KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   What'cha Knittin'? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   FO - MRI Hat (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106930)

Jan in CA 12-05-2011 04:21 PM

FO - MRI Hat

I call this the MRI Hat. I had to have an MRI in November and the only way to keep myself from freaking out was to stay in my head and not think about it. So I "knit"...in my head. The more complicated the better to distract me so I "worked" on some stranded knitting. This is what I was seeing. I went to my knitting group a few days later and started on this. I think it came out pretty cool if I do say so myself! Need to write it up now so I don't forget what I did.

Plymouth Encore from my stash. It's actually a creamy sort of color and dark brown. I took the pic with my phone.

Antares 12-05-2011 04:54 PM

That's a beauty of a hat, Jan, and I must say, you were very productive in your attempts not to freak out.

I'm afraid if I "knitted in my head," I'd be dropping stitches left and right and eventually implode. Better to just do it with my hands!

justplaincharlotte 12-05-2011 05:04 PM

How impressive, and a wonderful hat to top it off! I'm with Antares on what would happen if I knitted in my head...

ChatyKathy 12-05-2011 05:27 PM

I know about them MRI's but at the time of mine I was just trying not to cough...hope it went well and I would love that pattern. It sure is pretty and know some here would love it too! Great job!

Olha 12-05-2011 05:38 PM

Such an interesting idea... I am laughing at your jokes, however I read that if you even envision doing something you get better at it. So, for example, one controlled study showed that people who practiced playing an instrument and just thought about it both demonstrated progress.

And Jan, cool hat!

JudyD 12-05-2011 06:14 PM

Jan:

Your head knits real good and even more impressive given the circumstances...very nice hat!!!

Judy

Jan in CA 12-05-2011 06:23 PM

Thanks! I figure someone is going to ask so the result of the MRI was 4 pinched nerves in my lumbar spine. Yikes. :zombie:

ArtLady1981 12-05-2011 07:36 PM

It's a perfectly perfect hat, Jan! I admire those who can do stranding so evenly, and smoothly!

Jan in CA 12-05-2011 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArtLady1981 (Post 1335734)
It's a perfectly perfect hat, Jan! I admire those who can do stranding so evenly, and smoothly!

Thank you! It just takes practice and a hat is the easiest way to get that IMO. I started out by just playing with patterns on hats. It's not perfect..there is a spot toward the beginning where I wasn't paying attention I guess and it got a little wonky, but the rest of it's pretty good. You just have to stretch the stitches on the right needle out when you do the color that is stranding across to give you some play in the strand. It can stretch on someone's head now and not be tight. I think I'd feel comfortable doing it on a sweater now, but it's a long time coming. Fun learning though!

Antares 12-05-2011 08:06 PM

Thanks for posting the results of your MRI. I realized after I had hit the submit button that I had neglected to ask that most important question. :aww:

I hope you were able to get unpinched--that sounds quite painful!!