpg

Middle two bookcases:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4016/4309422391_e84936ccce.jpg

Far right bookcase:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4070/4309423047_0a416db57b.jpg

I shoulda taken a "Before" photo! But it would have been embarrassing! :eyes:

sakura-panda
01-27-2010, 06:04 PM
Wow! It must feel good to have that all sorted out and organized. :happydance:

mathwizard
01-27-2010, 06:07 PM
I like it!! I am in the process of doing the same but I think it will take me longer because I have textbooks(math) as well as my knitting/crochet/sewing( all kinds), desk, and more. My room is an office as well as a craft/sewing and more. I figure I will be done sometime this summer, lol!:cheering:

ArtLady1981
01-27-2010, 06:31 PM
I also have a Coleman camp chair in there (it has a side table that pops up).
So I can sit with a cup of coffee, and rummage my books, binders and magazines in peace!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51J3DCVEMSL._AA280_.jpg
It's not gorgeous, but it folds up, AND it is really comfortable. It supports my back just right! I got mine at Fred Meyer when they run their camping equipment sales! But it is also for sale (http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Portable-Chair-Table-Charcoal/dp/B0009PUPTM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1264631340&sr=8-1) at Amazon.com!

Mine is tan canvas, not gray.

zkimom
01-27-2010, 07:11 PM
Artlady,

You are my hero and an inspiration. :notworthy:

PinkRoses
01-27-2010, 08:24 PM
Wow! I love it! Good job! :woohoo:

treegardner
01-27-2010, 08:25 PM
:woohoo: Looks great!

PinkRoses
01-27-2010, 08:26 PM
I esp. love all the scarfs. I have so many and eveyone keeps asking why I make so many. I think they're a great project. :heart:

ArtLady1981
01-27-2010, 08:29 PM
I esp. love all the scarfs. I have so many and eveyone keeps asking why I make so many. I think they're a great project. :heart:

I've fallen head-over-heels for scarves and hats! :heart:
A girl just can't own enough hats, scarves, shoes and bags, can she? :wink:

Doodknitwit
01-27-2010, 10:31 PM
:happydance: :yay: :blooby: :waving:

good job! now you can sit & knit guiltfree

Jan in CA
01-28-2010, 01:49 AM
Holy moly...you have a lot of knitting books! It looks great though! I my stuff half organized now. Need to get back to that. :teehee: I don't use the hanging thing anymore and the books are not knitting related. Just my paperbacks.

Debkcs
01-28-2010, 02:12 AM
Both of you have great storage!

On the floor to my left, at the moment, are all my knitting and crochet books (well, most of them) waiting to be put on my library page on Ravelry. Actually had two copies of the book 2-at-a-time-socks. Posted the second one on PBS, so I can get a credit for it; but did I know? No . . . had a bunch of stuff that was hidden.

My room is crammed full of books, sewing, yarn . . . all the neccesities of life.

ArtLady1981
01-28-2010, 02:17 AM
That looks so nice, Jan! Very nice indeed!

meowmeowmeow
01-28-2010, 02:37 AM
*drool*
*points to self* We have an organizational freak over here :woot:

I love how the random books on the ends are the perfect size to work as bookends.My reference section was that nice before my bf took the book holding it all together T_T

I really need to make the trip down to Ikea(rofl, it's a block away) to find some baskets to put up on my shelf and hold my LPs.I'm getting Toots & the Maytals 54-46 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhjBiZSfM08) and I really don't want that thing just laying around....with my cat....who has claws....I almost cried when I found Jefferson Airplane's Surrealistic Pillow (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIkoSPqjaU4) at the thrift store for 99 cents.I don't know how I'd react to that getting scratched O_O

Ahh...I can see them now all organized into "classical/metal", "punk/reggae" and "just plain weird" categories.

ArtLady1981
01-28-2010, 02:39 AM
:roflhard: meowmeow, you are too funny! :hug:

marypat
01-28-2010, 01:58 PM
Jan, that looks great! I got my needles and patterns all organized, but still have lots to do!

Jan in CA
01-28-2010, 02:08 PM
I just remembered...one thing I did recently was to get a 2 drawer file cabinet. It's wood and DH painted it to match the Ikea shelves. Now all my loose patterns are organized! :cheering:

I really like those folding shelves you got, Dollyce. That was a great idea. They have tall ones as well if you ever want to add more space. :lol:

AngelaR
01-28-2010, 02:58 PM
WOW! Right now I am going through my book cases and putting books I've got on my Kindle into boxes for the local library. I don't dare put up a picture of my desk right now. The stacks of books, magazines, and yarn are mind boggling from just a physics standpoint.

Jan in CA
01-28-2010, 05:11 PM
How on earth do you give books you have on Kindle to the local library?? :??

MerigoldinWA
01-28-2010, 05:25 PM
People like you make me sick. :lol: You do realize I'm kidding don't you? Wonderful idea and a good job of it, but this level of organization just isn't going to happen in my life. :oops:

Lisa R.
01-28-2010, 05:33 PM

I think she means that she has them on her Kindle, and also has a physical copy. I think she's donating the duplicate physical books to the library.

ArtLady1981
01-28-2010, 06:20 PM
I really like those folding shelves you got, Dollyce. That was a great idea. They have tall ones as well if you ever want to add more space. :lol:

Believe it or not, these bookcases have 'stackability'. You can stack one on top of another. There are holes on the tops of the bookcases that another pieces fits into...then you can mount one one top of another using that 'connector'.

I didn't because I'm so short...and don't like to climb...but also for safety. We'd have to 'secure' the bookcase to the wall.

But thanks for the info, Jan! I didn't see 'taller' ones at our Fred Meyer. I also purchased 2 bookcases that weren't as wide, but the same height. Fred Meyer was having a sale: buy two-get one free! (mix or match) Well I'm a sucker for a sale. Our Fred Meyer also had "corner units" too. Same height. Very useful for unusual places!

ArtLady1981
01-28-2010, 06:22 PM

She means that since she's downloaded the book's contents to her Kindle...there is no longer any reason for her to keep a hard copy on hand.

Kinda like having a DVD movie downloaded to your computer...you may think about getting rid of the actual DVD to save space. :thumbsup:

Edited to add:
And, now I see that LisaR gave the absolute right answer! Sorry for duplicating what you already said so well, Lisa! Didn't mean to overtalk on your answer! You were right on!

Jan in CA
01-28-2010, 08:14 PM
Ohhhh okay, that makes sense. I couldn't figure out how you'd get the copy from kindle into book form. :lol: I have Kindle (and a book called Casting Off by Nicole R. Dickson) on my iPod Touch. Love having it there!

Oh that's good to know, Dollyce. I didn't realize they could be stacked. I'm only 5.3" so I know about being short, too. My extra 3" don't do me any good either. :teehee: My shelves are from Ikea..the whole room is Ikea including my computer desk actually. ;)

ArtLady1981
01-29-2010, 04:29 AM
I love Ikea stuff, I hate assembling Ikea stuff!

These Fred Meyer bookshelves are all assembled, and hinged, so that (to put away) the shelves themselves can be raised in the vertical position, the sides fold forward to the center, and the entire thing can be laid flat under your bed!

WandaT
01-29-2010, 08:39 AM
Jan and Dollyce both - great jobs!!! Doesn't it feel awesome to have it organized like that and know that if you're looking for something specific you can put your hands right on it? I need something like that. Will have to look into those shelves.

ArtLady1981
01-30-2010, 06:40 PM
...Doesn't it feel awesome to have it organized like that and know that if you're looking for something specific you can put your hands right on it?...

I feel 1,000 lbs lighter! If you could have seen the disarray in there BEFORE this!

Organizing books, magazines and binders is really a challenge. When I joined Rav and finally GOT WITH IT...it was so nice to get my yarns organized. Photos, data, etc!

I look forward to the day when my art studio is ALL KNITTING: yarn, books, mags and binders and all! At this time, half of my yarns are in a Home Depot yarn closet, and half are in a big wicker trunk. I'd love to bring it all together into one dedicated KNITTING SHOP-ROOM!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3594/3357004374_028d3aa017_m.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3612/3357003774_77cb861cf0_m.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3586/3357003022_a32b77de40_m.jpg

Rosey2376
01-30-2010, 07:23 PM
There must be something in the air!

Spent all of last weekend sorting stuff. Not knitting stuff, but other detritus. Eventually freed up an under bed box for my yarn, so now its in colour order :happydance:

And got a folder for my patterns. Thought 20 pockets would last ages, didn't realise I had that many, its nearly full !!!

What I love more than knitting (is that possible?), and talking about knitting is ORGANISING :woohoo:

crocee
01-30-2010, 08:41 PM
Organizing:?? :hiding: What foreign country is that strange word from? If my house were organized I think the walls would fall in from shock.:roflhard:

BarbieL
01-31-2010, 12:18 AM
Really nice set up!

meowmeowmeow
01-31-2010, 12:47 AM
What I love more than knitting (is that possible?), and talking about knitting is ORGANISING :woohoo:

LOL! I'm the type of person who will see a messy room and offer to come over and sort it with you later. I love re-tetris-ing a room for better traffic flow.I reorganize the living room about once every other month :teehee:

Just yesterday my bf and I moved the bed against the wall, moved the floating nightstand,my typewriter stuff(<3333),his bass guitar and some storage stuff to a different place to make room for a *dun duh da DA!* sewing desk:woot: :woot: :woot: And somehow there is more room in here than before.I'm telling you, re-tetris-ing.

In a couple days we're going to basically raid every thrift store we know exists like mad people in search of such a desk to fill the new void and a nice trunk like the one I keep my yarn in for spare blankets to place at the foot of the bed.Ah, I love thrift stores.

Sknitter56
01-31-2010, 06:10 PM
You all have inspired me. I sat down with my wooden spools and made this organizer a little while ago. Now, I have an idea of what circs I have. I have more, but they are too big to fit through the holes of the spools, so I'll have to drill them out some.

ArtLady1981
01-31-2010, 07:56 PM
You all have inspired me. I sat down with my wooden spools and made this organizer a little while ago. Now, I have an idea of what circs I have. I have more, but they are too big to fit through the holes of the spools, so I'll have to drill them out some.

Wonderful idea! spools! who woulda thought of it! Thanks for the photo!

laikabear
01-31-2010, 08:43 PM
Wow you guys are so organized!

I have my stash in Rubbermaids so I can't actually look at it unless I haul them out. :(

I have 2 bookshelves from Ikea I need to assemble. My latest book purchases have put my current bookshelves over their limit!

Sknitter56
01-31-2010, 09:22 PM
Here's the website I found in case you're interested. This only took about 15 minutes to do.
http://www.cutoutandkeep.net/projects/circular_needle_holder

Jan in CA
01-31-2010, 11:55 PM
I have 2 bookshelves from Ikea I need to assemble. My latest book purchases have put my current bookshelves over their limit!

What I like about the Ikea ones (if they are the same as mine) is that you can get doors for them. It helps keep your stash clean and it looks so pretty and colorful through the glass doors.:thumbsup:

ArtLady1981
02-01-2010, 02:18 AM
Here's the website I found in case you're interested. This only took about 15 minutes to do.
http://www.cutoutandkeep.net/projects/circular_needle_holder

That is just so darn cool! Love it! :thumbsup:

melmac51
02-02-2010, 12:07 PM
You organizers are inspiring me! Your rooms (and spools) look beautiful!! I want to leave work right now, go home and start attacking my "craft room"!

...and Meowmeow, I think you and my DH are "astral twins". He has an LP Album collection that he probably started when he was 10 years old. He's 55 now, so you can only imagine. (Literally hundreds of albums!!) They're arranged in alphabetical order by artist, and when he has more than one by the same artist, they are arranged chronologically by year. We've had several floods, so some of the album covers (and art) have been lost, but he found some 12" x 12" manilla envelopes, and made his own (minus the art of course, but still a protective sleeve.). He has everything from rock, blues, 80's music, etc.

I had to laugh at your "re-tetrising". I can totally relate! :rofl:

meowmeowmeow
02-03-2010, 11:29 AM
...and Meowmeow, I think you and my DH are "astral twins". He has an LP Album collection that he probably started when he was 10 years old. He's 55 now, so you can only imagine. (Literally hundreds of albums!!)

:O I almost wish I could jump to age 55 just to know what my LP collection would be like then.I just started sometime before Thanksgiving.

I have neighbors that listen to really loud rap so I have to counter that with really loud -what I call-"good music". They are probably ridiculously confused at this point as my "good music" can be anything from punk to reggae to metal to classical and opera.I can say with complete confidence that no one else in this neighborhood has Wagner records :teehee: *ahem* or secretly conducts along to the songs when no one is looking >_>

I had to laugh at your "re-tetrising". I can totally relate! :rofl:

How much more of a nerd does it make me if I admit to singing the song while I rearrange...every time? :roflhard: