KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   trouble with the pattern (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101971)

mar4321 12-13-2010 10:35 AM

trouble with the pattern

I am currently starting an afghan. I have made it before but along time ago. This is the instruction that I am having trouble with.
(sl 1 wyib, k 1, yo, psso the k st and yo st) twice . Any help would be appreciated.

cacunn 12-13-2010 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mar4321 (Post 1307817)
I am currently starting an afghan. I have made it before but along time ago. This is the instruction that I am having trouble with.
(sl 1 wyib, k 1, yo, psso the k st and yo st) twice . Any help would be appreciated.

Let me see if I can help while we wait for an expert.

- sl 1 wyib,
With the yarn in back (wyib) slip 1 stitch for the left to right needle.
- K1
Knit one stitch

- yo (see help videos for more information on YO http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/increases look at the bottom of the page.

Yarn over - warp yarn around the needle as if you had knit a stitch

- psso K st and yo st
pass slipped stitch over (PSSO) both the knit stitch and the yarn over stitch. Insert your left needle under the passed over stitch and lift it up - over the next two stitches on your right needle (the knit and yo stitch) and off the needle.

- twice
repeat the above steps for a total of two times.

This is my take on these steps.

Jan in CA 12-13-2010 12:41 PM

Are you having trouble understanding the terms are the actually knitting of it? We have a glossary tab at the top of the page if it helps.

Looks like Chris gave you the answers, but lets see....

Quote:

(sl 1 wyib, k 1, yo, psso the k st and yo st) twice .
Sl 1 wyib - The working yarn will be in back as if you're going to knit ...slip one stitch from left need to right as if to knit.

k1 - knit one stitch

yo - yarn over which means bring the yarn to the front between the needles

Psso - 'pass slipped stitch over' - it's asking you to pass the slipped stitch over the k1 and the yo. You do this by carefully sticking the left needle into the slipped stitch (3rd stitch from point) and lifting it over the two stitches and dropping it off the needle.

suzeeq 12-13-2010 03:02 PM

This is a decrease, so the stitch should be slipped as if to knit, the tips will not be point to point.

Jan in CA 12-13-2010 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzeeq (Post 1307830)
This is a decrease, so the stitch should be slipped as if to knit, the tips will not be point to point.

Ahh..didn't know that. I corrected my post.

cacunn 12-13-2010 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzeeq (Post 1307830)

I need clarification, because I don't see this as a decrease?

(sl 1 wyib, k 1, yo, psso the k st and yo st) twice

You start with two stitches.
Slip the first
Knit the second
Yarn over would give you a third stitch.

When you pass the slip stitch over the Knit and Yarn Over you drop one stitch. However, don't you still have knit stitch and yarn over on the needle.

I am so CORNfused?

:guyknitting::shrug:

Jan in CA 12-13-2010 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cacunn (Post 1307832)
I need clarification, because I don't see this as a decrease?

You're right, it doesn't increase, but the technique is used as a decrease often. Here it'll just be used as part of the design. Right, Sue?

suzeeq 12-13-2010 03:53 PM

Well, technically it doesn't decrease the actual st number because of the YO. But you still pass the sl st over the others and in order for it not to be twisted it needs to be slipped knitwise....

The general slip st rule is - if you're going to work with it again on the same row, sl knitwise; if you're not, slip purlwise.

cacunn 12-13-2010 03:58 PM

Thank you I know that PSSO is generally used as a decrease, but in this case I was afraid I was not counting stitches correctly or totally missed something.

Good I can go back to sleep until it is time to leave work.

suzeeq 12-13-2010 05:11 PM

Since you're passing the sl st over, whether it actually decs a st or not doesn't really matter. If you did it as sl 1 k1 psso, yo, you would also have the same number of sts too.