KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   What'cha Knittin'? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   FO: "Clasica" Jacket (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105631)

ArtLady1981 09-12-2011 02:23 PM

FO: "Clasica" Jacket

Remember that Clasica hooded coat from the 2009 Interweave Knits?
I knit two of them, one for me, one for DD. Anyway, my Clasica is way too big now...and I'm not inclined to frog it and re-knit it. I use it for a camp coat...who cares how sloppy it is, right?

Anyway, here is another Clasica, but shorter this time, no hood, and sleeves are narrower (on purpose, I cast on fewer stitches)! I used what I think a better yarn for this style of coat. The yarn was actually cheaper, too. Not as "heavy" in weight...less likely to stretch southward which makes the sleeves become ape-like.

And here are my Ravely notes, if you care to read about my modifications, trials and tribulations!

PHOTO ABOVE: I worked an "applied i-cord" edge to the Fronts and along the collar the pattern said to crochet an edging, ack) which allows a very unique buttonhole application.

As you work up the Right Front, if you skip picking up about 8 stitches along the edge of the coat, but instead knit up about 8 rows of regular i-cord, the come back to the coatwise applied i-cord technique, you create an i-cord buttonhole loop. These buttonhole loops (or slits if you will) can be made to accommodate any size button...in this case, a GIGANTIC button.

Antares 09-12-2011 08:08 PM

That's a snuggly, beautiful coat you've got there! I'm sorry to hear that you had some trials and tribulations with this pattern/former yarn.

That would make me never want to attempt the same pattern again, but not you! No! You just go do a better version of it.

I hope you get lots of years of enjoyment out of this coat!

salmonmac 09-12-2011 08:24 PM

Beautifully knit and very good looking. It really looks like a perfect combination of yarn, color and pattern. Again.
And you're right, it would be lovely to see you model it. Hurry cool weather!

Olha 09-12-2011 08:44 PM

Lovely! I love gigantic buttons, they create such an interesting accent. For those who didn't see Ravelry notes, please go look at their real size against the palm :)

Enjoy it! :)

ArtLady1981 09-12-2011 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antares (Post 1329714)
That's a snuggly, beautiful coat you've got there! I'm sorry to hear that you had some trials and tribulations with this pattern/former yarn.

That would make me never want to attempt the same pattern again, but not you! No! You just go do a better version of it.

I hope you get lots of years of enjoyment out of this coat!

My main issues with this collared version is "devising" a collar that should have been a hood in it's place! I think I frogged that collar twice, third attempt was good-to-go!

Also wanted (needed) to narrow the kimono-like sleeves, but that impacts the increases. So that was another "work around" to tinker with!

auburnchick 09-12-2011 11:05 PM

Love, love, love this! You are so talented...able to make those adjustments. I simply do not know how you do it!

:cheering:

Breezed 09-13-2011 06:45 PM

Great work! Wow that looks super cozy. I love big, soft, warm coats, although I have no use for them in southwest Florida!!

ArtLady1981 09-14-2011 05:33 AM

You asked for it!

Finished the matching hat at 1:30am. The weather has cooled off, so I got the picture before I changed my mind! I was still roasting!

Olha 09-14-2011 08:28 AM

Oh wow! That looks great on you! I still can't get over the fact that it's a second jacket :) But I have to say, it was definitely worth making it again! :)

I have a somewhat relevant question -- would a thick wool jacket be warm enough for windy cold weather? I am thinking of making them for my kids, of course :) I used to dress them in sweaters and rain coats because of our winds that would blow through anything made out of fabric :)

nonny2t 09-15-2011 08:40 AM

Great looking Jacket and hat!!! Superior work as always. :inlove: