PDA

View Full Version : mitten help

TunkGirl86
04-16-2010, 02:09 PM
Im working on making mittens and I need help. On row 2 it says to Purl across slipping markers, what does that mean? do I do the whole row in the purl stitch and just move the markers to the next needle?

suzeeq
04-16-2010, 02:43 PM
Right, slip markers means to move them from the L to the R needle, you do this as you purl all the sts.

TunkGirl86
04-16-2010, 04:10 PM
Thanks! have you done the mitten because i have another question lol. Under Thumb gusset it says Row 1: K(14-16-18)(20-22-24), i know K means knit but what kinda of stitch do i knit with?

suzeeq
04-16-2010, 04:25 PM
There's only 2 sts, a knit or a purl, and they're just doing the same stitch from a different side. The back of a knit is a purl and the back of a purl is a knit. So you just knit however many sts for your size.

MerigoldinWA
04-16-2010, 04:27 PM
When it says knit in this kind of context it means to use the basic knit stitch. The two basic stitches in knitting are the knit and the purl, and you should knit instead of purl.

suzeeq
04-16-2010, 04:41 PM
Oh yes. Inside a pattern it knit is used as a stitch not a verb. When a pattern is just referring to knit as an action, it uses the word 'work' instead, realizing that you may be using either knit or purl sts.

GinaG
05-26-2010, 01:03 AM
i feel as if i may be doing an extremely similar pattern, if not the same one, and i am also having some difficulties.

my main question is:

while working in the round, knitting every stitch creates a stockinette pattern, right? so why would i want to purl round 2?

also, i still do not understand the whole "Purl across slipping markers" :oops:

help??

suzeeq
05-26-2010, 12:40 PM
You would need to alternate a knit round with a purl round to get garter stitch. It may be your pattern is supposed to be knit flat and in the round. Does it say to seam the edges when you're done? Do you have a link to it?

MerigoldinWA
05-26-2010, 07:24 PM
, i still do not understand the whole "Purl across slipping markers"

Yeah, the use of the term "across" usually indicates that you are working in rows and not rounds as in circular knitting. But to purl across slipping markers means to purl to the first marker and then slip the marker to the right hand needle, then purl to the next marker and repeat the process all the way across the row.

A marker is like a little doughnut with the needle sticking through the hole of the doughnut. When you purl up to it, it will be on the left needle, move it over to the right one so that that needle is now sticking through the hole in the doughnut.

hyperactive
05-27-2010, 04:10 AM
i feel as if i may be doing an extremely similar pattern, if not the same one, and i am also having some difficulties.

my main question is:

while working in the round, knitting every stitch creates a stockinette pattern, right? so why would i want to purl round 2?

also, i still do not understand the whole "Purl across slipping markers" :oops:

help??

Hi Gina!

Even when working in rounds, it may make sense to purl some rows.
That will create a rising row, with the "loops" sticking up.
If that is requested for row 2 of your pattern, I assume you are working from the wrist to the fingertips? Then it forms a cuff. The first rows then are a rising border, then the stochinette part beginns.
Just follow those instructions. If you do not like what comes out, you know better for next time!

GinaG
06-06-2010, 11:34 AM
You would need to alternate a knit round with a purl round to get garter stitch. It may be your pattern is supposed to be knit flat and in the round. Does it say to seam the edges when you're done? Do you have a link to it?

goodness, i am such a dunce! for some odd reason, i just assumed that it was knit in the round and didn't even look further on in the instructions! thank you for helping me see my errors :-P

suzeeq
06-06-2010, 11:38 AM
Don't feel like an idiot, we all misread patterns. I'm working on a shawl that starts with a lace edge and misread the dbl decrease. Oh well, it was just a test knit anyway....