KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   steel or bamboo? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103769)

Darby 03-16-2011 01:28 AM

steel or bamboo?

Which do you like better - steel needles or bamboo?

Jan in CA 03-16-2011 02:52 AM

I prefer nickel plated which is metal I guess. I do use bamboo for DPN though. Try them both and see what works for you. :thumbsup:

crazykntter83 03-16-2011 03:03 AM

I haven't tried bamboo yet. But I love my nickel plated needles, which I suppose would qualify as steel. I probably should try some different types of needles, now that I think of it. :)

Mazie 03-16-2011 11:32 AM

Both -- it depends on what I'm knitting. Metal for most things and Bamboo for socks.

ZoeS 03-16-2011 01:05 PM

I've tried all sorts of needles and my favourite is metal. I won't know with anything else now (well, I suppose if I were in an apocalypse situation, I would).

fatoldladyinpjs 03-16-2011 07:10 PM

I have a set of Harmony wood interchangeable needles and don't know how I ever got along without them. Clover bamboo needles are good, too, but I've gotten spoiled on the Knitpicks pointy tips. It makes knitting so much faster. I think I read somewhere that you can't take metal knitting needles on a plane but you can take wood and acrylic ones.

TEMA 03-16-2011 10:05 PM

I have nickel plated in my circulars. My dpns are metal, I guess... the grey things...
But the needles that I really love are my plastic and colourful straights... size 7 and short. Long needles get in my way; the short ones don't and I seem to be able to knit faster and purling is not a pain. ;)
What I love about the nickel plated ones is the sound they make as I knit... so soothing and solid...
TEMA:knitting:

Wanda Witch 03-16-2011 11:13 PM

Love my nickel-plated KnitPicks and also their Harmony needles. I have not tried bamboo as I am so satisfied with the sharp points on the KnitPick needles I don't see a reason to change, at least not at the time being. I suppose it is whatever feels best for the project at hand.

Darby 03-17-2011 12:13 AM

I should have titled it "metal" LOL!! I don't know why I said steel. oh well.... I think you all got the idea :)
I'm knitting up a cardigan now and the yarn is an acrylic/cotton blend and I didn't like using my bamboo needles (while doing swatch). So, I tried a pair of metal ones and LOVE them with this yarn. I have just about every size of circulars in bamboo and now I want metal ones!! Except when doing socks. But I can't afford or see doing that big of a switch. I wish I had the money to buy the addi-clicks set! Someone in my knitting group has a set - looks so handy.
I don't have any problems using my bamboo ones using wool yarns.

crazykntter83 03-17-2011 12:55 AM

Well, the interechangeable set for the nickel plated needles on knitpicks is $69.99. If you were to slowly build on the set, the tips are $5.99 to $9.99. To me, I think that the best deal is just to get the set of needles. But that's just me. :) They're really great needles, and I would highly recommend giving them a try if you really like metal needles. :)