KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Caron's Simply Soft Collection (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103725)

tannen2004 03-12-2011 09:42 PM

Caron's Simply Soft Collection

Hello all,

Does anyone have any experience with Caron's new line "Simply Soft Collection"? I'm thinking about making a baby blanket with it (love the color selection!) but I'm afraid to use something that's not going to hold up. I've had great experiences with the regular "Simply Soft" for baby blankets so I'm curious how the two compare.

Thanks in advance!

tannen

Jan in CA 03-13-2011 12:41 AM

I don't have experience with it, but it's acrylic like the other Simply Soft yarns so I think it would hold up the same. I like the colors, too!

ArtLady1981 03-13-2011 05:35 AM

Caron's Simply Soft is my favorite acrylic yarn. I'll bet they've just changed the name, trying to update it, and maybe there are just new colors in the "collection".

Here is something they speak to on their website:
"...in a beautiful palette of on-trend colors..." So I think the new colors are the 'new' feature. The formula is still 100% acrylic. They're also offering it in 6oz AND 3oz skeins. Is that a new offer...the 2 sizes?

Did you see the sale at Joann.com??? WOW! It's just $2.79 per 6oz skein!!!!
They seem to have about 9 colors! Oy vey. You could sure knit an outrageous
baby log cabin afghan with this yarn!

I've used Simply Soft for my granddaughters' knits...and years later, and many washings...the sweaters continue to hold up as their passed down to the younger sister.

However, since it's soft...it pills. My daughters don't mind picking off the pills during movie night. Just every so often it's a chore that needs doing.

I wouldn't think a blanket would pill as much.

Breezed 03-13-2011 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArtLady1981 (Post 1318280)
Caron's Simply Soft is my favorite acrylic yarn. I'll bet they've just changed the name, trying to update it, and maybe there are just new colors in the "collection".

Did you see the sale at Joann.com??? WOW! It's just $2.79 per 6oz skein!!!!
They seem to have about 9 colors! Oy vey. You could sure knit an outrageous
baby log cabin afghan with this yarn!

Darn, I just made a big order online for Jo-Ann's because of the yarn sale. If I had known this was a preferred yarn with good reviews, I would have added a bit to my list. But I got plenty of Sugar'n Cream to make my scrubbies and dishcloths finally!! And I bought some other random sale yarns for other projects, some of the 2 for $5. Oh and a book. I never buy books since I have a Kindle but I really wanted a good book of knit stitches and all of the books were on sale and I had an email coupon so it was discounted too! Ok, so I have nothing to contribute to thread except brag on my purchase. :aww:

tannen2004 03-14-2011 10:44 PM

Thanks all! I'm going for it!!!!

ArtLady: I'm glad you thought a log cabin blanket would look nice. That's exactly what I was thinking! (I'm going to try the "Moderne" pattern out of Mason Dixon knitting.) My friend is planning a primary color scheme for her nursery and I thought big blocks of the bold colors in this line would work nicely.

ArtLady1981 03-14-2011 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tannen2004 (Post 1318460)
Thanks all! I'm going for it!!!!

ArtLady: I'm glad you thought a log cabin blanket would look nice. That's exactly what I was thinking! (I'm going to try the "Moderne" pattern out of Mason Dixon knitting.) My friend is planning a primary color scheme for her nursery and I thought big blocks of the bold colors in this line would work nicely.

Oh, yesssssssss! The Moderne Log Cabin is exactly what I envisioned, too! Those new Caron Collection colors make me want to do another one!!! I can't at this time, but I wish.........

janae1987 03-15-2011 09:25 AM

i just bought 4 skeins last night at Wal-Mart - gorgeous colors! i got blackberry and strawberry and am going to use them to make a baby blanket for my friend who is having a little girl in july. thought it would make a nice light weight blanket for late summer/fall.

and im super excited to use my new options that arrived this weekend! :knitting:

Mamaki 02-24-2014 06:43 PM

Caron simply soft yarn

I've crocheted many baby blankets with this wonderfully soft yarn. It holds up very well!! I'm making a blanket now and am almost finished but I'm running out of yarn to finish. Does anyone have a skein of the color mulberry mist that you'd be willing to sell?