KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   What's the strangest medium you've ever used in your crochet/knitting? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103379)

Antares 02-16-2011 09:49 PM

What's the strangest medium you've ever used in your crochet/knitting?

My absolute favorite crocheted project is a vase I made out of drapery cord. The cord is about half an inch thick and very soft. I gave the vase to a really good friend of mine, but now I wish I'd kept it.

I've also crocheted with hemp, which is quite rough on the fingers.

How about you? What strange medium (other than yarn, thread, string, or twine) have you knitted or crocheted into a project?

JLonier 02-19-2011 05:36 PM

I use cooking twine to make beach/grocery bags. :teehee: It's stong and really inexpensive.

Antares 02-22-2011 12:06 AM

That's a great idea, JLonier.

I've thought of using other odd things to crochet with--like telephone cable, but I've not tried it yet.

I've read of someone crocheting cooked spaghetti and then letting it harden into shape. Weird!!

knitcindy 02-22-2011 09:51 AM

I wonder how they keep the spaghetti from breaking apart while working with it??? Sounds waaaay to hard for me!

knitcindy

Jeremy 02-25-2011 11:49 AM

The Yarnharlot posted yesterday about knitting with wool and steel wool together.

TrueIconoclast 02-25-2011 03:16 PM

Boondoggling string

I haven't actually knitted with the Boondoggling string, but I've been considering it for the last month or so.

For those who don't know, Boondoggling string is the rubber or plastic string that kids use to make those lanyards. I wanted to use it to create something that was waterproof, like a poncho raincoat or something.

Antares 02-25-2011 11:42 PM

Steel wool in knitting? Ouch! That sounds like it could be painful. Of course, as I mentioned in an earlier post, I used hemp (very stiff hemp), and my fingers were SO sour after that (but the belt I made was cool looking).

Yeah, crocheting with spaghetti sounds like it would be a sticky, complicated, wet, icky, yucky, unfun mess! And the end results (ear rings, if I recall) were unimpressive (even though they were colored red with food coloring).

Boondoggling string? Hmmm! I hope you find something fabulous to make with it, TrueIconoclast!

chapelsmack 02-26-2011 12:53 PM

I've taken plastic grocery bags and cut them into long strips and knitted with them to make placemats, coasters, etc.

Really cool "upcycling" and very unique, especially when there are different colors. I got the idea from visiting fair trade stores.

VictoiseC 02-28-2011 11:59 AM

Cut up sweat pants. Yup, old sweat pants in strips, to make a circular rug. size 15 needles. It's so much work, it's half done, laying in a bag somewhere. ha. It works thought, if you have enough muscles.

Antares 03-01-2011 11:21 PM

Oh, I just remember one more somewhat oddball thing to knit with! A friend of mine who knits told me I could use rope and needles made from broom handles to make a hammock!

Thanks to everyone who has shared their ideas so far! Very cool!