KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   knit-in-one-piece booties- help, if you can (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103136)

cair 02-01-2011 10:10 PM

knit-in-one-piece booties- help, if you can

I'm having difficulty reading this pattern ... or understanding what it is asking.... I'll briefly describe the pattern and tell you where I am stuck. I'm sure this is easy to figure out, but I"m a new knitter and need help. ok... here goes.
* cast on 22 sts
*row 1-12 -knit
*row 13, k2, *yo, k 2 tog. Rep. from *
* row 14 knit
Row 1 of instep shaping:
Knit 15, turn.
*Row 2- K 8, turn.
You may pu the other sts on holders, but it is not necessary, as this is such a small article.
Rows 3-15: Knit 13 rows of garter st.
I believe I followed the above directions correctly... but now I don't understand the next bit of info....

Row 16- Pick up and K 8 sts along the left side of instep flap.
K the 7 sts from the needle(the sts held while making the flap);turn

There is another section I don't get either, but I'll start with the above. I know it may be difficult to tell me what to do... so good luck.
Thanks,
cair

Well, I don't get this part... or I can't figure it out.

suzeeq 02-01-2011 11:32 PM

On row 1 of the instep shaping you only k 15 of the 22 sts, and on row 2 you k 8 of those 15. That leaves 7 sts on either side of the 8 center sts which are what you knit for 13 rows. Now you pick up 8 sts down the side of the 13 rows you knit - there's a video on picking up sts on the Tips page. Work you way down to where 7 of the sts are waiting and knit those 7. Then turn to work the next row.

cair 02-02-2011 06:37 AM

knit-in-one-piece booties..

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzeeq (Post 1314222)
On row 1 of the instep shaping you only k 15 of the 22 sts, and on row 2 you k 8 of those 15. That leaves 7 sts on either side of the 8 center sts which are what you knit for 13 rows. Now you pick up 8 sts down the side of the 13 rows you knit - there's a video on picking up sts on the Tips page. Work you way down to where 7 of the sts are waiting and knit those 7. Then turn to work the next row.

Thanks for the info.... I'll try... and let you know if I get it.
I wonder if I'll ever get to understand what a pattern says..
I appreciate your help. Thanks again, cair

mamare 02-02-2011 08:12 AM

booties pattern

i have a problem in this pattern please some one explain it for me
pattern name:Free Baby Mary Jane Booties Knitting
the pattern sitetlc.howstuffworks.com
question:Rejoin yarn where you started binding off 21 stitches. Cast on 12 stitches using cable cast-on method.
and i want to know if there is a video about this kind of rejoining please write down the site,any kind of help is appreciated.........

cair 02-02-2011 09:27 AM

Hi Again,
I went on the video... great to see... also, I own the video, but I did not know about the tips... I hadn't gotten that far in watching it... thank you, thank you, thank you, Sue!
cair

suzeeq 02-02-2011 10:35 AM

To 'rejoin' yarn, you just begin knitting with it at the place indicated, leaving a tail long enough to weave in later. The cable cast on is on the Cast ons page. But insert your needle at the point you're to begin the cast on and wrap the yarn around it - that's the first stitch instead of a slip knot. Then knit into the st but leave it on the needle and put the new stitch on the Left needle too. Then for cable CO, insert your Right needle in between the 2 new sts and wrap the yarn then put the new st on the L needle. Do that until you've got 12 new sts.