KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Garter Stitch trouble with DPN (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106661)

ABC's Mom 11-17-2011 01:11 PM

Garter Stitch trouble with DPN
 
I'm finally finishing my sweater after stopping to do one for my grandson and have to use DPN to finish the sleeves. That's going fine except for the garter stitch at the end. The sweater is a top down and the sleeves are knitted in the round. For some reason on the purl stitch when going from one needle to the new/empty needle it looks like I'm not taking the stitch off the needle when moving on to the next stitch. I've tried several different ways to place the needles but come up with the same thing. I finally gave up on the first sleeve and just purled using 2 needles moving the stitches back to the 3rd when done. That's more work and I know not the right way to do it, but got frustrated. The knitted row is fine. What am I doing wrong????

suzeeq 11-17-2011 01:43 PM

It may be the tip of the needle is getting caught in the yarn between sts. Do you have a picture of it that you can post?

ABC's Mom 11-17-2011 02:51 PM

I'm sorry I don't. I'm working on the second sleeve and haven't gotten to that point yet. It looks like when you knit a stitch and forget to finish the stitch leaving a double loop on the needle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzeeq (Post 1334282)
It may be the tip of the needle is getting caught in the yarn between sts. Do you have a picture of it that you can post?


ABC's Mom 11-17-2011 02:55 PM

Sorry forgot to say it ONLY happens when adding the "new" needle and only in the purl stitch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by yonker4152 (Post 1334283)
I'm sorry I don't. I'm working on the second sleeve and haven't gotten to that point yet. It looks like when you knit a stitch and forget to finish the stitch leaving a double loop on the needle.


Ingrid 11-17-2011 03:37 PM

Sometimes when you do that first purl stitch, the left needle somehow picks up the bar between the stitches. That may be it.

suzeeq 11-17-2011 03:58 PM

Yeah, that's what I was trying to suggest.

GrumpyGramma 11-17-2011 04:54 PM

Quote:

Sometimes when you do that first purl stitch, the left needle somehow picks up the bar between the stitches. That may be it.

I've had that happen with circs when I pull the cable through and start the next set of stitches, was thinking the same thing. Gee, I must be making progress.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:36 PM.


copyright knittinghelp.com