KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Novice Knitter Needs Help (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107386)

celaeno 01-09-2012 04:37 PM

Novice Knitter Needs Help

Hi. I have just started knitting and am on my own right now. I thought I knew how to do a knit stitch and a purl stitch. Mostly, I do. But my question is this: When you make the first few stitches of either stitch, is the tail supposed to be in any of them?

Thanks!

ArtLady1981 01-09-2012 06:49 PM

No, not usually.

SOMETIMES, knitters will knit the first 3 stitches using both the working yarn and the tail on the very first row. The purpose is to dispose of the tail. There are occasions where it's a handy trick!

The "working yarn" is the yarn that comes out of the skein.

salmonmac 01-09-2012 08:10 PM

Here's a video that shows you just what ArtLady is describing.

suzeeq 01-09-2012 09:33 PM

The tail might flop around and get picked up with the working yarn, or poke into the sts which could be okay. You can usually fix it when you're done.

celaeno 01-11-2012 02:23 PM

Dual Reply

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArtLady1981 (Post 1339119)
No, not usually.

SOMETIMES, knitters will knit the first 3 stitches using both the working yarn and the tail on the very first row. The purpose is to dispose of the tail. There are occasions where it's a handy trick!

The "working yarn" is the yarn that comes out of the skein.

Actually, I had already seen the video that salmonmac referred me to to illustrate your reply. I found it revelatory but a bit unsettling. The reason for the latter is that, looking at the video, I could see even then that there was obviously going to be a big part of the finished product that was going to stick out. So, 1) Why would anyone ever want to do that?; and, 2) Is the best answer simply to cut the tail off after one has finished casting on? Thank you for your help.

Celaeno

celaeno 01-11-2012 02:27 PM

Dual Reply

Quote:

Originally Posted by salmonmac (Post 1339133)
Here's a video that shows you just what ArtLady is describing.

Actually, I had already seen the video that [you] referred me to to illustrate your reply. I found it revelatory but a bit unsettling. The reason for the latter is that, looking at the video, I could see even then that there was obviously going to be a big part of the finished product that was going to stick out. So, 1) Why would anyone ever want to do that?; and, 2) Is the best answer simply to cut the tail off after one has finished casting on?

Daylilydayzed 01-11-2012 04:19 PM

You can weave it in to some stitches on the wrongs side . Just google weaving in yarn tail

salmonmac 01-11-2012 05:51 PM

Daylily is right. If you just cut it off, the end will work its way out of the first couple of sts. Weaving in the end or working the first few sts with both the working yarn and tail are the usual ways to handle this. Actually, knitting with both the working yarn and tail is unnoticeable. I think you see it so much in the video because itís such thick yarn on maybe a smaller needle.

suzeeq 01-11-2012 09:19 PM

You wouldn't want to cut the tail off right next to the st, leave a few inches to work it into the sts later to hide it and keep it from working loose.

GrumpyGramma 01-11-2012 10:28 PM

Quote:

2) Is the best answer simply to cut the tail off after one has finished casting on?
Tempting, very tempting. That's what I wanted to do when I first started to crochet, learned the hard way that more experienced people really did have a reason for doing things the way they do. If that end works loose, everything comes loose after that first stitch comes out. Aren't we lucky to have people who know how to do these things to turn to? When in doubt, ask. You absolutely made the best choice in checking it out.