KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   How I use and make linked markers (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102880)

Jan in CA 01-19-2011 07:22 PM

How I use and make linked markers

1 Attachment(s)
Jack sent me a PM to remind/ask me to describe the linked markers I use. These aren't my invention, but I'll pass the info on to you.

As you can see from the attached photo I make them with split rings. I either just use my thumbs or a pliers..whatever is handy. Once I make them I tend to keep them as they are and if I need a different number I make a new one. I put beads on the bottom so I know which is the top.

These come in really handy for something that you don't do every row, but you want to be done on a specific row. Like cabling for instance - if you want to twist the cable every 6 rows you'd use a 6 ring marker. I place the marker in a few stitches on the row so it won't fall off. I have also placed it on the previous row at the end (1 stitch in).

Each time you come to the marker you pick up the next loop with your right right needle and keep on knitting. If it's the loop with the bead you know it's time to do the cable cross (or whatever).

I've actually got a linked marker that I'm using right now that is long and has a bead at the end and another midway down because I'm doing two different things that require two different number of stitches. It's a little trickier to use, but I've done this enough it's pretty easy.

Any questions?

Michaele 01-19-2011 07:43 PM

That's a really neat tip! Thanks for posting it.

cacunn 01-19-2011 08:26 PM

I have been using linked marker since I started knitting. I find them very handy since I have limited knitting time. I may to be able to knit one or two rows/rounds in a day. It may be a couple of days before I can pick up my knitting again. With linked markers it is easy to tell where I am in the pattern.

Increase/decrease every other row calls for a two ring marker. Increase every time the beaded ring is picked up I need to increase/degrease. If I put the piece down for a week, when I pick it up I look at the marker, if the marker on the needle does not have bead, I know the last round/row was a plain knit and the next round/row will be a increase/decrease round/row.

If it is a complicated pattern where one part of the pattern changes every 5 rows and another part of the pattern changes every 7 row, I may use two different markers, one with 5 rings and another with 7 rings.

Simple to make, easy to use.

Thanks Jan in CA

kmaclean 01-20-2011 10:29 AM

That's a really neat idea .... I never would have thought of doing that on my own! I think I remember you mentioning this a while back, but I guess the idea didn't stick since I didn't have the same use for them when I was starting out as I would now ... Thanks for bringing it up again! :muah:

Mirl56 01-20-2011 12:58 PM

You've described this before. Being lazy, I've done the same thing with the plastic safety pins and put a solid ring marker at the end as the 'charm'.
http://www.patternworks.com/productd...NG-MARKERS.htm
and
http://www.patternworks.com/productd...ER-MARKERS.htm
Not a pretty, but it works.

I have gone as far as buying a pack of your split rings, I see them looking at me everytime I'm digging around for some markers. Next time I want to use this type of row counter, I'm going to open it up!!

cacunn 01-20-2011 02:22 PM

I like the split rings because I can get them close to the size of the needle I am using. I find that if the marker is a lot larger than the needle that I get ladders or larger stitches.

Mokumegane 01-20-2011 10:07 PM

You mentioned you use split rings... wouldn't that be hard to get out of the yarn when you needed to repeat? Split rings are like the ring you have on your keychain... you're sure they're not jump rings? Jump rings would be like split rings, only they don't overlap each other... you would open them with pliers or your finger, then close them. I know this because I do jewelry and maille items... lol... not only a knitter. If you're having problems finding the correct sizes, you can order online. However, theringlord.com (my favorite place to get them) sells by the ounce. Aluminum is cheap, though... a few dollars per ounce, really. You can also buy wire at the store, if you can find something around 18-22 gauge, then buy a wooden dowel at the correct size, wrap the wire around, then either use a saw with a very thin blade or use wire cutters to cut the coil into jump rings (or even split rings). If you use wire cutters, you end up getting a join area that looks like |< instead of || and it could snag things. Hmm... I think I have pictures...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Alright, I know... I didn't have a picture of just a jump ring but do you see near the clasp how there's a few rings you can see nearly the whole thing? They look like an O, with a single wire for the entire thing and it doesn't overlap at all.

cacunn 01-21-2011 09:50 AM

I stand corrected, or sit corrected. I use jump rings.

Mokumegane 01-21-2011 10:16 AM

Lol, yeah, I was a little confused... You can buy the jump rings already made at theringlord.com in any color and metal you want, as well as size. Aluminum would work for this, though, and if it's not the cheapest, it's very close. Seriously... around three dollars for about five hundred or whatever... it's a lot when you're doing something like this. You can make several markers this way. Now, ID is inner diameter and it's typically in inches, I believe. They cater to use silly people in the USA, who don't conform to the rest of the world lol... even though they're Canadian (ringlord is). I suggest the saw cut ones over the others, so you don't have that pinch on one side. Also, if you buy enough over time (it just keeps accruing) you get a free gift card to buy free stuff with! It's not a whole lot but hey, it's better than nothing! I've found them to give me exactly what I wanted for the price I saw, shipped in the time mentioned, etc. I've never had a problem with them. Also, they keep track of all your orders, even when they're already sent to you, etc. You can always look things up in your account to see past stuff you've bought. You can use past orders to order again (if you want to order the same thing again) set up a wish list, make different lists of stuff to save on the site where you can easily choose one, then check-out and order.

Oh, they also have riveted rings, which are jump rings that have a hinge on the side opposite from the opening... that way, you don't have to worry about opening them wrong. Normal jump rings, you have to open them so they look like a spiral- you have to pass the ends by each other, basically. If you don't, you warp the ring and it pretty much becomes useless and ugly. :s

ArtLady1981 01-21-2011 01:07 PM

I think I'll try this for keeping track of things like a 12 row repeat! Thanks, Jan!