KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   What's the relationship with Ravelry? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100266)

Loopdeloop 08-10-2010 02:45 PM

What's the relationship with Ravelry?

So, does Knittinghelp have an official relationship with Ravelry, or is it more that people cross both websites?

Just curious. I'm still pretty new to both, but so far I've preferred this place to Ravelry for the forums though I like the stash, queue, and database of patterns at Ravelry.

I noticed that Ravelry has an option in the profile for people to list their username here and that there are a lot of people here who have links in their signatures to their Ravelry profiles or blogs or whatever. So I was just curious....

Jan in CA 08-10-2010 04:56 PM

Quote:

I've preferred this place to Ravelry for the forums though I like the stash, queue, and database of patterns at Ravelry.
That's the relationship. As far as I know we have no other one. Even though those of us here prefer KH for the forums and our homely friendly feel most of us use Rav for the reasons you listed. :thumbsup:

Thanks for telling us about being able to list our user name for KH on Ravelry! I didn't now about that so I've just updated mine! I often get friend requests, but so many people change their user name that half the time I have no idea who they are! Mine is similar, but not exact because Rav didn't allow spaces at least at the time I joined.

suzeeq 08-10-2010 05:03 PM

The same people use both websites. I've also encountered people on Ravelry from the craftster and knittyboard forums as well.

We're something like your local yarn shop where you can sit down and chat and feel comfortable, while Ravelry is more like a convention. You do meet people there, including well known pattern designers, and chat with them, but it's huge.

N0obKnitter 08-10-2010 05:14 PM

I vastly prefer the format of this message board to the one Rav uses, this is much easier to use and makes more sense to my brain/eyeballs.

Loopdeloop 08-11-2010 09:18 AM

That makes sense.

I've mostly only poked around at Ravelry, but I've found a lot of the how-to questions there for beginners like me get a lot of answers that are like, "*sigh*. Don't you get it by now?" or just unhelpful. Maybe it's better for more experienced knitters requiring some specific help with a complex pattern, or maybe I'm poking around the wrong forums.

I don't mean to make this a Ravelry-hate post because it's not. I do like a number of their features, but I haven't yet figured out how best to make Ravelry work for me, though I was pointed to a specific group for another website I belong to (not a knitting website) that I expect will be fun.

Viewing Ravelry as a convention and KH as the local yarn shop is a really excellent way of looking at it. Thanks!

suzeeq 08-11-2010 09:41 AM

You're hanging out on the wrong groups. There's a couple for new knitters and everyone's very patient in explaining things until the poster gets it.

Loopdeloop 08-11-2010 10:08 AM

It may be I am.

But I only poke around a little over there.

suzeeq 08-11-2010 10:31 AM

Check out Newer Knitters and Help for new knitters.

Jan in CA 08-11-2010 12:36 PM

OR just stay here and ask your questions! We are always nice and friendly!:yay: Use Rav for patterns and yarn searches. :thumbsup:

SweaterMonkey3 08-11-2010 01:00 PM

I'm on both boards, and love Ravelry! For me, both boards work well off of one another, as Ravelry has all the different groups to join, and KH has videos, etc.

There's a KH group on Ravelry as well. cloud9