KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   Charity Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   CAT AND DOG BEDS!!!! (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102988)

thisisme7899 01-25-2011 09:27 AM

CAT AND DOG BEDS!!!!

HI! My name is Moriah and I have a place in my heart for strays and foster children. My family takes care of foster babies, and I was also born into foster care, not for long, but... yea. I almost got my mom to let us try fostering dogs, but that might be more painful then the foster babies. So, I decided, why not knit for strays? Most animal shelters will probably be cool with it! After all, most of the animals sleep on the floor since animal shelters don't have money to buy animal beds! So, Please! Please! Please! Pleeeaseee help me by making animal beds for the animals. This book called "Ghost dog secrets" by Peg Kehret has a cat blanket pattern in the very back. I make this bigger to make a dog bed. I have made several now, and would looooove help!!!!! all you really have to do is decide how many stitches to cast on, and then knit each row in "garter stitch" and do this until you reach desired length. any one in?

TrueIconoclast 01-25-2011 07:12 PM

I'm in

I also do knitting for homeless shelters, but I have a Robin Hood complex, and I feel the animals would help me fufill my need as well. I'm actually making my first dog bed for my dog right now. I'm doing it on 34" circulars; I cast on until I can't fit anymore stitches, and I'm just going to knit it in stockinette (on circulars, that's knit every row) until I feel it's long enough. Then stuff it with some goose down that I have (my down pillow ripped, I didn't want all that expensive down to go to waste, so I'm using it for stuffing other projects) and seam it up.

TrueIconoclast 01-25-2011 07:14 PM

Although if there's no goose down available, batting would work just as well, and it's much cheaper.

cheley 01-25-2011 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thisisme7899 (Post 1313304)
HI! My name is Moriah and I have a place in my heart for strays and foster children. My family takes care of foster babies, and I was also born into foster care, not for long, but... yea. I almost got my mom to let us try fostering dogs, but that might be more painful then the foster babies. So, I decided, why not knit for strays? Most animal shelters will probably be cool with it! After all, most of the animals sleep on the floor since animal shelters don't have money to buy animal beds! So, Please! Please! Please! Pleeeaseee help me by making animal beds for the animals. This book called "Ghost dog secrets" by Peg Kehret has a cat blanket pattern in the very back. I make this bigger to make a dog bed. I have made several now, and would looooove help!!!!! all you really have to do is decide how many stitches to cast on, and then knit each row in "garter stitch" and do this until you reach desired length. any one in?

Do you want it in "pattern"?...

thisisme7899 01-27-2011 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheley (Post 1313384)
Do you want it in "pattern"?...

can you explain that? I am newer at knitting, not so sure with all the "K-ing slang" ;) I like to think that I know alot of them, but, who knows, lol. :lol: So... yea.. what did u mean by "Do you want it in "pattern"?..."

thisisme7899 01-27-2011 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrueIconoclast (Post 1313382)
I also do knitting for homeless shelters, but I have a Robin Hood complex, and I feel the animals would help me fufill my need as well. I'm actually making my first dog bed for my dog right now. I'm doing it on 34" circulars; I cast on until I can't fit anymore stitches, and I'm just going to knit it in stockinette (on circulars, that's knit every row) until I feel it's long enough. Then stuff it with some goose down that I have (my down pillow ripped, I didn't want all that expensive down to go to waste, so I'm using it for stuffing other projects) and seam it up.

Nice!! :yay: If your dog could talk u would hear "I LOVE YOU!!!!" :heart: Thank you! :muah:
is "garter stitch" knit one row, purl one row? or is that stockinette?

And the pattern I talked about, I repeat that after finishing and sew them together to make it softer!

cheley 01-27-2011 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thisisme7899 (Post 1313546)
can you explain that? I am newer at knitting, not so sure with all the "K-ing slang" ;) I like to think that I know alot of them, but, who knows, lol. :lol: So... yea.. what did u mean by "Do you want it in "pattern"?..."

Knitting in "pattern"..would translate to
in "garter stitch" being the "pattern" you posted

cheley 01-27-2011 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thisisme7899 (Post 1313547)
Nice!! :yay: If your dog could talk u would hear "I LOVE YOU!!!!" :heart: Thank you! :muah:
is "garter stitch" knit one row, purl one row? or is that stockinette?

And the pattern I talked about, I repeat that after finishing and sew them together to make it softer!

On straight "needles" knitting back and forth (exchanging needles at the end of your work) would create "garter" stitch..On straight needles knit one row, purl the next row (again switching left and right needles) will create stockinette stitch.

thisisme7899 01-27-2011 03:15 PM

cheley
thanks for the clarification.
The pattern is just knit all rows, until you feel like it is long enough, for a dog or a cat.
Then after you finish it, repeat it so that you have a second one, same size or a few stitches larger if you want to stuff it.
Sew it together, put the stuffing in If you want to.
And then it's done! :woot:
The needles i've been using are size 11 straight needles. They work pretty well. If you want, you can prob. go larger.
Thanks!

cheley 01-27-2011 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thisisme7899 (Post 1313599)
cheley
thanks for the clarification.
The pattern is just knit all rows, until you feel like it is long enough, for a dog or a cat.
Then after you finish it, repeat it so that you have a second one, same size or a few stitches larger if you want to stuff it.
Sew it together, put the stuffing in If you want to.
And then it's done! :woot:
The needles i've been using are size 11 straight needles. They work pretty well. If you want, you can prob. go larger.
Thanks!

You are welcome...Anytime!!:hug:glad to help