KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   LOVE my Kindle! (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106798)

Jan in CA 11-26-2011 02:48 AM

LOVE my Kindle!

I have the Kindle with special offers and one of the offers was a humor book for $1. I put in the code and it showed me the books to choose from. I chose one that would have been $8.99, but I got it for $1! Sweet!! :yay:

I actually don't mind those special offers at all! If you're considering a Kindle and are hesitating...don't. You only see the ads/special offers as a screen saver and small one on your home screen. I kind of like looking at them especially when they sometimes get me a cheap book! :yay:

Ingrid 11-26-2011 11:33 AM

I always thought I'd prefer paper books, but I got a Kindle in the beginning of the summer and have read more in the past few months than I have in years.

I have the one with the 'ads', too, and it really doesn't matter to me if my screen saver has Oil of Olay on it. It saved me money. I haven't checked out any of their special offers, yet, mainly because I'll spend too much.

Jan in CA 11-26-2011 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingrid (Post 1334973)
I always thought I'd prefer paper books, but I got a Kindle in the beginning of the summer and have read more in the past few months than I have in years.

Exactly! I have, too!

Quote:

I have the one with the 'ads', too, and it really doesn't matter to me if my screen saver has Oil of Olay on it. It saved me money. I haven't checked out any of their special offers, yet, mainly because I'll spend too much.
I have spent more on books, but many of the are the daily deals for a 99 cents, etc. I've found some new authors that way, too!

Northknitter 11-26-2011 09:01 PM

E book

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan in CA (Post 1334959)
I have the Kindle with special offers and one of the offers was a humor book for $1. I put in the code and it showed me the books to choose from. I chose one that would have been $8.99, but I got it for $1! Sweet!! :yay:

I actually don't mind those special offers at all! If you're considering a Kindle and are hesitating...don't. You only see the ads/special offers as a screen saver and small one on your home screen. I kind of like looking at them especially when they sometimes get me a cheap book! :yay:

reading outside, how do you like that on the ebook...also, night reading...what is a cost of a book..

Ingrid 11-26-2011 10:11 PM

Reading outside is awesome. No glare at all. The print is black on white like a regular book. You can also change the font so if the light isn't optimal you can make the print larger if you like.

The price of books varies and there are many classics that you can get for free. Generally, though, I find the price to download cheaper than the actual book. And so much more portable.

You can also get games for it--word games and the like.

The newer version appears to have a lot more applications--check it out at Amazon.

Jan in CA 11-26-2011 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northknitter (Post 1335017)
reading outside, how do you like that on the ebook...also, night reading...what is a cost of a book..

Outside reading is awesome! You can read in direct sunlight with no problem. At nighttime you need a good light or to use a lighted book cover. I bought one when I bought my Kindle. It protects the kindle and it provides light.

ETA: Forgot to add price info... Books do seem to generally be less than a paperback, but not always. I find I'm getting a lot of my books with the Kindle daily deals (I get them on FB) or the other special pricing for various things like the 100 best books for November, etc. A few of the books are lendable, but not many. I keep track for a friend of mine.

There are many choices. The Kindle touch wasn't available when I bought mine, but I don't mind using the page turn on the side of it at all.

I got this one -
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...famstripe_kk3g

With this cover (red!!) -
http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Lighted...W6FP9JKDFNY2TK

JudyD 11-27-2011 08:12 AM

I'm another Kindle lover :heart: :heart: :heart: !!!

I've bookmarked several of the free e-books sites. I've just about given up on our local library...there are always 20 or 30+ people with the e-books on hold.

I have an Amazon Visa and my reward points are dedicated to e-books only. I end up reading a lot of current books for free.

Judy

Jan in CA 11-27-2011 01:45 PM

The library must have a limit of how many books they can check out. It's hard to understand because they are electronic for goodness sake! :lol: If you're a member of Amazon Prime they now have a lending library, too! I haven't joined yet, but will after the holidays.

I do buy books, but as I said they are very often the 99 cent or special deal books. The books from authors my DH and I both read I don't buy for kindle..we buy those in paperback so he can read them, too.

I figure I could have a way worse addiction than than books or knitting so I'm good. :lol:

Ingrid 11-27-2011 02:55 PM

I also like the fact that the books are instantly available. I recently read the series The Game of Thrones. It was fantastic, btw, and I highly recommend them.

If I had been in a position where I'd finished one of the books and couldn't run to the book store or library, I would NOT have been happy. As it was, I downloaded the series and read it like one big book.

Jan in CA 11-27-2011 04:02 PM

I did the same thing Ingrid with the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. They were huge, but I was enjoying them so much I went through all 7 over the summer. :teehee:

One thing that I LOVE with Kindle is you can download a sample first. It's nice to read a little sometimes to see if it's something you really want to pay for.

I've heard of Game of Thrones, but haven't read it. I'll check it out.