PDA

View Full Version : OT: Kindle or Nook?

Belphoebe
02-21-2010, 06:58 PM
Has anyone researched the differences? I saw a Nook in person today and found it interesting. I have yet to see a Kindle, but have read some about it. Anyone have either of these?

AngelaR
02-21-2010, 07:10 PM
My DH got me a Kindle for Christmas because I am a voracious reader, and even though our house has some built in bookshelves, we have books overflowing. I love it, and wish that some buttons were in better thought out places rather than down by the right hand corner, where you are more likely to grab than not. But, other than that, I absolutely adore my Kindle and my local library does as well as they've received scads of books I've been collecting electronic versions of for the past 5 or so years. Now I can put the e-books on my Kindle (now that my Palm PDA is dead but not forgotten) and send the dead tree versions to the library for others to enjoy.

Kindle's are also great for college students as most textbooks have an e-book version and they are way WAY cheaper than the dead tree editions, AND, if you are smart you will just grab a copy from someone else who took the course.

My husband is looking into the Sony e-reader for himself. We have several applications that allow us to convert DOC and PDF formats to the formats of just about any reader out there.

YarnCrazy
02-21-2010, 07:38 PM
I have a friend who has the Kindle and she seems to like it. I have the Sony e-Reader and LOVE it. If you like to read in bed, I would suggest getting one of the readers that has the backlight feature. I get to read in bed and not disturb my DH. Good luck choosing and enjoy.

zkimom
02-21-2010, 10:24 PM
I totally agree about the back light feature. I bought a Kindle for my Dad for his birthday and I think that is one feature it is lacking.

I use my Kindle app on my Ipod Touch all the time, especially in bed when my dh is asleep and couldn't do without the backlighting.

Jan in CA
02-22-2010, 01:28 AM
I also use the Kindle app on my iPod Touch and love it. :yay:

ArtLady1981
02-22-2010, 02:00 AM
Mason (Knitting_Guy) recommends the Sony Reader. He uses it and talks about it at length on his blog.

I'm still on the fence about an e-book reader, whatever the brand. If major knitting reference books were available as e-books...then I'd be pushed over the fence.

Anyone got knitting e-books?

I'm not a fiction reader. Just non-fiction: history, travel, biography, autobiography, technical books, and other reference books.

How would one find out if knitting reference books are available as an e-book? Would the Barnes and Noble website give the e-book as an option at checkout?

I'd just die to have all of Nicky Epstein's "Edge" books in an e-book reader. But many of the great finishing books, etc. Wherever I travel, I'd always have a reference handy!

Debkcs
02-22-2010, 02:52 AM
I've got Kindle on my iPhone, and use it daily. Reference books that I'll keep, and cook books, etc. I still buy as hard backs, and give them no thought as being "dead tree books" :zombie:

http://www.tappi.org/paperu/all_about_paper/faq.htm
Over half of the raw material used to make paper in the U.S. comes from recovered paper and the wood waste (such as wood chips and sawdust) left behind from lumber manufacturing.

Back to the Kindle, my only regret is that when I read a good book on my iPhone, it can't be shared with my husband. I'm also not sure of how condensed from a 'Kindle Version' or from any other electronic handheld source.

ArtLady1981
02-22-2010, 04:52 AM
Oh...so Kindle is a phone app? I thought it was a tablet thing, like Nook and the Sony Reader.

Belphoebe
02-22-2010, 09:18 AM
It is both. You can get a Kindle on its own, and also as an application on an iPhone or iPod touch.

AngelaR
02-22-2010, 12:14 PM
My husband DLed the Kindle for his Crackberry, we also have Kindle for our PCs and a drive in the home server dedicated to just e-books.

I bought Knitting The Old Way yesterday for my Kindle and the ONLY thing I don't like is no color. The back light thing would be a nuisance IMHO because it would make it nearly impossible to read from during the day (because of how the screens are made) and I have a clip on light to use if I want to read at night. According to my ophthalmologist, back lighting from computer screens causes the most eye strain. I chose the Kindle based on that as I have enough trouble with getting older and reading as it is.

I'm waiting for my husband's birthday in April to get him the Sony reader. We're very much a contrast and compare couple when it comes to tech gadgets, which explains the 7 different laptops in our house and homemade PCs. The only thing I have a single one of is my PDA. The husband wants me to get a Treo or iPhone now so he can play with it. I told him I never USE my stupid cell phone and I'm not getting HIM a new toy to play with. So the Sony e-reader should be the perfect surprise.

N0obKnitter
02-22-2010, 01:38 PM
The guy that sat beside me on the flight from PDX to DIA was using a Kindle, seemed an interesting gadget, but, I'm old school and I like reading on actual paper. I could see its usefulness with textbooks, though, my college textbooks weigh a gazillion pounds.

Jan in CA
02-22-2010, 02:15 PM
I have a knitting friend that has the Kindle (not iPhone or computer version) and her main complaint is that it's not in color so if a book has photos it's an issue. I'm not sure if they show in b/w or not at all.

Dollyce you can search for Kindle books on Amazon. there are a lot of them, but keep what I said above in mind.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_8?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-text&field-keywords=knitting+books+on+kindle&sprefix=knitting

ArtLady1981
02-22-2010, 02:36 PM
I have a knitting friend that has the Kindle (not iPhone or computer version) and her main complaint is that it's not in color so if a book has photos it's an issue. I'm not sure if they show in b/w or not at all.

Dollyce you can search for Kindle books on Amazon. there are a lot of them, but keep what I said above in mind.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_8?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-text&field-keywords=knitting+books+on+kindle&sprefix=knitting

Thanks, Jan! The link took me to a page filled with Kindle Books with many knitting related books featured.

My next question: will these Amazon "kindle books" only work on Kindle readers! Can we download these "kindle books" for a Sony Reader, or a Nook?

Is this Kindle thing going to be another Blu-Ray/High Def battle of the fittest! Remember the struggle between Blu-Ray and High Definition players? Hollywood finally decided High Definition is OUT, and Blu-Ray is IN.

I have a High Definition movie that won't play in anything except a High Definition player.
Great. What a waste of money.

Blu-Ray movies and High Definition movies aren't playable/swappable in the other one's player. However, your regular DVD's can be played in a Blu-Ray or High Def player (the machine does actually upgrade the quality of a normal DVD)...but not vice versa.

It's a big money pit. :pout:

fourfeeto
02-22-2010, 02:37 PM
I have a Kindle and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it! I am a die-hard bibliophile and wondered how I'd do without the tactile experience of a paper book...I can tell you that is not even an issue! In my experience (and in chats with several other Kindle owners who all use it differently), I REALLY like the "E-Ink" display and the ability to choose the font size (and even number of words per line, if you want to...) I find it to be EXTREMELY eye-friendly in many lighting environments. I use the clip-on light when I want to read in bed. It is much, much friendlier and more versatile than a back-lit screen for eye fatigue.

The Kindle gives you the capability to download and read PDF files; one of my friends who is a knitter loves being able to download patterns! I'm just returning to knitting after a couple-year hiatus and haven't used that yet. Regarding books and patterns with pictures, the Kindle does show pictures, only they are in black & white. If color photos are something you would like, it doesn't have that ability yet. Again, the display quality is excellent.

Overall, I find the Kindle to be worth every penny: bazillions of free ebooks, less expensive new releases, great battery life, very nice "tactile" experience, great size (I have the Kindle 2--the DX, which is larger and substantially more expensive, would be even better if you plan to use it for things with heavy graphics, charts, etc.) As an add-on: I purchased a cover that is "vertical" (as opposed to opening like a traditional book); the cool thing is, I can stand my Kindle on the table like an easel when I want to be hands-free. I'm thinking that will be a great feature when I'm knitting!

I highly recommend this product! Hope this helps? (If you do decide to get one, give me a yell...I have some post-purchase tips and tricks that will enhance your experience with it! ) :woot:

Jan in CA
02-22-2010, 02:50 PM
I don't know the answer to your question Dollyce. I had heard of the Sony, but not the Nook so I just looked it up. Here's a comparison.
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/compare/?cds2Pid=30195

In just looking at this comparison I'd say Nook is the way to go, but I haven't actually seen either one yet. I think I'll take a look at them in the store. Click the 'try it in store' and see if it's in your store for a hand held test!

ETA: Another comparison/review
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/popup_cds2.asp?PID=32844

Also you can get a free app for iPhone/Touch, Blackberry, your computer here:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/ebooks/index.asp

AngelaR
02-23-2010, 09:03 PM
My only complaint (other than the placement of page advancement buttons) is that it's black and white only, but if we can send a man to the store to pick up carrots for the pot roast and he ACTUALLY brings back carrots, then dang it, we can have color on the Kindle eventually.

Do you know how hard it is to hide from your husband the VERY expensive gift you're buying him for his birthday? Who knew the snoop was reading the credit card statements online? I'm on a very strict yarn allowance now. http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs7/i/2006/002/f/9/_pout__by_Hexaditidom.png

Belphoebe
02-23-2010, 09:09 PM
Oh no! Sounds like someone I know too. It is very hard to be sneaky around some men.

sakura-panda
02-25-2010, 01:36 PM
Thanks, Jan! The link took me to a page filled with Kindle Books with many knitting related books featured.

My next question: will these Amazon "kindle books" only work on Kindle readers! Can we download these "kindle books" for a Sony Reader, or a Nook?

Is this Kindle thing going to be another Blu-Ray/High Def battle of the fittest! Remember the struggle between Blu-Ray and High Definition players? Hollywood finally decided High Definition is OUT, and Blu-Ray is IN.

I have a High Definition movie that won't play in anything except a High Definition player.
Great. What a waste of money.

Blu-Ray movies and High Definition movies aren't playable/swappable in the other one's player. However, your regular DVD's can be played in a Blu-Ray or High Def player (the machine does actually upgrade the quality of a normal DVD)...but not vice versa.

It's a big money pit. :pout:

I have the Sony Reader -- love it tons! :inlove:

Kindle books can only work on the Kindle. They are their own file type and they are DRMd by Amazon.

Adobe ePub is the "format of the future". Both Sony and B&N sell their books as ePubs (although because of DRM, they can not be shared between manufacturers.) There are ePubs available at other places that do not have the DRM and can be read by any ePub capable device; I imagine this includes the Kindle.

There is a way to remove the DRM but I don't know that much about it.

Like anything else, which one you choose really falls down to personal preference. There are ebook readers that are backlit, LCD and in color, but I prefer the black and white e-ink that uses less battery. I have a nice attached light to use for reading in the dark.

MobileRead and their forums is a good resource for ebooks and readers.

ArtLady1981
02-25-2010, 07:05 PM
Thanks for the information, Katie! Based on your post, I will be "passing" on any "e-reader" for now.
I'm in a sort of "protest mode". I protest the lack of versatility.

If I have a Sony Reader...but Amazon offers mainly Kindle books...I'm SOL.

I believe that all of these various e-reader companies could use the same technology, and that all e-books could be downloadable/readable in any reader.

I think it's a racket. I protest. :tap:

Maybe if I wait long enough...they'll come to an agreement.

Or maybe a 10th Generation Kindle book will be compatible with any e-book, not just Kindle books. :wink:

Belphoebe
02-25-2010, 08:23 PM
Yeah, I think I'll be waiting to see what happens next as well. They each have something missing. You are right ArtLady, too bad they can't all agree and make just one that is really nice.

Jan in CA
02-26-2010, 02:09 AM
It looked to me like the Nook had the best stuff going for it. It has more choices like digital lending and room for expansion on memory cards. It's both cellular and wifi enabled, ePub and eReader formats supported. I don't need one right now, but if I did I'd probably choose this one.

I don't think there will EVER be one perfect reader. :shrug:

Also.. iPad can be used a reader as well as it's other attributes. It's quite expensive though.

Knitting_Guy
02-27-2010, 01:40 AM
I could have sworn I already replied to this but somehow it seems I didn't.

I have two Sony readers, the PRS-300 Pocket Edition and the PRS-600 Touch Edition. I love them both.

I read a lot. The Sony readers will read just about any format out there. Using the Calibre software, which is available free from the web, pretty much anything can be converted to a readable format.

I do read a lot and these things save me a huge amount of space in my truck. The 600 accepts a flash card upgrade. I put a 4GB card in it and with that it will hold over 1,000 books. Imagine the space that would take up in the truck!

I have a few hundred books in my readers right now and haven't paid a dime for any of them as I was able to download them for free off the web in various formats. That alone has more than paid for the price of the readers.

ArtLady1981
02-27-2010, 11:49 PM
Your Sony Reader comments on your blog are what got me interested in an e-reader of any sort!

I want to purchase a versatile reader. Your Sony sounds like just the thing!

The I-pad is a reader, and in color, too...but it's a lot more than a reader, as the pricetag reflects. ($499) :pout:

AngelaR
02-28-2010, 11:24 AM
I got my hubby the pocket Sony Reader so he can take it along to work with him on those nights he's supervising others work and gets bored at the sites. He loves to read, it's finding the time. I hope this gift will help him in that pursuit... and, I am not even putting suggested reading on it before I give it to him. It's all his baby.

He wanted to load up my Kindle with books he wanted to read, none of which interested me, so I said No. Now, having two different types of readers plus Kindle for Blackberry and PC and the readers we used to use on our PDAs and Jukebox, we have many things we can read from no matter where we are.

Knitting_Guy
02-28-2010, 08:10 PM
Your Sony Reader comments on your blog are what got me interested in an e-reader of any sort!

I want to purchase a versatile reader. Your Sony sounds like just the thing!

The I-pad is a reader, and in color, too...but it's a lot more than a reader, as the pricetag reflects. ($499) :pout:

I think the I-Pad is just a lot of hype. From everything I've read it's over priced and while it seems to do a lot of things it doesn't do any of them very well. But that's based solely upon what I have read as I haven't actually had the chance to handle one. Yet.

theblackhen
03-01-2010, 08:49 AM
I have a Kindle but then I saw the Nook coming out and wondered if it were any better so I looked into it. It is not better and there are severe limitations on a lot of the selling points. Check out David Pogue in the Tech section of the NY Times. He has a couple of videos (the latest being most useful called, "I am Nook") that will clear things up and give you a good laugh. You can also find him on iTunes. You won't want a Nook after you get the true facts. See if this link gets you there.

http://video.nytimes.com/video/2009/12/10/technology/personaltech/1247466066592/i-am-nook.html?scp=4&sq=nook&st=Search

Jan in CA
03-01-2010, 01:44 PM
Very interesting, Blackhen... gotta love the fine print nobody ever sees. :doh:I'm sure there's some with Sony and Kindle, too. It pays to research for sure!

I do like the iPad..it has a lot of other useful features which appear to be similar to the iTouch which I have, but it's very pricey and as yet untested. I'd wait on that one if it appeals to anyone.

ArtLady1981
03-01-2010, 02:53 PM
Just out of curiosity, I checked prices.

Sony Reader PRS-900BC: $400
"New Generation" wireless Kindle: $489.
Apple I-pad: $499
Nook: $259

If KINDLE is already displaying 1st generation, next generation...I think it's gonna be like the i-pod was. As time passes, they will make such significant improvements that you'll cry if you own 1st generation.

Isn't there an i-pod they now call THE BRICK? :wink:

As far as I have seen so far, no one has color except the i-pad. But based on Mason's assessment,
it is best to wait on an i-pad until Apple irons out the 'kinks' in their latest creation.
It sounds like it's a lot of fuss 'n fan-danglery, with little functionality!

For example:
I'm glad I waited to get a new laptop, and didn't get my new laptop when VISTA-OS was brand new. Or worse, chicken out and get the XP-OS. After time passed, it was evident that you need at least 4GB memory for Vista to function nicely. I finally broke down and got a new laptop with VISTA but paid extra for 4GB memory. I've never had a bit of lag or trouble with VISTA. Thanks to all the folks who 'bush-whacked' a path for me!

becky77340
03-01-2010, 06:34 PM
I just invested in the Sony reader today! I found a great deal at Office Depot thay had the touch pad one for 279.00 on sale. I am looking for d/l for my new toy. I can't wait to try it out, it is charging at this very time. I really started comparing when I read this thread. Now on to start my library.........lol

Jan in CA
03-01-2010, 09:06 PM
Yep, Dollyce! I love Vista with my 4G of memory!

I have an iPod Touch so that is why the iPad may appeal to me. It's very similar and use my Touch ALL the time! I even read books on it although a larger screen would be nice. A reader sounds nice, but the extras sound cool to me. Maybe someday. :teehee:

ArtLady1981
03-01-2010, 10:52 PM
Yes, maybe someday!

I'm keeping my nose to the ground, as these e-readers develop!

I entered the i-pod world in November 2009, with the purchase of the 5th generation Nano i-Pod.
Or is it 6th generation? Anyway, the latest generation. :teehee:

I'm waiting to see if e-readers do the same thing. Get better and better, for less and less.

I'd really like color for an e-reader. Thin, lightweight, long-lasting battery, color-capable screen.
For under $250.

sakura-panda
03-03-2010, 04:14 PM
Thanks for the information, Katie! Based on your post, I will be "passing" on any "e-reader" for now.
I'm in a sort of "protest mode". I protest the lack of versatility.

If I have a Sony Reader...but Amazon offers mainly Kindle books...I'm SOL.

I believe that all of these various e-reader companies could use the same technology, and that all e-books could be downloadable/readable in any reader.

I think it's a racket. I protest. :tap:

Maybe if I wait long enough...they'll come to an agreement.

Or maybe a 10th Generation Kindle book will be compatible with any e-book, not just Kindle books. :wink:

The short version is there is software called "Calibre" that can convert ebooks to various formats, and there are several distributors that use it to make their books available in all formats. That is, they offer them that way upfront, so that you can choose which format to download.

You can't get multiple formats from any of the bookstores who also sell dedicated devices, of course, but other booksellers and authors do sell their books as many formats as they can create. Getting the book you want in the format you need -- if it is available as an ebook -- is not difficult.

I don't think that there are a lot of reference e-books available yet (including knitting ones) mainly because of the small screen size. I think the technology is coming -- when they can do textbooks, they should be able to do other reference books as well -- but right now I think it is only good for reading.

It would be so cool if they could offer pattern and other receipe books as ebooks anyway, since then you could call them up on a netbook or iPod Touch/iPad and have access to them that way. I think, though, that while the publishers are trying to come up with a uniform method to restrict copying and sharing, taking the time to create and offer those types of ebooks will not be a priority. :sad:

ArtLady1981
03-03-2010, 04:26 PM
Thanks for taking time to share that information, Sakura!

I'd read that one of the most useful aspects about an e-book was that college students could 'buy their textbooks' as e-books, thereby reducing the weight on their backs, and of course, reducing costs.

I'm going to enjoy watching the e-book phenomenon develop.

It's sure gonna hurt the Swamp Loggers, who mainly pull 'pulp logs' out of undesireable swampy areas! The mills are seriously cutting down on their orders.

Ah well, I do believe in saving a tree. Our natural resource (USA) won't last forever. Europe used to have an abundance of forest, but I saw a 'special' on TV that shows severely EU is deforested. A lot of Ameria is deforested already.

We're spoiled out here in the West. But the day could come...
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3365/3655827485_d1d0c633c7.jpg

sakura-panda
03-03-2010, 04:29 PM
Yes, maybe someday!

I'm keeping my nose to the ground, as these e-readers develop!

I entered the i-pod world in November 2009, with the purchase of the 5th generation Nano i-Pod.
Or is it 6th generation? Anyway, the latest generation. :teehee:

I'm waiting to see if e-readers do the same thing. Get better and better, for less and less.

I'd really like color for an e-reader. Thin, lightweight, long-lasting battery, color-capable screen.
For under $250.

I think that e-reader technology will be improving constantly and there isn't going to be a point where they stop developing. Look at the car -- over 100 years old and still there are a ton of new innovations! :lol:

The color technology isn't there yet and there are companies working on coming out with a color e-ink screen, but I don't read anything on my reader that would be made better with color. :shrug: The rest of your requirements are already out there. ;) (Sony has the Pocket Reader -- PRS300 -- for $200.)

Not that I'm pushing. :teehee: If you bought a Reader based on my recommendations, I'd probaby have to go out and buy a set of Addi Clicks to even the score! :roflhard:

I'm just very enthusiastic about my reader. I'm reading more than ever before and I'm reading longer books that I passed up before because I didn't want to carry the weight of them around with me.

Also, since I like to read several books simultaneously, I have them all with me together and can pick up whichever one I'm in the mood for at any time. (I have had as many as 200 books on my reader -- if I mix them right, there is always something on there that I'm in the mood to read.)

sakura-panda
03-03-2010, 04:35 PM
Thanks for taking time to share that information, Sakura!

I'd read that one of the most useful aspects about an e-book was that college students could 'buy their textbooks' as e-books, thereby reducing the weight on their backs, and of course, reducing costs.

I'm going to enjoy watching the e-book phenomenon develop.

It's sure gonna hurt the Swamp Loggers, who mainly pull 'pulp logs' out of undesireable swampy areas! The mills are seriously cutting down on their orders.

Ah well, I do believe in saving a tree. Our natural resource (USA) won't last forever. Europe used to have an abundance of forest, but I saw a 'special' on TV that shows severely EU is deforested. A lot of Ameria is deforested already.

We're spoiled out here in the West. But the day could come...

You're so kind! I'm afraid I'm going a little overboard. :blush:

I would have thought that the cardboard shipping box industry could take over where paper cuts back. Living in Michigan, in the heart of the auto industry, I can sympathize and am always sorry to see other industries that are forced to cut back due to lower demand. While it is good for the earth and the environment, it is still difficult to see companies falter and shut down. :pout:

Freyja
03-04-2010, 01:53 AM
Kindle you have to buy books from amazon
Sony, Nook, ipad you can check books out from your local library online
here is St. Louis Library (http://overdrive.slcl.org/71DBC069-6DC4-4612-A7E2-8340A4C48B49/10/380/en/default.htm) for an example.
For your mp3/ipod you can check out WMA/mp3 Audiobook
For your Sony, Nook, ipad you can check out Adobe PDF eBook

WandaT
03-04-2010, 09:41 AM
I definitely believe e-readers are the wave of the future. It's just much greener and such a space saver. I guess I'm rebelling for a couple of reasons. First since it IS digital and the cost of production is way cheaper than actually printing books, the prices don't reflect that. It's not that much cheaper to DL an e-book than buy the original. I don't get that. Second, whatever I get I need to be able to share with my daughter - I think some allow this and some don't. We buy books now and take turns reading them (and share with friends if they want to read them) - fiction books that is. I have to own my knitting reference books. For our fiction books we go to a second hand book store up the street and get them for 1/2 price of original value. Some we keep for our library and some we turn back in. So I guess I'm just waiting for the prices to come down and the kinks to be worked out. I know I'll eventually have one of some kind but for now I'm still turning paper pages.

ArtLady1981
03-04-2010, 03:34 PM
I definitely believe e-readers are the wave of the future. It's just much greener and such a space saver....So I guess I'm just waiting for the prices to come down and the kinks to be worked out.

I agree with you 100%.

Real books have the commissions and costs rolled in.
However, e-books have commissions and lower costs rolled in.
But the price of e-books doesn't seem to be THAT MUCH lower. I'm thinking...that the selling price of e-books will have MORE COMMISSION to spread around, and LESS cost expenditures, resulting in MORE PROFIT for their end than SAVINGS at our end.

In other words, I mean...maybe they are pushing e-books because they have doubled their profit by lowering their own cost outlay, but they don't have to pass all those savings on to the consumer.

EG: The Aviator
BOOK Retail Price: $30
Actual cost to print: $8
Profit: $22

E-Book Retail Price: $28
Actual cost to produce: 50 cents
Profit: $27.50

So even though they sell the e-book for less, they still make more profit from it's sale than the physical book.

Lisa R.
03-04-2010, 06:17 PM
I agree with you 100%.

Real books have the commissions and costs rolled in.
However, e-books have commissions and lower costs rolled in.
But the price of e-books doesn't seem to be THAT MUCH lower. I'm thinking...that the selling price of e-books will have MORE COMMISSION to spread around, and LESS cost expenditures, resulting in MORE PROFIT for their end than SAVINGS at our end.

In other words, I mean...maybe they are pushing e-books because they have doubled their profit by lowering their own cost outlay, but they don't have to pass all those savings on to the consumer.

EG: The Aviator
BOOK Retail Price: $30
Actual cost to print: $8
Profit: $22

E-Book Retail Price: $28
Actual cost to produce: 50 cents
Profit: $27.50

So even though they sell the e-book for less, they still make more profit from it's sale than the physical book.

Don't forget royalties for the author...they still need to get paid for their work, even if it's an e-text!

(But I totally agree it should be way cheaper to buy an e-book than a paper book--but then I think regular books are overpriced anyway...)

SBG
03-04-2010, 07:39 PM
I love my Kindle, but I've heard only good things about the Nook too. You're probably safe with either. That said, if you have a smartphone, you might try that first and save the money. I recently downloaded a free program called MobiPocket for my phone (and the Reader for the PC, to transfer books). it's great! I'm reading a book on my Blackberry right now. my mom uses the kindle app for her iPhone, but I like MobiPocket because I can read books I haven't bought through Amazon.

ArtLady1981
03-14-2010, 03:04 PM
I received an interesting email from Amazon yesterday: an invitation to download KINDLE for PC (and i-Phones, as well) Both apps are FREE.

I downloaded the KINDLE for PC (http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=pe_70030_14522080_as_img_3/?ie=UTF8&docId=1000426311) (very quick and painless), and within a couple minutes, I bought my first e-book! One quick click, it charged the cc I use for Amazon (Amex), and whoosh...the new book was in my Desktop Kindle Reader! (called Whispersync Beta Version)

It's very nice, and I'm reading this book with pleasure. It bookmarks my place, too!
I also downloaded a free book!

Jan in CA
03-14-2010, 03:21 PM
I received an interesting email from Amazon yesterday: an invitation to download KINDLE for PC (and i-Phones, as well) Both apps are FREE.

I have the app for my iPod Touch and like it. I don't want to sit at my desktop computer and read so I haven't gotten the computer one. I also have Stanza and Barnes and Noble (nook) apps. :lol:

addey411
03-14-2010, 05:30 PM
The nook has a larger screen compared to most kindles.I would recommend the kindle because it has a keypad and sounds much easier to work with.But if you can download it onto your i-phone or PC I sugggest you use that software.

TrikkeAddict
03-14-2010, 05:43 PM
My husband and I both have Kindles and we like them a lot - except that when it's gloomy out, like it was yesterday, the screen is hard to read. I ended up reading my book on my iPod Touch and my husband read his on his laptop using Kindle for PC. It was much easier reading on a device with a backlight. I'll be getting the Apple iPad in 3 weeks so I'll probably use that to read my Kindle books on.

ArtLady1981
03-15-2010, 08:06 AM
I have the app for my iPod Touch and like it. I don't want to sit at my desktop computer and read so I haven't gotten the computer one. I also have Stanza and Barnes and Noble (nook) apps. :lol:

Gotcha! Both of my Dell's are laptops...so I can haul them out of here and sit in my big overstuffed chair!

Mostly, I'm just grateful for the app! So I bought one book and took one free book! For sure, I'll read them when I'm stuck up in the mountains with nothin' but wind, air and sun! (this spring!) Especially after dark! The lighting isn't great for knitting (can't bring or use my OTT lite) at night, so I'm looking forward to reading my two books! I don't think it will be as great of a drain on my one battery. I might be wrong.

lovemyknitting
03-19-2010, 12:48 AM
We're very much a contrast and compare couple when it comes to tech gadgets,
I am the "techno geek" in my relationship. We have 4 different computers in the house all specific to the needs of the person whom is using it. My cell phone does everything, I do not have the iphone as we do not have that specific wireless provider but my cell phone does just about everything the iphone does. I have 2 ipods, one for just music one for just movies and I have an old ipod shuffle with just books on it! LOL I do not have a kindle or sony reader, for some odd reason I just prefer to flip through the pages. I can't explain it, my soon to be sister in law has a kindle and I don't know I just like books. But I do plan on getting the Ipad as soon as I can! LOL I told my wonderful, sweet boyfriend i wanted one for christmas! :thumbsup:

AngelaR
03-19-2010, 07:29 AM
I got my husband the Sony e-reader pocket version for his birthday and gave it to him early because I was about to murder him if he asked to use my ever in use Kindle again. The only problem is, it is not truly an e-book, but a true reader of digital media. He has a much easier time with books since he has tons that a friend gave him (thousands of titles, truly like owning your own library) and I have to take the time to find the book, convert it to the Kindle file type and then load it to the Kindle.

Now, how is this for geeky? I am seriously thinking about buying one for myself and keeping fun books on one and serious texts and scientific articles on another. Not to mention, the kids are getting theirs before summer for text books, because they pay for themselves on the first book bought.

WandaT
06-23-2010, 07:44 AM
Dollyce - did you see this? Price wars - gotta love it!

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/kindle-vs-nook-the-price-war-is-on-e-reader-shipments-to-surge/36066

Abbers1026
06-23-2010, 08:28 AM
I'm really wanting an e-reader and this forum has helped and confused me...lol...I'm planning on asking for it for my birthday(oct)/xmas...so I have time to decide and for some more kinks to be worked out...thanks for all the great info guys...

wanda I actually saw the price war on the news yesterday and I'm hoping they will go down just a little more

Debbie
06-23-2010, 08:35 AM
I love my nook and have 3 pdf knitting patterns downloaded. I got the extended waranty because I use it at the beach and at the pool. My one and only reason for choosing it .... my computer geek sister has one and we were on vacation together . 1. She was able to show me how to use every aspect of it. 2. Money you spend on vacation does not count. When I got home, the $50.00 gift card promotion had started, they gave me the gift card because I had made the purchase within 2 weeks. Yea! B & N .

vaudiss
06-23-2010, 08:37 AM
I know the nook has also changed its loaning rules on nook's on the same account. At first you could only loan a book once and for only 2 weeks but now as long as the nooks are registered on the same account you have access to ALL the books for either device...I'm SERIOUSLY thinking about getting one in a few weeks after I get my summer school paycheck of have my dad get me one of the new $150 ones...I don't need the 3G thing as long as I have my home wi-fi:inlove:

ArtLady1981
06-23-2010, 11:08 AM
Dollyce - did you see this? Price wars - gotta love it!

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/kindle-vs-nook-the-price-war-is-on-e-reader-shipments-to-surge/36066

I didn't see the article, but as I was reading through my email just minutes ago...Amazon had sent me an email, with the Kindle $189 price in blazing red letters!

I didn't realize it was part of a competitive price wars! :happydance:
Thanks for linking me to the article! Good info!

I'm still not convinced I need an e-reader. I'm waiting for the e-reader to become more versatile. My main problem remains the same: can't buy an e-book from B&N if I own the Kindle; can't buy an e-book from Amazon if I own the Nook. And the same for all the e-readers. I don't want to be tied to one vendor for my e-books. It's a racket IMO. :wink:

Abbers1026
06-23-2010, 11:13 AM
I completely agree...they need to become more versatile...

WandaT
06-24-2010, 08:34 AM
I agree too. I'm not gonna buy one until they are more versatile, the e-book price comes down and the "share" ability is doable. My daughter and I pretty much read the same books. I'm not going to buy the digital book twice. We have iTunes but only buy one cd to share between us. Same principle to me. There will always be copyright issues - there always has been, but this is a bottom line factor for me.

ArtLady1981
06-24-2010, 03:27 PM
Yeah, I've been thinking about this e-reader thing lately...trying to nail down why it annoys me so much.

But, think of it this way...would you buy a Dell PC if you could only use Dell software for it? What if every dang PC could limit us to using only their branded software?

NOT.

So why in the dickens is Kindle, Nook, Sony and the lot of them getting away with it? :??

Jan in CA
06-24-2010, 04:46 PM
So why in the dickens is Kindle, Nook, Sony and the lot of them getting away with it? :??

Because they can. A lot of people buy them anyway. :shrug:

suecq
06-25-2010, 10:14 AM
I think the big difference in the ereaders is the screen. The backlighting is good to read at night, but some people (like me) get a headache from staring at a backlit screen too long. After being on the computer for so many hours during the day my eyes really need a rest from the backlit screen. The Kindle is not backlit. Of course this means if you want to read in the dark you need an auxillary light. I also find the Kindle screen to be clear in bright sunlight.
I did extensive research on the ereaders prior to purchase and purchased the Kindle because of the screen. I needed an ereader because arthritis in my wrists had about stopped my reading as books were just too heavy to hold.

sakura-panda
06-25-2010, 10:22 AM
Yeah, I've been thinking about this e-reader thing lately...trying to nail down why it annoys me so much.

But, think of it this way...would you buy a Dell PC if you could only use Dell software for it? What if every dang PC could limit us to using only their branded software?

NOT.

It's not just ebooks.

Most software doesn't go cross platform -- if you want, say, Adobe Photoshop, you have to be sure to get the one that works with your computer, Windows or Mac. The other kind won't work.

Same thing with video games (PC, Sony, Xbox, Wii, DS, PSP) and ebooks (ePub, Mobi, etc). :shrug:

(I am not sure about the other ebook readers, but I know that it is very easy to add books to the Sony that did not come from the Sony store. Books that are not DRM'd to other devices, I mean.)

Publishers supply the books to B&N, Amazon and Sony; it is no different that other multiplatform electronic devices.

Why feel differently about books than say, interchangeable needles? If I have the Knit Picks set and I want another size tip, I can't buy an Addi Click tip and have it work with my KP cables -- I'm tied to KP tips unless I want to invest in another system.

SBG
06-25-2010, 11:13 AM
It's pretty easy to convert the various files to read on other devices, iPad aside (I haven't looked into those much). There are free programs that will convert them. So in reality it's pretty easy to get books almost wherever you want and share them (but it's not legal to share them).

ArtLady1981
06-25-2010, 01:31 PM
Thanks for sharing your expertise and viewpoints about e-readers. You all bring out great points of view and knowledge! I appreciate the time you took to share your info!

I know I am 'bound to get one' sooner or later. For now, it's later.

The longer I wait, the more perfected the device will become. Yes? :thumbsup:

kmaclean
06-25-2010, 02:23 PM
I just got a Kindle for my birthday, and I love it! :woot:

The main reasons why I chose the Kindle over others:

1) the display is as close to reading the paper version as it gets ... I did not want a reader with a backlight as it is much harder on your eyes.

2) it has a keyboard, which makes searching and other tasks much easier (I'm not a huge fan of the touch screen, but that's probably because I just don't have a lot of experience with it).

3) price (now only $189!).

4) when you purchase e-books for your Kindle through Amazon, they are automatically archived on the Amazon website. This means that if something happens to your computer or your Kindle, you won't have lost all of the e-books you have purchased ... you can re-download them for free! It also means that if you run out of space to add more content to your Kindle, you can choose what items you want on your Kindle at the moment and leave other items off without actually losing them ... they'll stay in your archive on the Amazon website.

While different companies (eg. Amazon, Barnes & Noble, etc) each have their own readers and sell e-books on their websites that are designed to work with their reader and not others, their are lots of other places to buy e-books as well! I think pretty much all of the readers now support many file types, probably the most common of which is PDF. Sites such as this one (http://www.buy-ebook.com/), for example, sell a huge variety of books in PDF format. This means you can use them on any reader!

If you download knitting patterns from sites such as Ravelry, then you could load them right on to your Kindle (or other reader) to take with you. I'm looking forward to being able to do this ... I'm forever printing out new copies of patterns as they tend to get chewed up looking (I take my knitting with me a lot and the print out of my pattern seems to always end up in the bottom of my bag!).

I only wish I had had one of these when I was still in college ... it would have saved me a huge amount of space and money on textbooks!

ArtLady1981
06-25-2010, 03:55 PM
1) the display is as close to reading the paper version as it gets ... I did not want a reader with a backlight as it is much harder on your eyes.

2) it has a keyboard, which makes searching and other tasks much easier (I'm not a huge fan of the touch screen, but that's probably because I just don't have a lot of experience with it).

I think pretty much all of the readers now support many file types, probably the most common of which is PDF. Sites such as this one (http://www.buy-ebook.com/), for example, sell a huge variety of books in PDF format. This means you can use them on any reader!

If you download knitting patterns from sites such as Ravelry, then you could load them right on to your Kindle (or other reader) to take with you.

Oh my! Those points are so good to know!!! :cheering:

Jeremy
06-25-2010, 04:55 PM
I have two Kindles and an Ipad. I love reading on the Ipad because it does have a backlight. I can read in bed with the lights out allowing my wife to sleep. The other night I sat out on my porch with just a candle burning and read. Don't get me wrong, I really like the Kindle and Amazon has made the books you buy very accessible through your phone and your computer (including the Ipad).

Jan in CA
06-25-2010, 05:33 PM
If I was going to get a reader I'd probably lean toward the iPad myself. I love my iPod Touch and I love the touch screen. Plus you can do a million other things with it, too. I have the Kindle, B&N and Stanza apps to download any kind of of book.

I have an app called Good Reader and I download PDF's from my Ravelry library. You can also download others I think.

Nothings in the budget for that right now, but maybe someday..

SBG
06-27-2010, 06:46 PM
I'd love to have a backlight. Sometimes I put books on my phone and use Aldiko to read them. It was the main thing I didn't like about the kindle.

bambi
07-12-2010, 08:53 PM
Thanks for all your input. I may be with Dollyce on this one. I think I may wait until it has all the features I want. Or perhaps an iPod touch with a kindle app...

Jan in CA
07-12-2010, 09:47 PM
Or perhaps an iPod touch with a kindle app...

That's what I have and I use it all the time! Barnes and Noble and Borders also have apps now and there's a couple where it's easy to get the free books. :thumbsup:

Debbie
07-13-2010, 11:16 AM
I love my nook and like that it does not have a backlight because I like to read at the pool and at the beach!

KnitWit8
07-17-2010, 12:47 AM
I absolutely love my kindle. My mom got it for me this past Christmas and I have read more books on it in the past 6 months than I did when I was in high school and my first year of college. I love to read but where I live the nearest Barnes and Noble is across town so it is really inconvenient. I love how I can download books from my computer or from my kindle. The screen is designed to look like paper that is why there is no back light. That really helps because my eyes are so bad and looking at a computer screen for too long gives me headaches. To read in the dark I use a normal book light. The best feature about the kindle is the dictionary that is already on it when you buy it. If you don't know the meaning of a word while you are reading you can scroll over to it with the cursor and the kindle will define it for you! That is my favorite feature.

Another great thing is that they have recently added a feature that lets you browse the internet on your kindle. It may be in black and white but the wireless is free and you don't have to pay for huge data charges. My kindle has replace my cell phone when it comes to checking e-mail.

The last thing I will point out is that many classic books are free on the Kindle. Books such as: Pride and Prejudice, Treasure Island, and Wuthering Heights.

What can I say, I just love my Kindle. :heart:

margrue
08-29-2010, 12:11 PM
I researched several eReaders and ended up getting a Sony Touch, which I love. I have been wasting a lot of time surfing all the free eBook sites, and love being able to show someone the eReader with 30 or so books loaded and tell them I got them all for free!
OK, there is a lot of junk on the free sites, but if you look around you can find stuff that isn't three hundred years old and written in French.
It is perfect for stuffing in my purse so I always have something to read without having to carry a 5 pound book around. And on trips when I would usually take a couple books (don't want to be without something to read) I just carry this little Reader.
Now, if only knitting books and patterns were in the eBook format!

Has anyone researched the differences? I saw a Nook in person today and found it interesting. I have yet to see a Kindle, but have read some about it. Anyone have either of these?

PBELKNAP
09-10-2010, 02:37 PM
I have a Nook and I absolutely adore it!

dawn1838
09-15-2010, 02:29 PM
I have a nook also. I would not trade it for anything! I love it.

adagioinb
09-15-2010, 11:47 PM
I've had a Palm for years, but it is dying. So in April I got an iPod Touch. It is much easier to read on than the Palm was. Meanwhile, I've been debating whether to get a kindle ever since they came out. Then Apple came out with the iPad, and that just confused me even more about what I wanted.
But I'm getting older and my eyes aren't what they used to be, and trying to read patterns on the Touch (PDF's usually) is a headache. So a few weeks ago I got mugged by a Sony eReader prs300 at Sam's. It just threw itself into my shopping cart. Very basic, few bells & whistles. But I can transfer patterns to it by USB, and it much easier to read patterns on. As a book reader, it is also easier to read on than the Touch. Does well in bright light. But does need lighting at night. As I sleep alone, this isn't an issue. But it convinced me of one thing: I'm not getting a Kindle unless it gets color. Patterns & their pictures are so much easier to use in color. So when I decide to buy myself a really expensive toy, I'll be getting an iPad.

Jan in CA
09-16-2010, 12:38 AM
I have the iTouch and don't mind reading on it, but I want the iPad bad... lol

sheldon
09-17-2010, 02:02 PM
I have the iTouch and don't mind reading on it, but I want the iPad bad... lol

I have an iPad and use it mostly for reading blog feeds and books. I love it! When reading, it feels like a very different activity than using a computer. It really feels like I am reading a book, albeit one of those magical books out of Harry Potter. The dimmable backlight is nice for reading in different light levels and the iBooks app has a built in dictionary which lets you highlight and look up any word. And of course, you have full access to the web, email and all the apps in the app store.

The iPad does have another benefit over the Kindle and Nook. The videos on KnittingHelp.com work on it (along with the iPod touch and Iphone). Making the videos compatible with the iPad was one of my first projects when I got the device.

Jan in CA
09-17-2010, 02:37 PM
That sounds awesome, Sheldon! Good to hear a review on it.

My kindle app has a dictionary now and I use it all the time. Lately I've been reading library books so my husband can read them as well and it drives me crazy not to have the dictionary! :lol:

athurart09
09-17-2010, 10:09 PM
I have two Sony readers, the PRS-300 Pocket Edition and the PRS-600 Touch Edition. I love them both.

mamapaulsel
09-23-2010, 07:25 AM
I've been saving my money and doing research on both the Kindle and the Nook. I think that my DD's and I are going to get Kindle's latest generation for Christmas. I like the fact that you can knit and have the kindle read to you by putting it on audio. That way I can multi-task.

Abbers1026
09-23-2010, 10:15 AM
i didn't know the kindle had the audio function...i was already leaning towards getting one with birthday money...I'm thinking the 3g +wifi version...

mamapaulsel
09-23-2010, 06:27 PM
That was one of the positive things about the Kindle that made me lean towards it instead of the Nook. It makes it more user friendly for people who have dyslexia. If DD gets stuck on a word she can turn on the audio and see if she is reading it correctly. Plus, like I said before, it will free up my hands so that I can knit and listen to books. I'm only $119.00 short to order three of them with 3g, neoprene cases and the 2 year extended warrenty. I can't wait :happydance:

Breezed
10-05-2010, 04:03 PM
I have the latest Kindle 3g+WiFi and I love it. I had the 2nd gen Kindle as well and loved it. I tried others but despised them so much. I find for a woman with small, petite hands, the Kindle is a much better feel especially the new one because it's thinner and smaller. My boyfriend and Mom have both now went with Kindle as well and they love it.

offgridgirl
10-31-2010, 11:05 PM
I love my NOOK!!! I just got one!! I love the music function on it as well as being able to read pdf files. I put the nook application on my notebook and can now read there as well..... Any one with a nook wanna lend books???:mrgreen:

mamapaulsel
12-11-2010, 04:19 AM
I just ordered our Kindles this morning for Christmas. I hope that they make it here in time. I can't wait!!! My girls have been book shopping for weeks now and hope that they get some gift cards to go along with their new Kindles. Maybe Grandma and Grandpa will come through with those but I'm not holding my breath.

Jan in CA
12-11-2010, 02:08 PM
What an awesome gift, Brenda! There are free books on Amazon sometimes, but I do recommend you check them out before the girls download them.
http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=amb_link_85650291_18?ie=UTF8&node=2245146011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=left-1&pf_rd_r=0PXD86J6M358PN658NZH&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1282365842&pf_rd_i=1286228011

Some authors/Amazon offer free books from mainstream authors as a promotion. The books they offer are usually old ones, but not always.

kmaclean
12-12-2010, 12:12 AM
Some authors/Amazon offer free books from mainstream authors as a promotion. The books they offer are usually old ones, but not always.

I agree! There are a lot of great classics available for free, which is great ... I just re-read Louisa May Alcott's "Little Women" for the first time since I was a kid :yay:

Jan in CA
12-12-2010, 01:46 AM
Brenda I just saw a giveaway on Facebook for a Kindle giftcard a day! If you're on Facebook you might check into it. Do a search for Amazon Kindle.

offgridgirl
12-15-2010, 01:56 AM
\ There are free books on Amazon sometimes,

Barnes and Nobel has free books all the time and they have classics such as 20K under the sea, Alice in Wonderland, Sherlock Holmes,etc

They also offer any new book that can be read in store for free!!
Also the Nook offers web interface and color Nook running the latest Android version is the best!:cheering:

Breezed
12-16-2010, 08:58 AM
All classics have a free version from that project where they have scanned them in online. It's not a Kindle vs Nook thing. Just to clarify that.

Jan in CA
12-16-2010, 02:06 PM
All classics have a free version from that project where they have scanned them in online. It's not a Kindle vs Nook thing. Just to clarify that.

Correct. There are free versions of the classics for Kindle as well. I just meant there are other books, too, and from checking them out I can say with authority that a few of them are NOT for kids which is why I said to check them out first.

Abbers1026
12-17-2010, 04:47 PM
I just found out that I will be getting the new Kindle 3G +wifi for xmas and i'm soo pumped and what helped me make my decision was reading everyones info on all the options...i can't wait...i love that all the classics are avaliable for free and the free 3g and wifi, and the text to speech feature