KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   Crochet! (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Beginning Crocheter. (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105756)

EleanorRH 09-24-2011 07:30 PM

Beginning Crocheter.

Hello! I'm quite new to crocheting, and I was hoping some people might have tips for starting out!

DogCatMom 09-25-2011 12:50 AM

Are you looking for books? videos? websites? stitch recommendations? Crochet is a pretty big world unto itself; where would you like to...ah...hook into it?

DCM

Antares 09-26-2011 11:18 AM

My advice: Get some yarn (worsted weight maybe) and a few different sized crochet hooks (sizes recommended for yarn of choice), watch some videos or look at some books to get some direction, and start crocheting.

Everyone learns in a different way, so if one method of teaching yourself doesn't work, try another. Once you learn some of the basic stitches, you can then learn to read patterns. You'll be off and running in no time!

By the way, I tend to learn better if I've set a goal for myself--which is why I dove head first into a project while teaching myself to crochet and to knit. If you get stuck, you can always come here and get help!

Becky Morgan 09-27-2011 12:49 AM

Welcome to the dark side! :teehee: I've crocheted longer than I've knit, and that's fortymumble years...

Get yourself some smooth light-colored inexpensive worsted yarn in a shade you like and find a couple of hooks that look like they'd fit. I know some people start out with tiny hooks and thread, but I wouldn't! You'll be frogging a bunch at first, so I wouldn't use wool unless you have a lot lying around.

You can usually find a set of plastic Susan Bates hooks for maybe three bucks, so that's a good buy, and a Boye hook won't be more than a couple of dollars. They have different head styles and you'll like one better than the other. Try about an H for worsted weight and see if it's too big or small for you. When you figure out which you like best, you can buy fancier hooks, but you'll always be able to use the plain ones. (I have a terrible time with Boye-style hooks, so they usually hang around my knitting to pick up dropped stitches and such.)

A lot of people start with granny squares because they're quick and you can make a lot of things out of them. There are some plain slipper patterns that work well for beginners, stuffed Christmas ornaments are quick, easy and fun, and there are lots and lots of scarf patterns if that's your thing. Do yourself a favor and look up one of the many "how to read a pattern" pages. Crochet also comes with charts, which are great when you work lace. There are lots of videos over at Crochetville.org if you have trouble.

Have fun!

MGM 09-27-2011 05:08 PM

I'd like to invite you to check out Hooked On Needles and click on the Crochet link on the sidebar to find all kinds of video tutorials that might help you get started. Start from the top of the list and go from there. I'd love to know if what you find is helpful!

MGM