KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   Crochet! (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   FO: More dish cloth fun (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105381)

Breezed 08-17-2011 09:13 AM

FO: More dish cloth fun

I made all of these Monday/Tuesday. These are a lot of fun, very easy, and no patterns to follow. Yarns and details on Ravelry if anyone is interested.

Does anyone else used the scented yarns? I did for the first time yesterday. The Vanilla Bouquet almost knocked me out. I had a headache so bad by the time I made the one small dish cloth in the sealed baggie. The peach colored cloth is also scented, but it was a lot more pleasant to work with. It wasn't as strong. Very soft, nice smell to it.

Also, the second picture are my crochet scrubbers. I basically used instructions to combine the netting with yarn from ArtLady and applied it here, but with crochet instead of knitting. I broke a hook too! But then I had a reason to buy decent aluminum hooks instead of the cheap plastic one I had. This is in my Ravelry projects as well.

Thanks.

Jan in CA 08-17-2011 01:34 PM

Pretty! :thumbsup:

DogCatMom 08-17-2011 10:22 PM

Nice work!

re. Scented Yarns: in a world with so many people sensitive to fragrances and the like, I was absolutely STUNNED a few months ago to walk by the cotton yarns and smell...something. I thought maybe a woman wearing perfume had just walked by, leaving a cloud of scent behind her, and that it would dissipate momentarily. (I get respiratory seizures--can't breathe in *or* out--when exposed to artificial scent; it's the chemicals used to make them.)

But no such dissipation/evaporation took place. I went carefully down the aisle of yarns and discovered that it was actually the yarn giving off the scent. :gah:

If you're keeping these for yourself, enjoy them! But if you plan to give any as gifts, sleuth out whether the intended recipient(s) are sensitive to fragrances, esp. artificial ones.

DCM

Breezed 08-18-2011 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DogCatMom (Post 1328235)
Nice work!

re. Scented Yarns: in a world with so many people sensitive to fragrances and the like, I was absolutely STUNNED a few months ago to walk by the cotton yarns and smell...something. I thought maybe a woman wearing perfume had just walked by, leaving a cloud of scent behind her, and that it would dissipate momentarily. (I get respiratory seizures--can't breathe in *or* out--when exposed to artificial scent; it's the chemicals used to make them.)

But no such dissipation/evaporation took place. I went carefully down the aisle of yarns and discovered that it was actually the yarn giving off the scent. :gah:

If you're keeping these for yourself, enjoy them! But if you plan to give any as gifts, sleuth out whether the intended recipient(s) are sensitive to fragrances, esp. artificial ones.

DCM

Great advice! I did realize the scented yarns may not be appropriate for some people but it didn't seem so bad in the store. I, myself, have a sensitivity to perfumes and such. I'm not sure what I was thinking. :doh: I sent all of the cloths in the pictures to my mom in Louisiana. I put the scented ones in separate sealed baggies, doubled. I think she will be ok with them, but I did provide a warning. Really the VB is the one that just kills me. I know the scents do fade, so I may just tolerate it the remainder of the yarn to knit a few of my own cloths and wash them several times to see if I can lighten it.

kawaiire 11-24-2011 11:30 AM

awesome

Antares 11-24-2011 07:42 PM

How did I miss seeing this post? These are great looking dish cloths and scrubbies!

But I think I'll steer clear of the scented yarn! That would really set my husband to sneezing, and he does enough of that without me adding to it!

jjccope 01-02-2012 05:31 PM

Does anyone else used the scented yarns?

I bought scented yarn by accident once. IT WAS HORRIBLE! I kept wondering what the awful smell was and where it could possibly be coming from, then laughed out loud when I discovered it was the yarn. It was supposed to be strawberry, but if I had strawberries that smelled like that yarn, I would throw them away! :)

The dishcloths look great!

GrumpyGramma 01-02-2012 10:52 PM

I like your FOs. Pretty colors, bet your mom will be glad to get them.

Scented yarn? I got stinky lavender yarn by mistake, got it home and when I was working with it, I kept trying to figure out where that smell was coming from, it was on my hands and I couldn't figure it out. I finally realized it was the yarn. Never again! What's more, it didn't wash out the first time I ran it through the wash either. Yuck.

energisedbunny 04-08-2012 06:26 PM

Yay, dishcloths! Yours look really nice! I have never heard of scented yarn before, that's really cool!

I recently spent ages on Ravelry looking at all the cool patterns out there, and favouriting heaps of them, lol! I still haven't made any yet but I plan to! :)

salmonmac 04-11-2012 08:24 PM

Oh, those really are fun in all kinds of color. Nicely done.