KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   What a sad turn of events.... (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102860)

Feef 01-18-2011 11:01 PM

What a sad turn of events....

Here I sit in a hospice, next to my best friend for the past 10 years. We had a long distance friendship, having met on the internet at a pet care website. She taught me to knit by phone and internet.

When her cancer returned and she started another round of chemo, she asked me to knit her a chemo cap, which I begrudgingly did for her. She's a master knitter, and I consider myself as either an advanced beginner or perhaps intermediate knitter. I was so intimidated by her skills that it was hard to knit that cap for her...and of course, for the reason I was knitting it. But knit it I did. I knit it when we thought she'd lose her hair, not die.

She's dying of cancer at 55 years old and was admitted to hospice 2 weeks ago. Her husband flew me here to MD (from CA) at her request to be with her as her friend, to teach me the things I want to learn before she can't teach anymore, and because I'm a nurse.

My friend is dying, my teacher is dying, and I'm so lost in the anticipatory grief of it tonight that I don't know where to turn.

Her name is Nancy. If those of you who pray could pray for a painless death for her, that will be very much appreciated.

CoolWool 01-18-2011 11:30 PM

Oh no!! I don't even know what to say. That's so horrible... she's so young... what kind of cancer is it? :cry:

Feef 01-18-2011 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoolWool (Post 1312550)
Oh no!! I don't even know what to say. That's so horrible... she's so young... what kind of cancer is it? :cry:

Thank you. She has carcinosarcoma, it started as advanced cervical cancer that spread to her lymph nodes and is now in her colon.

She's in the process of knitting a sweater for her husband, she's asked me to take the project home and finish it for him. I've never knit a sweater before. The body is almost done, and I know how to pick up stitches, but will need help with it. Her husband also asked me to finish it for him. :/

Jan in CA 01-19-2011 12:23 AM

Oh Feef..I'm so sorry! Your story brought tears to my eyes. My heart goes out to you and her and her family. :hug:

luvmykid28 01-19-2011 12:25 AM

I have said a prayer for your friend, her DH and you. Finish that sweater and let the love be knit throughout the sweater. It will be a beautiful tribute to all of your lives.

salmonmac 01-19-2011 07:27 AM

Dear Feef, You are doing something very difficult and doing it very well. You have my thoughts and prayers. And of course you'll have all the help that the knitters here can offer in finishing that sweater.
All the best.

mspwrz 01-19-2011 11:09 AM

Prayers for a peaceful passing and the peace that passes understanding for you and her family. May God's hand be on you all!

cindycactus 01-19-2011 11:35 AM

You have my sympathy and prayers. I am crying just now because I know what you are feeling. I went through this with my younger sister. I just wanted a peaceful and pain free death for her too. There is just too much cancer in this world. I know you will get some peace by knitting this sweater for her husband. Bless you.:pray:

twoxover 01-19-2011 01:39 PM

feef-all good thoughts and prayers to your friend, her family and to you....

Wanda Witch 01-19-2011 01:51 PM

My thoughts and prayers for strength and courage to each one of you suffering through this tragedy. Your dear friend's friendship will be with you and the memories the two of you shared always.