KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Stuck with pattern.. need help (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101288)

Prajakta 10-27-2010 12:29 PM

Stuck with pattern.. need help

Hi
I am knitting a rug. And intially 4 rows are just garter stitch. Then 1 row is purl. After this row the following pattern begins. And I am not v sure if I understand it

Using 3.75mm needle, start to work
the woven pattern. Using B, * insert the tip of
the right hand needle through the first stitch
as if to purl, knit the 2nd stitch and leave on
the needle, then knit the first stitch through the
back of the loop, slip both stitches tog from the
left hand needle; rep from *

Please help

Prajakta

hyperactive 10-27-2010 12:38 PM

Hi!
this is a funky stitch. I will have to try it with some yarn if I want to make better words up for it.

But basically you are working stitch 2 through stitch one, then work stitch one and then take them off the needle.

right needle goes through stitch one, grabs the front leg of stitch 2 and knits it. Nothing leaves the left needle. But one stitch is made on the right needle.
then you take your right needle out of the stitches on the left (but leave those original stitches there). Put the right needle back into the first stitch on the left needle and knit that through the back loop.

NOW take stitches 1 and 2 off the left needle. Keep doing this thing over.

I have not tried it out. Just different words for what is written there.

Prajakta 10-27-2010 12:43 PM

Thanx
U have made it much simpler... i guess i need to try it too to understand it better... i m confused at the back loop part rt now
also will this not increase the no of original stitches?

MerigoldinWA 10-27-2010 01:45 PM

What hyperactive said is very close but one important part is wrong.

Put the RHN (right hand needle) into the first stitch purl wise, but don't do anything to that first stitch, just go through it. Go into the second stitch in the normal way and knit it to the point where you have pulled up a new stitch loop, but don't take anything off the LHN (left hand needle) yet. Now you have one st loop on the RHN and a strand from going through the first stitch, you also have 2 loops going over the LHN. Don't take the RHN out of the stitches (this is where she was off) or everything you've done comes undone. Instead you must rotate the RHN tip around until it is behind the LHN and put the tip of the RHN into the first stitch on the LHN right to left, and knit it there. Now you take the whole works off the LHN, and you have 3 stitch loops on the RHN. So this is an increase. You change 2 stitches into 3 stitches. You will probably do something on the next row to get the stitch count back down.

This explanation covered how to do the knit through the back loop that you wondered about.

This is kind of tricky, but not too bad if you knit loose enough. If you knit real tight I think it will be very difficult.

hyperactive, you did a good job for not having the yarn and needles in hand.

Prajakta 10-27-2010 03:33 PM

hi
Thnx for the help.. But I m not sure about the increase part.. As it is a rug.. Nd i m not sure whether it shud have an increase/ decrease pattern.. nxt few rows are as follows .. I am confused thr also.. will u have a look?

Row 7:
Using 5mm needle and B purl.

Row 8:
Using 3.75mm needle and B, k1, *knit
2nd st through first st, then knit first st in back
of loop as before; rep from * across row to last

st, k1.
The last 4 rows make up the woven patt and
should be rep until row 71 changing cols thus:

MerigoldinWA 10-27-2010 08:30 PM

Hi Prajakta, what I said before must be all wrong. :eyes: With the pattern like that over the 4 rows you wouldn't want an increase. Also doing what I said didn't make any kind of a woven look of any kind, and not even interesting looking in the least. :lol:

So I started trying to figure out how to do what they say and not make an increase. I thought maybe hyperactive was going in the right direction when she said take the needle out, after all. Maybe you take the needle out and don't put it back loop you went "through", but put it back in the remaining loop and then knit the first stitch through the first loop. :?? But they don't seem to be saying that and if they wanted that you could accomplish the same thing by slipping over the first stitch and knitting the second and then knitting the first stitch through the back loop.

I tried that: skip the first stitch and knit the second, then go back and knit the first stitch through the back loop. If you do that and then purl a row and then offset it by knitting one and doing it again you at least get something interesting going on, and it looks a little "woven" maybe. But I have no idea if that is what they intend. Probably not.

You might try that and see what you think of it. Do you have a picture of what the finished stitch is supposed to look like that is good enough for us to see it very well?

The short answer is that I have no idea what they want you to do. :lol:

suzeeq 10-27-2010 10:44 PM

These are making twist stitches. But you put the needle through both sts, knit the 2nd st only then knit the first st.

Prajakta 10-28-2010 08:11 AM

Sorry Sue, I dint get wat u said...
Here is the link to the pattern

http://www.nationalknittingweek.co.u...tternHome1.pdf

suzeeq 10-28-2010 08:57 AM

They're twisted sts. This part -
"Using B, * insert the tip of the right hand needle through the first stitch as if to purl, knit the 2nd stitch and leave on the needle, then knit the first stitch through the back of the loop, slip both stitches tog from theleft hand needle; rep from *" - means to put the R needle into the first st as though you were going to purl it, but twist the needle to knit the 2nd st, leave them on the needle and knit the first st through the back leg. That completes the stitch.

The next part -
"k1, *knit 2nd st through first st, then knit first st in back of loop as before; rep from * across row to last st, k1."
- is the same but you do a k1 to begin the row.

Prajakta 10-28-2010 11:14 AM

Are there any videos on this.. I saw one demo.... but it uses only 1 stitch..