KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   What'cha Knittin'? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Some Small Projects (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100653)

NorthernIrelandKnitter 09-08-2010 06:58 AM

Some Small Projects

As well as my purple project I have some smaller items otn which may or may not turn out to be Christmas gifts. These are: a wrist cuff/mug warmer in rainbow acrylic yarn, designed by Kelly Klem to be knit in the round on 2 straight needles; a round wash cloth knit on 2 straight needles in white cotton; a round coaster again knit on 2 straight needles but in dark pink cotton; and, finally a phone cover, also knit in the round on 2 straight needles in red acrylic yarn.

Progress is slow as I don't knit often, but I am getting there bit by bit.

Gillian

kmaclean 09-08-2010 09:17 AM

Sounds like you have a lot on the go! I have to try to keep myself to one or two projects at a time or else I never finish anything! :rofl:

Can't wait to see some pics once you're finished!

hyperactive 09-08-2010 11:07 AM

I used to think I had to finish one project and then the next, then i turned a multi-knitter and feel happy with it.
Small projects I finish quickly (most the time) but I do often have 2,3 or 4 things - sometimes more - kicking around in various stages.

Have fun finishing all those.

I will soon do phone covers, too. (but have so many other projects going on already...)

ArtLady1981 09-09-2010 03:51 AM

Keep up your efforts! You'll make it! You always do!

BTW, how does one 'knit in the round' on 2 straight needles????

ArtLady1981 09-09-2010 03:51 AM

hyperactive 09-09-2010 05:00 PM

I understood she is making things that are to be knit in the round, but she is making them on 2 straight needles... maybe I was all wrong?

NorthernIrelandKnitter 09-14-2010 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArtLady1981 (Post 1299815)

Basically, you just work a stitch and slip a stitch alternately across the row. Casting on and binding off are a little more complicated.

Gillian

NorthernIrelandKnitter 09-14-2010 03:55 AM

Ps I should say that for a phone cover the cast-on is as normal. It's the open tube cast-on that is a bit more difficult.

Gillian

hyperactive 09-14-2010 05:50 AM

That is interesting, really. I mean it is kind of logical and just consequent, but still.. I have probably not seen anybody do it for a whole project.

All I have ever seen this for is a hem cast off (garnstudio has a video for this).

Why do you do this technique? Do you not have anything but straight needles (would be way cheaper to just stay with one style, really), do you not like the other methods to work in the round? Or do you just love to confuse us? :)

aprilbetty 09-14-2010 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorthernIrelandKnitter (Post 1300186)
Basically, you just work a stitch and slip a stitch alternately across the row. Casting on and binding off are a little more complicated.

Gillian

I guess that is called "double knitting?" I have done several bunny blankets (small baby "lovies") and the bunny head is done with that technique.