KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pattern Central (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   shape raglan armhole and decrease help (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101868)

klkiddoo 12-05-2010 11:06 AM

shape raglan armhole and decrease help

I've loved viewing this great forum for quite some time, and with a little searching, can usually find the answer to my questions.....I am crying 'uncle' this morning.
1. I am making an open cardigan, and currently working on the left front. I understand when I initially bind off 3 to start the armhole, but am wondering what to do with the bind off 0 (zero) at beg of following row. I guess in the past I have just done the add'l row as in pattern, without binding any off. Is this correct?
The bulk of the front ends at row 70, or WS, which is how the pattern states. When I go to the shape armhole, however, it has:
bind off 3 sts at beg of next row (which would be RS-row 71)
then 0 sts at beg of the following RS row (which would be row 73)
Work 3 rows even, end on WS (so I would do 74, 75, 76 in pattern)
Does this sound correct?

2. When I get to the DEC ROW (RS), I understand the decreases and when to do them. I just want to make sure that, in general, I understand decreases in a pattern.
For example, if I am working with 50 sts, and eventually end up binding off 6 from one side, I now have 44 sts. When I work the next RS, I would ignore my first 6 sts in the pattern, and begin on the 7th st. (Essentially working backward from the center point). Is this correct, or have I been doing it wrong all along?

I know how helpful you all are, so I am very excited to hear from you. After much ripping out/starting over, I have 2 beautiful sleeves, and am crossing my fingers that I have not gotten in over my head. I'm usually more of a scarf/afghan/anything that doesn't need to fit knitter:)
Kristin

suzeeq 12-05-2010 11:24 AM

Do nothing when it says 0 in an instruction, go on to the next line. So you've interpreted it correctly.

Yes, when you dec, you begin the pattern on the st that's now the first st of your knitting, rather than the first st that's in the pattern.

klkiddoo 12-05-2010 11:26 AM

Thanks for your response....just to be clear, when I "do nothing" on row 73, I don't skip the row in the pattern, I just ignore the bind off, right?

suzeeq 12-05-2010 11:38 AM

Right, ignore the 'instruction' on that row. You have to work the WS row for the rest of it to work out.

I'm going to delete your other post in the How To forum as it's a duplicate of this one.

klkiddoo 12-05-2010 12:08 PM

Yes-thanks for deleting the other post. Sorry for any confusion...
I am trying to sit down w/paper and pencil to chart out my course and think that I see where I really have a question about working with the pattern in a decrease.
As I find the rows to decrease (RS), I figure out how many fewer stitches I have and then count that many into the pattern to start my row.
As I go to the WS rows, though, I have just been starting the row as always and I don't think that is right. For example, after I have done the bo 3, I count in 3 to start the next RS row, but do I also count in on the following WS row or do I start these as the pattern states.
Should I be leaving the markers in place? Maybe that is what is confusing me?! Thanks so much!

suzeeq 12-05-2010 12:37 PM

If you BO or dec at the edge where the WS row starts, then yes, start the pattern that many sts from the edge. If you haven't, then you don't need to change anything. Since you're working on a front, you may not be doing any BOs or decs on the front edge until you get to the neck shaping, but not any for the underarm/sleeve shaping.