KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   What'cha Knittin'? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Drum roll please....completed sock! (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107324)

LoveBugAngel 01-05-2012 03:44 PM

Drum roll please....completed sock!

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you all SO much for being SO patient with me, I would have not been able to finish this sock without all your help. It's not perfect, theres two holes on the sides but it's complete! Also it was my first time grafting so it's not perfect either. I am sure the matching sock will be better now that I have gone through it once. Also not sure how to weave in the ends lol but here it is!

Jan in CA 01-05-2012 04:02 PM

Yay! It looks great for you first sock! Now you know the way to do it each one will get easier and better. :thumbsup:

Weaving in ends -
http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall04/FEATfall04TT.html

LoveBugAngel 01-05-2012 04:14 PM

Thanks Jan!

You know the holes I talked about on both sides? Is that from the gussett? When I picked up stitches? I noticed that there was a space but wasn't sure if I should have picked up more stitches, then knit two together to make the proper amount of stitches. I also have a hole under the foot, I noticed as I was knitting in the round I was getting a big string between two needles.

Olha 01-05-2012 05:06 PM

Congratulations on a serious 3D object! :) Not sure about the holes... could be that it needed just one more stitch in there. I am working on a pair of socks myself and the pattern that I printed out for inspiration called for M1 in that particular spot.

As for 'ladders', the stretched stitches between the needles, there are two things you could do:
1. Pull the yarn somewhat tighter when you make the first stitch on the left needle.
2. Change the spot between needles by slipping a few stitches from one needle to another every 3-4 rows. So, if you had say 10 and 10 on each, make it 8 and 12 and then 12 and 8.

Hope that helps.

Jan in CA 01-05-2012 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveBugAngel (Post 1338630)
Thanks Jan!

You know the holes I talked about on both sides? Is that from the gussett? When I picked up stitches? I noticed that there was a space but wasn't sure if I should have picked up more stitches, then knit two together to make the proper amount of stitches. I also have a hole under the foot, I noticed as I was knitting in the round I was getting a big string between two needles.

Yes, that is the gusset and it's a common spot to have holes. I pick up an extra stitch on the first one and I usually pick up the back loop. You can also twist it by knitting into the back of the stitch which makes it tighter.

A hole under the foot..sounds like maybe you dropped a stitch?

salmonmac 01-05-2012 05:19 PM

Fantastic! You did it, you did a great job of it. Now do that second sock with modifications at the gusset. Well done!

nonny2t 01-05-2012 06:16 PM

Socks, though not hard once you get the hang of them are very scary to start with. Yours are great and a great color. The more you make them the better you get at them.

justplaincharlotte 01-05-2012 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveBugAngel (Post 1338624)
Thank you all SO much for being SO patient with me, I would have not been able to finish this sock without all your help. It's not perfect, theres two holes on the sides but it's complete! Also it was my first time grafting so it's not perfect either. I am sure the matching sock will be better now that I have gone through it once. Also not sure how to weave in the ends lol but here it is!

:yay:WOOHOO!!!!:yay: Good for you! Nice first sock! :thumbsup:

The first sock you knit will always be the hardest one, after that they become quite addictive. Or at least that's been my experience.:mrgreen:

Congratulations again!

MrsPilgrim 01-05-2012 08:28 PM

:woot: Congratulations LoveBug! I was just reading your thread in "how to" and am chuffed you kept trying. It feels so good when a challenge is overcome and going from scarves to beanies to socks is a big leap. I've not dared to try socks yet but your perserverance is encouraging to this sockophobic. :oo: :)

GrumpyGramma 01-05-2012 08:42 PM

Nice! I'm impressed. :cheering: :woohoo: