KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   knitting with thin yarn (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101381)

Audrey79 11-03-2010 10:47 AM

knitting with thin yarn

I bought some yarn that is almost as thin as thread to make a shawl with. I've tried to start a number of times, but it looks like a snarled mess each time. Is there some trick to using this type of yarn? I'm using size thirteen needles, too. I seem to have an easier time with smaller needles.

Jan in CA 11-03-2010 11:25 AM

If you tell us the name of the yarn and give a link to the pattern (if you're using one) it helps when asking questions.

If you are not using a pattern you might want to try using smaller needles. That's awfully large even for lace. What stitch are you doing?

Audrey79 11-03-2010 12:03 PM

It is just knits and yarnovers. Cast on three stitches. Then knit, yarnover, knit, till you get 40 stitches. I am at work so I don't have the yarn label in front of me. I'll have to repost with that information.

Jan in CA 11-03-2010 12:18 PM

Okay, it sounds like you're making a triangle shawl/scarf. If you're using fingering or lace weight yarn size 13 needles is probably a bit large and makes it more difficult. I knit a lacy scarf recently and use fingering weight and a size 8 needles.

Another thought is what material the needles are. If they are metal fine yarns are harder to knit at first. A lot of people find that using wood is easier for yarns like that, but it does depend on the fiber, too.

Audrey79 11-03-2010 12:25 PM

I don't like using metal needles, so I'm already using wood. I'll try the smaller needles. Everything looked so messy and the stitches didn't seem to be the same size. I wonder if I am up to this! I'm going to check the yarn label when I get home.

Jan in CA 11-03-2010 12:29 PM

Your uneven stitches may be due to the needle size. When the stitches are loose they have more of a tendency to move around. You may be able to block it when you're done to even them out some, too.

suzeeq 11-03-2010 12:44 PM

Size 13 US or UK? A UK 13 is the equivalent of a US 1 so that should be okay. A US 13 though is just a bit too large, try a US 8 and that will make it lacey.

Audrey79 11-03-2010 02:18 PM

The yarn is Plymouth Fantasy Naturale 100% cotton.

Audrey79 11-03-2010 02:19 PM

I'm using US 13. It is so hard to knit that yarn. It doesn't look even no matter how tight or loose I try to knit.

suzeeq 11-03-2010 02:34 PM

Well the 13s aren't going to help much. Try a size 5 to 8 needle and see if that's better. You do want a loose knit for a shawl, not tight like you would for socks or even a sweater.

eta - Oh, if it's a worsted weight, then maybe go for an 11, a 13 can work for a lacier look though. Also, wash and lay out what you've got knitted, that will even out the sts.