KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   A question (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102012)

usamacka 12-16-2010 02:24 AM

A question

Does anyone knit at red lights? I do. Especially this time of year when I am harried to finish knitting for gifts.

NorthernIrelandKnitter 12-16-2010 07:29 AM

No. I only knit in the car when someone else is driving and when I am driving my knitting would be in the back. Besides, if I tried knitting at the red light the lights would probably change mid stitch or something.

I might consider knitting in the driver's seat if I was stuck in a long traffic jam.

Gillian

kmaclean 12-16-2010 09:14 AM

Knitting while driving?? I hadn't really thought about it, but given the amount of traffic here in Toronto I think it would be rather dangerous! Plus, it would drive me nuts having to pick up/put down my knitting constantly. :gah:

I do sometimes knit in the car during longer trips if someone else is driving though ....

Breezed 12-16-2010 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usamacka (Post 1308034)
Does anyone knit at red lights? I do. Especially this time of year when I am harried to finish knitting for gifts.

Aaahhh, you are that person that sits through an entire red light then half the green light too, from not paying attention!!!

Jan in CA 12-16-2010 02:04 PM

No, I don't. Some red lights drive me nuts, but I wait till I get home. I'm sure I'd toss it down and lose a few stitches or forget what I was going.

RuthieinMaryland 12-16-2010 03:22 PM

Safety first...

Hi! :waving:

There's a great deal of debate these days over making cell phone use while driving illegal. Although most of us have become accustomed to chatting while we drive it's become very clear that one second's inattention can have disastrous results.

And it's not just the actual speaking on the phone that's the culprit. It's that one's attention goes to the subject of the conversation and away from what's happening on the road, even after the call is disconnected.

So far I've avoided hurting myself or others through that kind of inattention and with all the media attention this subject gets I'm even more watchful about driving when I'm driving and doing nothing else.

In thinking of all my knitting friends here on the forum I'd urge you to save the wonderful experience of knitting for when you're not in what's been called one of the most dangerous places on earth - the highway!

Bless you all and have a wonderful, safe holiday season!

Ruthie :hug:

kittykins 12-16-2010 03:47 PM

Well said Ruthie!:yay:

Jan in CA 12-16-2010 04:38 PM

Ruthie...I think she's only talking about knitting at red lights not while actually driving. :thumbsup:

ArtLady1981 12-17-2010 05:24 AM

I have. Especially at rush hour...it helps pass the time, and boredome.

hyperactive 12-17-2010 04:05 PM

oh no! In the passenger seat, yes, I have knit there... and I will again.
But in the driver seat? Oh, no!
ok, when I am parked and waiting (like for the ferry this summer... 3 hours!), and in a trafic jam that REALLY stands still.... I might.

My reasoning: when the car is turned off: you can knit. When you are within trafic (even when standing): Knitting (and all other crafts) are OFF LIMITS!

please, keep your hands ready for the wheel.

My brain, though, uses long drives to design knitting patterns, think up technical stuff and work out the most complex knitting questions.