PDA

View Full Version : OT: my other obsession...

N0obKnitter
06-29-2010, 12:50 AM
...is nailpolish. I have probably 20 different polishes (maybe more, too lazy to count.) Almost all Essie and O.P.I. I have everything from green, yellow, black to reds, pinks and purples and several colours in between. :heart:

bambi
06-29-2010, 02:35 PM
...is cooking. My WORD program is another whole cookbook.

etoilechaude
06-29-2010, 02:41 PM
...is cooking.

Me too!!!! :)

... I just got a sewing machine though (Janome DC2010 rawr!)... and while I'm terribad at using it, I can see myself getting hooked quite easily.

Jan in CA
06-29-2010, 04:10 PM
Whatever keeps you off the streets. :lol:

bambi
06-29-2010, 07:03 PM
Evan, I have a Janome, too. It can be another addiction!

Crycket
06-29-2010, 08:03 PM
is cooking...just got my kitchen renoed...it is so nice!

But after that...and really...when I don't want to eat anymore...I play World of Warcraft...or Sims...

etoilechaude
06-29-2010, 09:22 PM
But after that...and really...when I don't want to eat anymore...I play World of Warcraft...or Sims...

My partner and I met on WoW!!!!!!! :) I guess that would have to be an obsession as well... ;)

N0obKnitter
06-29-2010, 10:34 PM
I met my fiance on a cycling forum lolz. Cycling and photography is also my other obsessions. :) I'm an amateur photographer...

Crycket
06-30-2010, 08:52 AM
My partner and I met on WoW!!!!!!! :) I guess that would have to be an obsession as well... ;)

Awww really! That is great! I have a friend that ended up in my wedding party that I met on WoW...That and I have sent knitted goodies to a fair number of my guildies!

Puddinpop
06-30-2010, 10:33 AM
I love O.P.I. There is a polish at Wal-Mart in a square bottle. Can't remember the name and it looked so pretty. It had glitter in it and the glitter feels bumpy and rough. Don't get that. The others without the glitter is nice, though. I have been taking vitamin C and my nails are pretty long now. Wanted to show them off but, the glitter just didn't work for me. Have you had the aqua color?

catlvr
06-30-2010, 11:45 AM
Watching Fox News and Steeler football. I yell at the TV and before my hubby passed away he used to say "They can't hear youuuuu!!!" LOL!!

Crycket
06-30-2010, 12:17 PM
I have been taking vitamin C and my nails are pretty long now.

Best thing for nails...is gummi bears...or gummi worms, or anything with gelatin. Makes them nice and strong...try it!

cftwo
06-30-2010, 01:07 PM
lately, my other obsession has been genealogy. I've been driving myself bananas looking for birth and death records that don't seem to exist.

Jan in CA
06-30-2010, 02:21 PM
lately, my other obsession has been genealogy. I've been driving myself bananas looking for birth and death records that don't seem to exist.

We did that, too. We found my DH's family back to the Revolutionary War and mine back to about 1800 when they came over from Luxembourg.

Here's a few good sites. You sometimes have to try a few different ways of finding info on one site. People sometimes enter the dates incorrectly or there are misspellings. We also went to the National Archives. If you're lucky enough to live near one try them as well.
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/
http://www.cyndislist.com/supplies.htm

Puddinpop
06-30-2010, 09:16 PM
Crycket, I have to leave the Gummi Bears alone cause I have diabeties. I don't cut them until one breaks. The nail polish I was talking about is Pure Ice. It's fun and cheap.

Crycket
06-30-2010, 11:02 PM
Crycket, I have to leave the Gummi Bears alone cause I have diabeties. I don't cut them until one breaks. The nail polish I was talking about is Pure Ice. It's fun and cheap.

ah that is too bad...but I think they still have gelatin caps...I could be wrong. Either way...it is the gelatin that makes them nice and strong.

I believe there are sugar free gummi candy as well...but I know that kinda thing doesn't come cheap. My dad is diabetic too...

Dimpledapple
06-30-2010, 11:42 PM
I'm obsessed with nails, too! I have a few O.P.I. and Essie nail polishes, but my collection is mostly China Glaze. Some colors are hit and miss, but for the most part, their stuff is pretty cool.

I like doing all sorts of different designs. My current manicure:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4139/4751101754_5120c6b7f5.jpg

And yes. That's a World Cup bracket sheet in the background. Yet another obsession of mine :teehee:

N0obKnitter
07-01-2010, 12:37 AM
Pretty!

cftwo
07-01-2010, 09:03 AM
Thanks, Jan. I've also found the specific county-based genealogy sites are often great - that's where I found an obituary for my "victim's" half-brother that listed more siblings which led to a parent's name. I am on Ancestry.com, but it doesn't have everything. I'll have to try these other links.

Puddinpop
07-01-2010, 10:21 AM
ah that is too bad...but I think they still have gelatin caps...I could be wrong. Either way...it is the gelatin that makes them nice and strong.

I believe there are sugar free gummi candy as well...but I know that kinda thing doesn't come cheap. My dad is diabetic too...
SF Gummi Bears? How cool. I have never heard of Essie. Will have to look it up or google it. Spoke too soon, now my thumb nail is cracked at the quick but, it hasn't come off yet. Can't see it either. Maybe I can get them painted cool one more time before I have to cut them.

Puddinpop
07-01-2010, 10:22 AM
I'm obsessed with nails, too! I have a few O.P.I. and Essie nail polishes, but my collection is mostly China Glaze. Some colors are hit and miss, but for the most part, their stuff is pretty cool.

Do you use the nail pens? I have a gold one. Your nails are cool.

N0obKnitter
07-01-2010, 05:18 PM
SF Gummi Bears? How cool. I have never heard of Essie. Will have to look it up or google it. Spoke too soon, now my thumb nail is cracked at the quick but, it hasn't come off yet. Can't see it either. Maybe I can get them painted cool one more time before I have to cut them.

Warning: sugar-free candy can be high in sugar alcohols. In many people, ingesting sugar alcohols causes WICKED bad intestinal cramping and diarrhea.

When I was in Weight Watchers I would regularly experiment with alternative type of products like: fat-free cream cheese (horrible, like eating vaseline) and sugar free jelly beans. I ate like a palm's worth of jellybeans and was struck with severe bowel pains etc. I wished I was dead. Be careful!

etoilechaude
07-01-2010, 05:35 PM
When I was in Weight Watchers I would regularly experiment with alternative type of products like: fat-free cream cheese (horrible, like eating vaseline) ...

AMEN! There are many things I will do without, but my cream cheese needs it's fat! :)

N0obKnitter
07-01-2010, 07:44 PM
Oui...after all, it IS *cream* cheese!

Crycket
07-01-2010, 08:03 PM
Quite frankly I live by the adage, no fat - no taste.

I am not totally apposed to low fat things, but they are generally things that probably didn't have much fat in them to begin with.

I have actually started cooking my own staple things, just to avoid the preservatives. So I no longer by Mayo, taco sauce, taco seasoning, cookies or other backed goods. I make them at home, where I control what goes into them. It is so much butter for you....opps, I mean better!

Puddinpop
07-01-2010, 09:28 PM
Warning: sugar-free candy can be high in sugar alcohols. In many people, ingesting sugar alcohols causes WICKED bad intestinal cramping and diarrhea.

When I was in Weight Watchers I would regularly experiment with alternative type of products like: fat-free cream cheese (horrible, like eating vaseline) and sugar free jelly beans. I ate like a palm's worth of jellybeans and was struck with severe bowel pains etc. I wished I was dead. Be careful!
I already have Ulcerative Colitis and do not need anymore pains. I think I will pass.

Dimpledapple
07-01-2010, 09:51 PM
Do you use the nail pens? I have a gold one. Your nails are cool.

I do have some nail pens, but I did this particular manicure using the water marbling method. Rather time involved, but I really like it :)

Puddinpop
07-02-2010, 10:21 AM
do have some nail pens, but I did this particular manicure using the water marbling method. Rather time involved, but I really like it
Well, that sounds interesting. Will you explain the technique?

Dimpledapple
07-02-2010, 02:53 PM
You pretty much place drops of nail polish (you want to make concentric circles) into a little container with water then gently swirl the nail polish around with a toothpick until you get the desired marbled effect. You dunk your nail in and that's about it. Check out this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k-EAkFdaZo) YouTube video for a cool tutorial!

Puddinpop
07-02-2010, 07:47 PM
Pretty!

sissyv
07-11-2010, 02:52 PM
Thought I'd suppoort the business and let you know that AVON nailpolish is really nice and inexpensive. AND I dont know if its true or not but I heard that its OPI with the Avon label on it. If interested look for a sales rep near you! (sounds like I'm an infomercial doesn't it? LOL):teehee:

Woodi
07-11-2010, 03:32 PM
Love those nails, dimpledapple! I too love nail polish, but find that the remover stuff weakens the nails almost immediately, and takes all the shine off the natural nail.

So I don't wear the polishes too often....but I do love to dress up my fingers when I'm selling my handmade soaps at a craft show.

N0obKnitter
07-11-2010, 04:50 PM
^ There's gentle nail polish remover etc out there, eh?

UruzPhoenix
07-11-2010, 10:35 PM
fabric. I think my fabric stash is bigger than my yarn stash (to keep it in perspective: my fabric fits in one of those medium size 21 gallon or so rubbermaid bins while my yarn stash, including my needles and wip's take up 3 drawers of one of those sterlite carts that you can pick up for about 16 bucks at walmart... i know, i need to get to a LYS soon!)

I don't really buy fabric for any reason other than i like it... then i try to figure out a quilt for various fabrics and then buy MORE fabric to coordinate for the printed fabric... then i lose patience with all the measuring and cutting and pick up my knitting needles instead :)

UruzPhoenix
07-11-2010, 10:54 PM

Walmart sells them here.

Crycket
07-12-2010, 12:15 AM
^ There's gentle nail polish remover etc out there, eh?

*ahem* your Canadian is showing....eh....*smiles*

Dimpledapple
07-12-2010, 02:54 PM
Love those nails, dimpledapple! I too love nail polish, but find that the remover stuff weakens the nails almost immediately, and takes all the shine off the natural nail.

So I don't wear the polishes too often....but I do love to dress up my fingers when I'm selling my handmade soaps at a craft show.

Thanks! I hear you on the remover. I almost always use non-acetone nail polish remover, and although it takes a bit more work to remove all the polish, it's definitely more gentle on your nails. Afterward, I wash my hands thoroughly to remove any remover residue and then apply my cuticle cream and whatnot. I have very brittle nails but have found that these extra steps really help!

N0obKnitter
07-14-2010, 12:22 AM
*ahem* your Canadian is showing....eh....*smiles*

Hoser. :roflhard:

sissyv
07-14-2010, 02:43 AM
Hoser. :roflhard:

We're not all hosers eh!:shrug: