PDA

View Full Version : First Fair Isle project

Sknitter56
02-28-2010, 08:18 PM
This has been a learning experience. First thing I learned: make sure there's enough contrast in your yarn colors. Second thing: don't switch knitting styles midstream. I started out knitting the regular way where the yarn gets twisted with each stitch, then I thought I'd try the two-handed fair isle knitting, which I really liked, but the stitch definition just didn't seem to be as crisp as the other way, so I went back to the first way. I can really tell where I changed methods. I was hoping blocking might help, but I don't think it will. I really love this pattern, but if I make it again, I'll use bigger needles (this called for size 0 for the ribbing and size 2 for the rest of the hat) and different colors. I used Knit Picks Palette in Cream and Mist. The hat is a free Ravelry download called Selbu Modern. Anyway, I learned a lot so even if I don't ever wear this, it was worth it. I've got this blocking over a bowl and the ribbing is under the bottom of the bowl.

tilllie
02-28-2010, 10:11 PM
Wow, what a nice job on fair isle! Very pretty!

Jan in CA
03-01-2010, 12:13 AM
Oh I was going to ask how you got it so perfectly round. :roflhard: It's beautiful! I've been frustrated with fair isle except on small bits. I just can't seem to get the strands right..it's too tight or too lose.

Belphoebe
03-01-2010, 12:48 AM
So pretty!

ArtLady1981
03-01-2010, 04:30 AM
I really like the subtle color differences within this fair isle hat! I would have thought it to be ON PURPOSE! Ya know...now that I think about it...one of the reasons I sometimes shy away from falling in love with fair isle designs is the HUGE CONTRAST between the two colors!

So I guess you could say, I am in MAD LOVE with your hat and the (almost) monochromatic color theme!

If it was an accident, what a perfect one!

GinnyG
03-01-2010, 06:20 AM
You did a very nice job!!

There was a KAL on Ravelry for the Selbu and many of the loveliest were subtle color differences. It is a great pattern to learn stranded knitting.

Sknitter56
03-01-2010, 07:46 AM
Thank you all...I have lots of both colors of yarn left over so I think I'll make the adjustments in needle size and color, and maybe...when I finish a few other things, I'll do this again. And, I'll stay with one stranding method. This actually went pretty fast...I think it only took a couple of weeks, and that was just knitting a couple of hours at night and a little on weekends. Plus, it gave me an excuse to order a couple of Harmony circs since I didn't have any in the small size.:)

fluffybunny
03-01-2010, 09:23 AM
From what I can see, (the pictures are small enough that I can't see them very well. :( ) I like the low-contrast yarns a lot. Very nice work!
Donna

JudyD
03-01-2010, 11:48 AM
Beautiful hat...beautiful work! It's like looking at a kaleidoscope...if you look long enough the first star fades into the background and the second star becomes prominent.

:cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Judy

WandaT
03-01-2010, 12:06 PM
I think it turned out very nice! I, too, like the mild contrast between the colors. :)

AngelaR
03-01-2010, 01:20 PM
It's beautiful! You did a wonderful job.

GrandmaLori
03-02-2010, 10:52 AM
It's really neat. You know, there's nothing wrong with doing a pattern more than once, as you see what you liked and didn't like in the first rendition (especially if it's a small thing like a hat). I often repeat patterns.

Terriano
03-21-2010, 07:14 PM
I think your hat is beautiful and the subtle contrast is very elegant!