PDA

View Full Version : Gauge help for mitten pattern

Knitting292009
02-09-2010, 01:32 PM
Hello. I have a pattern for mittens. Here is the link
http://www.straw.com/cpy/patterns2/accessories/lofty-mittens.html

I haven't used the yarn it asks for because I'd have to order it and it doesn't come in the color I wanted. I bought patons classic wool and it worked fine but the cold air just went through them and I can actually see parts of my hand through them. I used a size 9 double point needles and gauge was fine, but trying to find another substitute yarn and don't know what to go with. I don't understand those gauge labels on the yarn. I just thought you buy whatever goes with the gauge. I mean the gauge calls for 4 sts in stockinette to equal 1 inch and I'm getting that. Can someone help me with suggestions to yarn or stepping down or up in needle size. I'm so confused:???:

suzeeq
02-09-2010, 08:14 PM
The yarn in the pattern is actually a bulky one that you'd normally knit on size 10 needles. So going down to a 9 with it would squish the stitches together and be very dense. You can try size 6 or 7 needles with the patons yarn and either make the larger size, or add a few more sts. In the pattern where it says - Next Rnd: k13(15), m1, k6(7), m1, k7, m1, k6(7), m1. [36 (40) sts] If you add 4 more sts and knit that round a k17, m1, k8, m1, k8, m1, that may make it large enough. For the other rows, wherever it shows k13(15), you're going to k17, and wherever it's p1(2) you'll p3 instead, that will keep the cable in the right place.

Many times you can get the same gauge on the same needle using various yarn weights; it just that the thinner yarn will make a thinner (flatter) piece and the heavier yarn will be denser and thicker.

Abby123
02-11-2010, 11:11 PM
I like patons classic wool alot. It is inexpensive, goes on sale at the craft stores & is readily available. So I often use it for hats & scarfs. I have knit it on size #6, #7 & #8 needles. It does shrink some when you wash it.
I agree with suzeeq, make the larger size mitten on a smaller needle &/or increase the width of the cables. I'm into functional knits. Mittens need to keep you warm.