PDA

View Full Version : New KnitPicks Options "Try it Needle Set"

margz3
06-10-2010, 12:17 PM
This is a very cool idea! http://www.knitpicks.com/needles/Try_It_Needle_Set__D90252.html

I have the nickel and zephyrs and am dying to try out the harmonies (one can never have too many needles!) This is a great, and affordable way to try out KP's different interchangeable needles!

Abbers1026
06-10-2010, 12:48 PM
this has definately been moved to the wish list:happydance:

Jan in CA
06-10-2010, 01:02 PM
That is an excellent idea! So many people were buying one set to test anyway!

Crycket
06-10-2010, 04:29 PM
I love the idea, but find it a bit steep price wise. For $20, you have half paid for the Zepher set, and 1/3 paid for the nickle ones.

I think I would be more inclined, even at $15.

suzeeq
06-10-2010, 07:53 PM
I'd go for it, but these are all sizes I don't use, though I have a 7 in Harmony. Now if they had larger ones that included 10, 10, 11 or the 7mm, I'd jump on it. Or if you could do a 'make your own set. So I'll be buying a couple tips separately.

newamy
06-10-2010, 10:38 PM
I added up the cost to buy each item separately and it was 20.46 vs 19.99---I'd be more inclined if there was a bigger bonus in savings.

lelvsdgs
06-12-2010, 10:24 PM
I think I'm going to go for it so I can try all the different materials. Plus, extra cables are always good. A friend and are are going to place an order together to save on shipping. It will only be a bit more to get the free shipping and that will be easy for us to do!

ArtLady1981
06-18-2010, 11:39 PM
Now that's what I call a dern GOOD IDEA! Knitpicks rocks!

Thanks for posting this news!!!

RoseFairy
06-18-2010, 11:56 PM
So has anyone tried all 3 types yet? How were they?

ArtLady1981
06-19-2010, 03:07 AM
So has anyone tried all 3 types yet? How were they?

I've tried all 3. They are all great, different, but great.

When I start a new knitter out, I recommend that they purchase the full set of Zephyr's. The Z's are slippery enough, and grabby enough, for any project...plus, the price-point is the best! They don't break the bank.

N0obKnitter
06-19-2010, 03:22 PM
[QUOTE=ArtLady1981;1292124]I've tried all 3. They are all great, different, but great.

When I start a new knitter out, I recommend that they purchase the full set of Zephyr's. The Z's are slippery enough, and grabby enough, for any project...plus, the price-point is the best! They don't break the bank.[/QUOTE

Are the Zephyrs a good idea for those already have the metal Options (and Addiclicks?)

ArtLady1981
06-19-2010, 04:36 PM
Well, I have the OPTIONS NP, Harmony's, and Addi Clicks.
When Z's were launched, I was curious how they would work, you know, the surface...slick or not, grabby or not.

I found that they perform pretty much like Harmony's. They are not as ssssslick as Options NP's and Addi Clicks. They have about the same "grab" as Harmony's. And many times, the Options NP's are too slick for some work...so I use Harmony's.

Between the two, performance wise, they are so similar that I didn't purchase beyond the 3 Z's I have. I bought 6-7-8's, tips only. And left it at that.

If you don't have the Harmony's, you could put the Z's to good use (for a better price than Harmony's come in at!)

However THAT SAID, if money is not a decider...I prefer working with Harmony's.
I like wood much better than acrylic. BTW: I love the Harmony's.

You can't beat the price of the full set Z's. And they are pretty. A good purchase if you think you may only need them once in a while. It's hard to resist the full set, it's such a good buy.

Hope this helps!

BTW, did you see? Addi will soon be launching their Addi-Lace (interchangeable) Clicks! Blue cords, not red. And the set includes 5 cords, not 3. The tips are shorter to accommodate the 16" and 20" cords. Hmmm.

WEBS is taking pre-orders. (http://www.yarn.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/categoryID/B80CDD36-A3F1-4E72-BA3C-8AA6A0A54764/productID/B1172530-998C-4E44-B417-9B9AC2F7EDBA/)And their website tells all about them, and gives a link to Knitter's Review on them.

I dunno. KnitPicks OPTIONS kinda "fill the bill" when it comes to sharp points for cable work, lace work, and other tight places.

I've heard that Addi Lace needles stink. That they begin to smell like copper pennies.

I was at our South Sound Knitting Guild monthly meetup last Sunday, and a knitter sitting next to me was working with Addi-Lace set circs with the red cords. I took her needles and gave them a sniff. Yup, they smelled funny, like metal, or copper pennies.

I've read that it might depend on the chemistry of your hands. But I've also read the copper penny comment frequently enough to SHY AWAY from the brass finish of the Addi Lace. Nothin' worse than smelly needles. A real turnoff. And I've heard (read) that the finish of the Addi-Lace can discolor some knitting. Ack. I'll never know if my chemistry is a killer.

Nuff said.

Crycket
06-19-2010, 04:56 PM
BTW, did you see? Addi will soon be launching their Addi-Lace (interchangeable) Clicks! Blue cords, not red. And the set includes 5 cords, not 3. The tips are shorter to accommodate the 16" and 20" cords. Hmmm.

Betcha KP won't be too far behind with something similar!

ArtLady1981
06-19-2010, 05:10 PM
Betcha KP won't be too far behind with something similar!

Well, if KP came out with shorter cords...they 'regulation length' tips wouldn't work well.

The new Addi Lace tips are 4", whereas the regulation tip size is 5.25".

Here is Clara's full review, and it includes the issue of the tips and cords.
Knitter's Review on Addi Lace Clicks Interchangeables. (http://www.knittersreview.com/article_tool.asp?article=/review/product/100415_a.asp)

The shorter tips for circular knitting is really awesome. That's why I bought all of the Harmony "set circs" in 16". The tips are *very short, and it really helps make the 'circle' for small diameter knitting, when you don't want to fuss with MagicLoop or Two-Circs in-the-round.

Not as short as Hiya Hiyas, which are so stubby as to be aggravating. I have some of those, too. Couldn't resist.

The right tool for the right job makes life sooo fine. :thumbsup:

RoseFairy
06-19-2010, 07:38 PM
I've heard that Addi Lace needles stink. That they begin to smell like copper pennies.

That's the deal killer for me. I absolutely hate that coppery, metal smell. It makes my stomach sick and will make any headaches I have worse. I actually buy sketchbooks with plastic bindings (or plastic covered) so it doesn't smell like metal, because my first sketchbooks were the metal bindings and I found that it really bothered me.

ArtLady1981
06-20-2010, 12:56 AM
That's the deal killer for me. I absolutely hate that coppery, metal smell. It makes my stomach sick and will make any headaches I have worse. I actually buy sketchbooks with plastic bindings (or plastic covered) so it doesn't smell like metal, because my first sketchbooks were the metal bindings and I found that it really bothered me.

I'm like you...I'm very susceptible to bad odors and fragrances. There is nothing that makes my day BETTER than a great fragrance, whether natural (like flowers or watermelon or lemon) or man-made (like Victoria's Secret "Pear" or "Love Spell")!!

But I could just collapse from something foul, or too strong. And if I were knitting for hours with copper penny metallic odor, I'm sure I'd get sick. And it seems like the 'finish' or 'feel' of the needles would get clammy or sticky. Eww.

N0obKnitter
06-20-2010, 08:40 AM
That's weird that the Addi lace needles stink. I've not noticed any stench from my regular AddiClicks...I think if I was going to get a set of interchangeable lace needles I'd go with KP. My regular Addiclicks cost nearly $200.00CAD (there's taxes, too.) $200!!!!! I only paid half, I had a gift certificate from the LYS for my birthday for $100, I immediately knew what to do with the $ lol.

I'm also sensitive to bad odours, I hate the smell of metal on my hands - yuck! I can't stand the smell of oven cleaner...BO...fish sauce and a bunch of other stuff.

BTW, the cords for my regular Addiclicks are blue as well, not red...

ArtLady1981
06-20-2010, 11:06 AM
I love my regular Addi needles...both the Addi 'set circs' (the Turbos) and the Addi Clicks. Matter of fact, I've noted that the finish on the new Addi Clicks is even smoother, even more buttery soft, than the original Addi Turbos. You wouldn't think it possible, would you? The finish is just superb!

I think the problem with Addi Lace is the "brass" (yellow-gold) finish. There has to be "something about it" that reacts to the chemistry of 'some' people's hands. Not all, but some.

Anyone want to gamble with the $170 cost of Addi Lace to find out if 'their chemistry' is gonna react adversely? It's a shame. Addi should have 'taken notes' and scrapped the brass finish. They should have stuck with what works. The 'copper pennies' thing has been talked about for quite a while now.

Crycket
06-20-2010, 11:24 AM
Well, if KP came out with shorter cords...they 'regulation length' tips wouldn't work well.

The new Addi Lace tips are 4", whereas the regulation tip size is 5.25".

They may come out with shorter needles for lace, just to compete. It looks like they have been "keeping up with the jones'" for a while. They may just go shorter for the sake of showing up Addi. Really they are the only people who close to what Addi does.

suzeeq
06-20-2010, 11:43 AM
I think the Knit Pros, the european version of Knit picks needles, do come in shorter interchangeable circs with shorter needle tips.

suecq
06-22-2010, 10:40 AM
They may come out with shorter needles for lace, just to compete. It looks like they have been "keeping up with the jones'" for a while. They may just go shorter for the sake of showing up Addi. Really they are the only people who close to what Addi does.
Knitpicks has fixed circulars in the 16" sizes, they have had them for some time. The tips are shorter of course.

Crycket
06-22-2010, 12:10 PM
Knitpicks has fixed circulars in the 16" sizes, they have had them for some time. The tips are shorter of course.

Then it is possible they will do the interchangeable thing too...*smiles*

SBG
06-25-2010, 11:22 AM
I have some of each already. I like the harmonies, love the nickel-plated, can't stand the zephyr.

KnitsKnacks
06-25-2010, 01:22 PM
I have some of each already. I like the harmonies, love the nickel-plated, can't stand the zephyr.

I am wanting to buy the Zephyr set. What is it that you do not like about them?

SBG
06-25-2010, 01:26 PM
I knit tight & fast. I'm so used to the nickel plated, that the zephyrs feel almost sticky.

KnitsKnacks
06-25-2010, 01:31 PM
So for someone who is looking for cheaper prices, are the Zephyrs still good quality?

ArtLady1981
06-25-2010, 01:38 PM
So for someone who is looking for cheaper prices, are the Zephyrs still good quality?

Yes, they are very nice needles!
I worked with Z's for hours when I first got them, as a try out! They didn't get sticky for me.

I find them to be very nice on the hands. They warm up to you!

Perhaps the 'sticky' issue is personal. Not across the board.

Here might be the answer: purchase a set of TIPS ONLY in your most frequently used size.
And 1 set of 24" cables, too, of course. This will only cost you a few bucks.

Work with the Z's for a few days, or whatever time it takes.

If they perform wonderfully for you...then double back and get the full set. It's always nice to have an extra set of tips and cords in your set. I have extras of lots of my tips.

This is what I did when KP came out with Harmony 10" straights, too. I bought the US8, and worked with them. Finally, I found that I missed not having all the sizes. So about a year later, I purchased the full set of 10" Harmony straights when KP had a sale.

I use straights for binding off a lot, and for other odd jobs. It's nice to just grab one. No screwing on a tip to a cord. Just grab and go.

KnitsKnacks
06-25-2010, 01:44 PM
Artlady, thanks for your advice.

I'm pretty good at following my instincts. From watching the video on the Z's on KP, to reading reviews and all that, my instincts say to buy the Z set.

So, the flexibility that I've seen the Z's have and the way they work, I'm pretty sure this is the set I will buy. No doubt. I was just curious as to why some may not like them.

Question. As a newbie I don't know much of the lingo yet. What does "stickiness" mean?

margz3
06-25-2010, 02:06 PM
Question. As a newbie I don't know much of the lingo yet. What does "stickiness" mean?

Stickiness is how the yarn feels on the needles. With the Z's, I understand the "stickiness" issue when using inexpensive acrylic yarn. If you are using a good wool, the yarn glides over the needles, but I find it sticky (grabby, squeeky....) when using something like RHSS (Red Heart Super Saver).

So, I wouldn't recommend the Z's unless you are using a smooth, non grabby type of yarn. But they are nice otherwise. I use my Options more, but they Z's are nice for a spare set of interchangable needles at a very reasonable cost.

KnitsKnacks
06-25-2010, 02:12 PM
I see what you're saying now.

I use RHSS and I enjoy it. Although I use knickle plated and bamboo needles at the moment. And if it's squeaky, I'm partially deaf so I wouldn't hear it. LOL!

Thanks for the information.

ArtLady1981
06-25-2010, 02:12 PM
What does "stickiness" mean?

KP really screwed up (IMHO) when they used the word 'sticky' in their video.
I thought to myself "Didn't anyone QC this video, AT ALL?" :doh:

Anyway, I watched it over and over again, trying to 'get over' the word 'sticky'.

I think the best word is 'clingy'. For example, she could have said "I love these needles. They're very clingy. The yarn doesn't slip around at lot. The yarn adheres to the needles very nicely"

I'm sure KP lost lots of sales off the back of that awful video. Oy! :wall:

On another note: Margaret makes a good point, about acrylic yarn VS natural fiber yarn.
My experience with acrylic: I've heard my Red Heart Super Saver Yarn squeak even with
KP nickel plated needles. Ewww. So it's sorta more the fault of the yarn than the needles IMO.

KnitsKnacks
06-25-2010, 02:20 PM
See, told you I'm partially deaf, I didn't really get a good chance to read her lips when I watched that video, so I didn't even catch "sticky".

Well, I think they'd be best for me anyways, the more I use my nickel plated needles, my hand hurts.

margz3
06-25-2010, 02:25 PM
I think the best word is 'clingy'. For example, she could have said "I love these needles. They're very clingy. The yarn doesn't slip around at lot. The yarn adheres to the needles very nicely"

I'm sure KP lost lots of sales off the back of that awful video. Oy! :wall:

On another note: Margaret makes a good point, about acrylic yarn VS natural fiber yarn.
My experience with acrylic: I've heard my Red Heart Super Saver Yarn squeak even with
KP nickel plated needles. Ewww. So it's sorta more the fault of the yarn than the needles IMO.

I totally agree with you! Clingy would be a much better word. Some people prefer the clingy feel when knitting and find that nickel plated needles can be too slippery. It's really a matter of preference!

As for RSHH, it is tres clingy IMO, and the squeekiness is also a feeling, not just a sound! Not knocking it - it definitely has it's uses, but having graduated to natural fiber yarns (as much as I can afford) I tend to shy away from it. I also have found other, inexpensive acrylic yarns that are more palatable for me to use!

suzeeq
06-25-2010, 02:35 PM
With the Z's, I understand the "stickiness" issue when using inexpensive acrylic yarn.

I have other acrylic needles and generally like them, but when I do work with older acrylic yarn that's been used and reused a lot for sample knitting, the sts don't slide so well. Not as much a problem when using fresh yarn.

Most people do use the word 'sticky' when referring to less slick needles. They're good for slippery yarns.