KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   Knit-Alongs (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Summer KAL/CAL - Cotton! (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104827)

Shandeh 06-24-2011 04:12 AM

Summer KAL/CAL - Cotton!

SUMMER CROCHET & KNIT-ALONG
:sun: :grphug: :sun:
It sure is HOT this year in the Southern USA. :hot: :passedout:
We only had about a month that felt like Spring, then Summer temperatures came on with a vengeance. Now, it is officially Summer, and it doesn't look like the high temperatures are going away anytime soon.

I know that some of you might take a break from knitting this time of year, but not me! I prefer to stay indoors for the summer months, and watch tv while knitting or crocheting. And, it is SUCH a relief when Fall finally gets here! cloud9

I don't think I'm the only one who does crafts this time of year. So, I would like to host a little craft-along for those who are knitting and crocheting like me.

There are plenty of pretty cotton yarns available at craft stores and yarn shops. So, I think that cotton would be a fun choice for us to work with. We could make tank tops, or summer shawls, toys, or even dishcloths, coasters and cozies!

Would anyone like to join in a Summer KAL with me?

Shandeh 06-24-2011 06:09 AM

I found my first project!

I'm going to crochet some coasters, using two different yarns in my stash.

Here's the pattern I'm using:
Quick and Easy Coasters

I'll be using a skein of Louisa Harding Nautical Cotton

Louisa Harding Nautical Cotton - Naut 02 by Shandeh, on Flickr
And South Maid Cotton 8 in Coral. I have TONS of that yarn, so I need to use some of it.

Cotton Yarn won on eBay by Shandeh, on Flickr

I think I'll use the coral yarn for the body of the coaster, and add an edging with the Nautical Cotton. This will make the edging a little curly, because it's a thicker yarn.

ShanaHoo 06-26-2011 06:13 PM

I'll play! I've been collecting cotton yarns to do a dishcloth/placemat project for my mom's beach house. I'm off to plan and pick patterns!

Shandeh 06-26-2011 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShanaHoo (Post 1324629)
I'll play! I've been collecting cotton yarns to do a dishcloth/placemat project for my mom's beach house. I'm off to plan and pick patterns!

Awesome! :thumbsup:
Welcome to the Cotton Club! :teehee:

Antares 06-27-2011 10:19 AM

Since I've been having a lot of wrist, arm, hand pain lately, I'll join this KAL/CAL as a shadow participant.

I've already got a dishcloth (or wash cloth) on the needles and a few rows (very few indeed) completed. I'd like to do some more of these little projects like this, but I may have to postpone that until the wrists are feeling better.

Thanks for starting this!

Shandeh 06-27-2011 12:07 PM

Welcome to the KAL! :)

I know how you feel with the wrist pain. I get it sometimes too. Just relax and look at knitting magazines until it gets better.:hug:

Antares 06-27-2011 01:34 PM

I know that only looking at knitting patterns would make my wrists better, but it doesn't make my head any better because then I really really REALLY want to knit something. HA!

Of course, it doesn't help that the other things I do besides knitting (i.e., crocheting, kayaking, and typing for work) don't help matters either.

I think I'll just knit a few rows a day and see how it goes!

Shandeh 06-27-2011 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antares (Post 1324693)
Of course, it doesn't help that the other things I do besides knitting (i.e., crocheting, kayaking, and typing for work) don't help matters either.

I feel your pain (literally!)
My life doesn't help with my wrist pain either. I type on my computer a LOT, because I moderate here, blog for Bernat yarn, and moderate the Bernat Cares Forum as well. I also play piano and organ a lot, because I'm a church organist and piano teacher.

Sometimes, I will take ibuprofen, then place cold packs on my arms, and just watch tv for a while. I've fallen in love with several shows on Netflix.

Shandeh 06-27-2011 04:59 PM

I got out my crochet hook and yarn, so I could start making my coasters. But, I never found my Louisa Harding yarn. Figures! Oh well...the coasters will look fine without a different color border.

I already finished making one! :)

I will post a photo soon.

Shandeh 06-27-2011 09:52 PM

Here's my first coaster!

First Coaster by Shandeh, on Flickr